Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 08:23 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times

Advertisements

and these are the same people who bloviate about shopping at their local mom and pops rather than evil walmart...

go ask an employee in the local stores about their pension and health plans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
and these are the same people who bloviate about shopping at their local mom and pops rather than evil walmart...

go ask an employee in the local stores about their pension and health plans...
I don't think it's fair to compare a store that is likely just getting by in this economy to a global corporation that has 8500 locations.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Expansion of Walmart is just more of the overall contraction of LI's economy. Drive Waldbaums under and then give nifty tax breaks to Wally to fill the boarded up space. No Sonics or White Castle but double the Walmart?! Seems rather nit-picky. Thanks, Kate and Co. for more spectacularly ambitious economic development. You guys rock! I'm so thankful you're there to protect our "unique suburban character." Who needs high tech? The line for Walmart Market jobs goes down and around the block. Leadership. Creating jobs. Yay.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I don't think it's fair to compare a store that is likely just getting by in this economy to a global corporation that has 8500 locations.
Yes..its a corporation NOT a social services organization.

Mom and Pops suck unless they give you unique services or products. I love watching their over priced butts go under.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:

Mom and Pops suck unless they give you unique services or products. I love watching their over priced butts go under.
But until we disassociate employment with health coverage, it's a pretty common assumption that an employer that cares about their employees will provide coverage if they can.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:

I get your point but have to disagree a little there. I don't see too many Walmart screen prints on the local little league teams or soccer squads. It's the mom and pops who support local stuff like that and I'm glad to support them. Will use Wallyworld too when it makes sense but the local pizzerias and dry cleaners will be here busting their humps and paying their taxes (commercial property AND residential property AND sales AND payroll) long after Wally downsizes and lays off 10k regionally with one stroke of the pen.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 AM

As I said, I dont mind patronizing the locals when they provide a unique product or service. Im not going to buy a product at the local variety store that costs 2 to 3 times more than at Walmart.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 AM

321 posts, read 595,951 times
If you want to buy a product from a big box store, shop at Target. They provide their workers with medical coverage, flexible hours, competitive pay, etc.

Wal-Mart treats their employees like garbage.

Furthermore, you will notice that when you enter a Wal-Mart you have crossed the threshold or a trans-dimensional portal and are instantly surrounded by people with various medical disabilities, substance addictions and general lack of oral hygiene. (Does insisting on driving at the exact posted speed limit count as a mental disability?)

I refuse to spend my money at a store that is generally filthy, has cheap products and doesn't take care of its employees.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Who cares how they treat their employees. Do I worry about how every company treats their employees...absolutely not, and neither do you. So why are you focusing just on Walmart?

You just proved you have a prime seat on the Hate Walmart bandwagon.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:17 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
Furthermore, you will notice that when you enter a Wal-Mart you have crossed the threshold or a trans-dimensional portal and are instantly surrounded by people with various medical disabilities, substance addictions and general lack of oral hygiene. (Does insisting on driving at the exact posted speed limit count as a mental disability?)
People with disabilities bother you? They can't help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island