Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 PM

238 posts, read 1,954,211 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I are currently in underwriting for our first house on Long Island. We grew up here so this is where our friends, family, and careers are. It's really all we know (with the exception of living in Queens for a while). While we're hopeful that we'll be approved for the mortgage, and would be ecstatic to own this house, we're not blind to the present and future problems facing Long Islanders (specifically, Nassau County). Houses are extremely expensive, lot sizes are small, property taxes are unreal, infrastructure seems to be crumbling around us, people seem to be leaving LI in droves, etc.

I don't want to think this way, but in the event that we don't get approved for this loan, we've been discussing the possibility of relocating out of New York to a part of the country not facing the abovementioned problems (or at least to a lesser extent). The problem is that we have no idea where that may be. Being from NY, we definitely don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. We don't like urban living, or rural for that matter.

Where would one find a suburb with low crime rates, good schools, reasonable house prices/property taxes (compared to NY), and just an all around nice place to raise a family? Preferably it would be within an hour drive to a city (large or small).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 PM

884 posts, read 1,402,476 times
You're not allowed to leave.

Seriously, you'd have to find out where the jobs are for you both. From there, go to the forums of those areas and then start drilling down.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by useasdirected View Post
You're not allowed to leave.

Seriously, you'd have to find out where the jobs are for you both. From there, go to the forums of those areas and then start drilling down.
We both work in fields that could probably be found almost anywhere (medical and IT).

Old 05-15-2013, 02:11 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,950,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge13 View Post
We both work in fields that could probably be found almost anywhere (medical and IT).
Gosh, I hate to sound like a broken record....but............

Chesterfield, Co VA

Old 05-15-2013, 02:14 PM

19,100 posts, read 16,913,475 times
/\

Or Central Virginia in general......

Old 05-15-2013, 02:21 PM

796 posts, read 1,747,835 times
If you're looking for an hour drive or less to Manhattan, perhaps you should look at Brooklyn.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
If you're looking for an hour drive or less to Manhattan, perhaps you should look at Brooklyn.
Thanks, but not at all what we're looking for. Too urban, and no less expensive than LI. Again - looking to leave NY.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:29 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,989,761 times
What is it with people and manhattan unless your going to curse bloomberg out i see no reason to step foot there.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
What is it with people and manhattan unless your going to curse bloomberg out i see no reason to step foot there.
I can understand the appeal. There's a lot going on at all times. Doesn't do much for me, but I get it.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:49 PM

22,635 posts, read 36,598,102 times
Go where you can get a job. Everyone thinks their skills are transferable but in some places (like where I live) IT folks are a dime a dozen (not to say there aren't jobs, but there's lot of competition). Also, the pay in certain places is more than adjusted for COL - nurses make very little money where I live - way less than LI, not just a little less.

Start thinking about places you've been that you like. Or what kind of atmosphere/weather/vibe you like. Lurk on some forums here on CD.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island