Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:40 AM

113 posts, read 126,967 times

Advertisements

Me and my girlfriend at the time ( fiance now ), are currently renting a house in Hicksville. We moved in last January, did not sign a lease, and we have a month to month agreement. I know that is very dumb to do but she seemed like a nice old lady so we didnt feel she would try to take advantage of us.

There was a tiny room/attic upstairs that she promised no one would be living in when we moved in. The room has a bathroom/small kitchen, if that matters for code enforcement. So about 2 weeks after were settled in, the landlord informs us her brother from Poland is coming to visit, and if we mind if he would stay up in the room for 2 weeks at most. She said hes quiet, and harmless. We didnt love the idea but said ok to keep the peace.

The very first night the brother is here, he rings our bell at 8am asking for a ride to church, all day he keeps knocking on the door asking to use our telephone. I go to work ( i work nights) and my gf told me she was sitting outside and the guy started talking to her and saying crazy things, that made no sense like he belongs in some kind of asylum. So the landlord and her boyfriend were in Mexico the next day for a week and we had no way to contact them, so we were stuck living in that situation for a week. She finally came back and i flipped out Im like this guy has to leave NOW or you can forget about rent for this month. She ended up moving him to another house she owns further out.

Crisis averted ( or so we thought). About the start of November, the landlord informs us her father is coming up from FlA and he needs somewhere to stay, so hes going to be staying in the infamous supposedly empty room. She says only for the winter but at this point I want no part of helping her, so I tell her again were not paying you a dime if you put someone else up there. She basically Moderator cut: language removed me, saying you have no say in the matter and I can do what I want. At this point my GF stepped in and she likes living here so she tried to calm me down and said can we just try it for the winter and see how it is? Happy wife, Happy life right?

So come this May 1st when hes supposed to be gone, the landlord informs us that he likes it here and hes going to staying indefintly. I lose it at this point, yelling at the guy every day to shut up ( he makes alot of noise up there and yells when he talks in polish). this went on for about a week, when one night my GF saw him emptying some liquid out of a bottle out his window. she goes over to smell what it is, the guy was peeing in bottles and emptying them out the window like he didnt have a care in the world.

So this is the situation were living in now. I called the town of oyster bay a few times and basically they told me they can either send an inspector out if we file a complaint or we can move. We choose to go the 2nd route, were actively looking for a house to buy this time. My question to you guys, is within legal means, what can we do to get this dragonlady back for all the drama she has caused us over the last year. So far on my list is defintly call the town and file that complaint, and also when she shows the house to other people, tell them bad things about the landlord and to not even think bout renting this place? Any more ideas ? would really be appreiciated :-)

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-24-2013 at 05:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 04:25 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,061,606 times
and dont pay the rent while you are looking for another house. She will have to legally evict you. But, then again, she sounds a bit nuts.

Find a house fast.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:58 AM

70 posts, read 174,913 times
Why didn't you start looking for a place the day the brother knocked on the door?

Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 AM

654 posts, read 2,119,366 times
Default Horrible Landlord

I can see your frustration, but I would NOT stop paying rent; especially if you are looking to purchase.

If your landlord chooses to evict you she can also bring a suit against you for monies owed. A judgement,

more than likely, will show up when the bank runs your credit which will result in NO LOAN.

Not a good idea.

Does the person upstairs have their own entrance?

Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 AM

429 posts, read 852,536 times
OMG, I have no idea, but what a nightmare. This sounds like a Will Ferrell movie in the making.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:00 AM

67 posts, read 110,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
I can see your frustration, but I would NOT stop paying rent; especially if you are looking to purchase.

If your landlord chooses to evict you she can also bring a suit against you for monies owed. A judgement,

more than likely, will show up when the bank runs your credit which will result in NO LOAN.

Not a good idea.

Does the person upstairs have their own entrance?
With no lease? I doubt this lady is going to start eviction proceedings. She sounds a bit loony.

I would just call the town on her. At that point she can't touch you., Let them know there is no BATHROOM so the person up there is throwing urine (and probably poo) out the window.

And let the neighbors know about the potty situation after you leave.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,723,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsarcastic View Post
With no lease? I doubt this lady is going to start eviction proceedings. She sounds a bit loony.

I would just call the town on her. At that point she can't touch you., Let them know there is no BATHROOM so the person up there is throwing urine (and probably poo) out the window.

And let the neighbors know about the potty situation after you leave.
The original posts states there IS a bathroom and kitchen up in the attic.

Sounds completely illegal to me. I would call the town on the LL

Old 05-24-2013, 07:11 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,723,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor Joe View Post
Why didn't you start looking for a place the day the brother knocked on the door?
You know, I LOVE when people say "just move" or "why didn't you start looking the first time".

Guess what?? It costs A LOT of money to "just move"!!! At the very least, 3 months' rent (usually more), moving truck, etc We're talking thousands of dollars --- in this situation, probably $10K if he's renting an entire house and is looking to rent another house.

Do YOU have $10K on hand, just laying around waiting to "just move"? Didn't think so.

I know the OP is looking to purchase a house at this point and I hope they find one quickly, but the "just move" statement is worthless advice to anyone in a bad rental situation.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:12 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,969,314 times
Are you renting the entire SFH or just a room in it?

Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 AM

238 posts, read 1,957,124 times
I'd totally stop paying rent. The way I understand it, legally evicting a tenant can take several months, or even years, so you can probably stop paying her and take your time finding a house. I'm not one to take that kind of **** laying down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island