Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The City of Richmond itself has a terrible crime. A friend of mind moved to the suburbs and works for the Richmond PD. He worked in the one of the worst precincts in NYC, but where as he alwyas had a partner before, now he rides alone. The projects on the east side of Richmond are pretty bad. I wouldn't want to live anywhere near there.

The suburbs are a different story, although I wouldn't say the area has retained any more of it's original character than Long Island. The main strips are still mostly chains.

Really he's afraid of the projects on the east side of RVA I worked in the worse parts of NYC during the height of the Murder and Crack epidemic of the late 80's and early 90's. This place feels like kindergarten to me compared to what I saw and responded to back then. He's scared now you should have seen this city (Richmond) 15 years ago, It has improved so much since then and is totally changing for the better.

And you want to know something I'm in the city 2 or 3 x's a week, so I talk from experience not from others! Also a very good friend of mine is a Capt. in the RPD and has been there for 31 years...you should hear is stories from the old days, your friend wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes! Peace from Central VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
We are in Henrico outside of Richmond. We have all the ammenities of the NY area without the traffic or COL.
Really!? How are the Broadway shows down there?

Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Really he's afraid of the projects on the east side of RVA I worked in the worse parts of NYC during the height of the Murder and Crack epidemic of the late 80's and early 90's. This place feels like kindergarten to me compared to what I saw and responded to back then. He's scared now you should have seen this city (Richmond) 15 years ago, It has improved so much since then and is totally changing for the better.

And you want to know something I'm in the city 2 or 3 x's a week, so I talk from experience not from others! Also a very good friend of mine is a Capt. in the RPD and has been there for 31 years...you should hear is stories from the old days, your friend wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes! Peace from Central VA.
...because I said he's afraid of the projects.....

Presumptuous much Mike?

Both the violent and property crime rates in Richmond are significantly higher than NYC, by the way.

Now I know this is city-data, where anecdotes from the self congratulatory or self serving always trump facts, stats, or reality, so I'll just stop. We've already gone past any chance at rational discussion into the inevitable ego driven pee contest with your first sentence.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Hey man ,bottom line it's not as bad as perceived or its past reputation. And p.s. I'm typing this right now from the heart of the city! Hopefully I won't be shot before finishing this post or my iPhone wont be stolen from me! Experience counts! Not talk from from 400 miles away

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Break it up, you two. Everyone knows Cary, NC is the best place to live!

Old 05-13-2013, 01:10 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I'll throw a vote in for the northern half of VA...but far enough from DC to avoid that mess. Even as far south as Richmond is very nice (as stated above by OCNGYPZ in Chesterfield CO). I live in Culpeper which is small-townish, but the schools are good and the taxes on a 340K house with 1.5 acres are $3100 a year.

Come visit, but don't expect to find a decent bagel.
I've always been a fan of NoVA in general, but how are the pizza and beach (can you even get to one in decent time?)

BTW, I recently read North Carolina has one of the higher rates of skin cancer (#6 of 50). NY is 39. http://www.weather.com/health/worst-...tates-20130507

Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Really!? How are the Broadway shows down there?
A resonable selection of the touring companies for those that want them. Besides what I save a year in property taxes I can go to NYC for the weekend and see them on Broadway if I want.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I've always been a fan of NoVA in general, but how are the pizza and beach (can you even get to one in decent time?)

BTW, I recently read North Carolina has one of the higher rates of skin cancer (#6 of 50). NY is 39. The Worst States for Your Skin - weather.com
I believe it. I don't sit in the sun but I am always halfway to tan since we moved here.

You can keep the beach. That was a once a year thing when we lived on LI, and nothing has changed that. Except now we can leave the sand in the hotel room.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:35 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
A resonable selection of the touring companies for those that want them. Besides what I save a year in property taxes I can go to NYC for the weekend and see them on Broadway if I want.
Listen, anyone who's seen my posts knows that I'm no fan of Long Island these days. However, the two-bit touring companies that come through the places like Richmond are not Broadway. I've seen what passes for "entertainment" outside of Manhattan and it ain't much.

Let's not go overboard on praising the Long Island alternatives. There are already enough reasons to leave (LIRR, LIPA, traffic, taxes, etc.) without attacking the good things that we still have here, like Broadway, ethnic food and the beaches. I've sampled the donut-shaped Wonder Bread that they call "bagels" down south.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:10 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Listen, anyone who's seen my posts knows that I'm no fan of Long Island these days. However, the two-bit touring companies that come through the places like Richmond are not Broadway. I've seen what passes for "entertainment" outside of Manhattan and it ain't much.

Let's not go overboard on praising the Long Island alternatives. There are already enough reasons to leave (LIRR, LIPA, traffic, taxes, etc.) without attacking the good things that we still have here, like Broadway, ethnic food and the beaches. I've sampled the donut-shaped Wonder Bread that they call "bagels" down south.
Breath....

Broadway may be an issue to you for me it's not. NY City is a world standard itself and no locale short of London, Tokyo, LA could match it but I don't think the OP is looking for NYC.

I don't know why you are so insecure that life and culture could possible exist beyond your Sandy ravaged shores. I do have a very good bagel place and my reference to traffic & COL are true as is my reference to "COL is significantly lower than the DC metro area"

I guess you should either chastice the OP for even voicing a desire to leave Shangra-La or accept that life and ammenties do exist past the NY State Line....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island