U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2013, 09:20 PM
 
75 posts, read 152,454 times
Reputation: 32

Advertisements

As of 8/19/2012
E M Baker elementary school asian population 19%
Great Neck North Middle school asian population 10%
Great Neck North High school asian population 9%

Does this data suggests Asian population is experiencing a huge increase (added 9%) in recent 5 years (2007-2012)?

Any flaw in the above logic?

E M Baker School - New York State Test Scores - The New York Times
Great Neck North High School - New York State Test Scores - The New York Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2013, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
19,017 posts, read 15,472,483 times
Reputation: 3956
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainpoint View Post
As of 8/19/2012
E M Baker elementary school asian population 19%
Great Neck North Middle school asian population 10%
Great Neck North High school asian population 9%

Does this data suggests Asian population is experiencing a huge increase (added 9%) in recent 5 years (2007-2012)?

Any flaw in the above logic?

E M Baker School - New York State Test Scores - The New York Times
Great Neck North High School - New York State Test Scores - The New York Times
A few things. That data is a bit old. Looking up the last report 2011-2012 school year, E.M Baker was 27% Asian, which was up from 16% 5 years prior.

https://reportcards.nysed.gov/files/...0407030006.pdf

However, that doesn't mean you will see the same change in Great Neck North. More than one Elementary schools feed into both Great Neck North and South. So even if you see a large change in one elementary school it doesn't mean you will see a change once you get to the middle and high school level if the other elementary schools don't have the same changes.

With that being said there is no question Great Neck has a growing Asian population, however that growth has been almost entirely in the southern sections of Great Neck (E.M Baker, may actually feed into South Great Neck, though I'm not sure.

As of the 2011-2012 school year North Great Neck was 11% Asian, virtually unchanged from 2006-2007 where it was 10% Asian. South Great Neck was 32% Asian during the 06-07 school year and 45% Asian during the 2011-2012 school year.


Not that any of this means anything. When it comes down to it the important factor is the quality of the education, and no matter what the school in Great Neck the quality of the education is excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 06:28 AM
 
75 posts, read 152,454 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
https://reportcards.nysed.gov/files/...0407030006.pdf

However, that doesn't mean you will see the same change in Great Neck North. More than one Elementary schools feed into both Great Neck North and South. So even if you see a large change in one elementary school it doesn't mean you will see a change once you get to the middle and high school level if the other elementary schools don't have the same changes.
Which other elementary school feed into Great Neck North High? If the other elementary school also experienced similar growth, we should be able to say most recent 5 years, asian population growth in north Great Neck is mainly come from families with young children who are mainly under K5 level
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 01:07 PM
 
145 posts, read 453,217 times
Reputation: 77
Asian growth is not only increasing in Great Neck but asian population is increasing in a West to Easterly direction across Long Island. Just have to get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 01:09 PM
 
863 posts, read 1,826,055 times
Reputation: 462
It's nice to know that no matter what minority you are people are a little concerned when you move into their neighborhood. Thank you Long Island NIMB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 03:08 PM
 
28 posts, read 47,436 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainpoint View Post
Which other elementary school feed into Great Neck North High? If the other elementary school also experienced similar growth, we should be able to say most recent 5 years, asian population growth in north Great Neck is mainly come from families with young children who are mainly under K5 level
There are 4 elementary schools in Great Neck. Only Lakeville is zoned for Great Neck South Middle/High. Other 3 (E.M. Baker, JFK, Saddle Rock) are zoned for Great Neck North Middle/High. Yeah, there are more and more Asian families move to Great Neck north for the past few years. When you see a higher % of Asian in E.M. Baker, but a lower % in North/High Schools because there are options for kids whom reside around LIRR station areas (zip code 11021); they can choose Great Neck South Middle/High or North Middle/High. These areas are zoned for EM Baker elementary school and Saddle Rock elementary school as well. The attendance options due to Great Neck South Middle/High schools' over crowed problems. For non-Asian families and U.S. educated Asian parents they do prefer Great Neck North Middle/High schools over South Middle/High schools. Overall, they are all excellent schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 08:24 AM
 
12 posts, read 20,449 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhasset hills1 View Post
Asian growth is not only increasing in Great Neck but asian population is increasing in a West to Easterly direction across Long Island. Just have to get used to it.
You must be racist.. You wrote just have to get used to it.... HELLO. You live in NY, every different kind of people live here.

I can't believe you say " just have to get used to it ". I don't know what you are... but you think only white is the world. Wake up and smell the coffee racist @@@@ head. Or get out and move to Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 09:45 AM
 
70 posts, read 157,471 times
Reputation: 35
I think he meant get used to it as in they are moving there no matter what. i certainly dont see it as a negative thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 10:49 AM
 
12 posts, read 20,449 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor Joe View Post
You need to look up who a racist is. better yet...simply find a mirror.

I am not racist. I did look up the word. If you read the above post, user said
Quote:
Just have to get used to it
but for some reason, I took that in a negative way.

Asians have been living here for long time, it's nothing new. There is nothing to get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 AM
 
3,445 posts, read 5,057,741 times
Reputation: 6092
Bit sensitive there, arent we?

Maybe you should work at understanding the subtleties of the English language before you toss the race card.

Oh wait...arent you the poster who wants to live around Indians in Texas? Do you have a problem with southern white people? They have been there a long time, you might have to get use to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top