U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 AM
 
2,245 posts, read 4,301,753 times
Reputation: 1105

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
I don't understand. In a prior post you indicated they were still getting step increases. Doesn't sound like a "freeze" but more a forbearance of their annual raise.
Step increases arent raises. They are increases as you step up in seniority. Raises are increases in salary that have nothing to do without how long you are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 AM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
16,823 posts, read 25,931,376 times
Reputation: 12768
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Step increases arent raises. They are increases as you step up in seniority. Raises are increases in salary that have nothing to do without how long you are there.
A step increase is not an increase in salary? Only seniority?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM
 
72 posts, read 177,829 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Step increases arent raises. They are increases as you step up in seniority. Raises are increases in salary that have nothing to do without how long you are there.

A step increase is a guaranteed incremental raise. Period. It's separate so that it can remain GUARANTEED even in light of austerity budgets and bad economies. Got's to get their's regardless of how the community or tax base is doing. Commercial tax base decimated?! Step raise guaranteed. Unemployment over 10%?! Step raise guaranteed. It's a hedge against the district's crying poverty over merit or general pay raises. It's a raise by every definition. "But we're taking a freeze!" Not on the step raise they're not. Guaranteed in the contract. Backed by the state constitution. "Nice work if you can... buy a politician, errr I mean "get it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 09:29 AM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
16,823 posts, read 25,931,376 times
Reputation: 12768
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magillicuddy View Post
A step increase is a guaranteed incremental raise. Period. ."
That's what I thought - agw was making it sound like money was not involved.

And where have you been, macgillicuddy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 AM
 
2,245 posts, read 4,301,753 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That's what I thought - agw was making it sound like money was not involved.

And where have you been, macgillicuddy?
Never said it wasnt a raise and there wasnt money involved. It is an increase in salary of flat base amount, generally in the 1-2K range. Its not a %centage based increase.

Should STEPs be frozen too? Sure they should be but thats a negotiation item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 AM
 
4,725 posts, read 10,332,654 times
Reputation: 2300
A increase in income is a raise..no matter how they try to shield it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 10:59 AM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
16,823 posts, read 25,931,376 times
Reputation: 12768
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Step increases arent raises. .
You never said it wasn't a raise???

Roc, you are 100% right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM
 
2,245 posts, read 4,301,753 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You never said it wasn't a raise???

Roc, you are 100% right.
They arent raises per se. Raises, by defintion used in these contracts are %s of current salary. STEP increases are fixed dollar amounts.

Yes they are increases no matter how you cut it. But a $1200 step increase is going to result in $600 take home pay (maybe) after taxes, savings, etc... You are talking $23 every pay check max value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 12:49 PM
 
2,630 posts, read 4,232,861 times
Reputation: 1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
They arent raises per se. Raises, by defintion used in these contracts are %s of current salary. STEP increases are fixed dollar amounts.

Yes they are increases no matter how you cut it. But a $1200 step increase is going to result in $600 take home pay (maybe) after taxes, savings, etc... You are talking $23 every pay check max value.
Not correct. Before the freeze of last year my district's contract had step increase at 3.5% and annual raises at 3.5% for total 7%. When the "freeze" went into effect, they got the 3.5% step only. Not a fixed dollar amount. 3.5%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 PM
 
2,245 posts, read 4,301,753 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Not correct. Before the freeze of last year my district's contract had step increase at 3.5% and annual raises at 3.5% for total 7%. When the "freeze" went into effect, they got the 3.5% step only. Not a fixed dollar amount. 3.5%.
Maybe in your district. Here we used fixed amounts for STEPs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top