Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 07:33 PM
rbe rbe started this thread

2 posts, read 3,949 times

Advertisements

Lesbian couple thinking of relocating (from a landlocked New England area) to the south end of Bay Park, East Rockaway. Any suggestions? Crime/Hate-Crime? Flooding? Snow? Hurricanes? Any other information that you suggest I consider? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,668 times
Bay Park Sewage Plant Sandy Spill Ranks Worst in NY | Long Island Press

Old 06-02-2013, 08:03 PM

654 posts, read 2,120,758 times
Both East and west Blvd and all the blocks off of the flood.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbe View Post
Lesbian couple thinking of relocating (from a landlocked New England area) to the south end of Bay Park, East Rockaway. Any suggestions? Crime/Hate-Crime? Flooding? Snow? Hurricanes? Any other information that you suggest I consider? Thanks.
Don't do it. Flooding for one thing. But the social mores of the prevalent type of people living there lately would probably reject and abuse you for being lesbians so expect it if you dare more there. East Rockaway lately is like Shirley/Mastic West (areas with lowlife white people in Suffolk County LI) with the quality of people in there, which is very nasty, backward and low class. One way it is shown is by what is going on in the schools ... bullying problem fully sanctioned by parents (of bullies), teachers and administrators. Woe to any kid who is intellectual, sensitive, actually has a heart or is artistic. I don't think lesbians would be treated any better from what I have heard the way kids who are a little different or sensitive are abused in the East Rockaway schools with the full knowledge and consent of the parents of the bullies and the teachers and school officials. They literally spit in the face of anyone trying to combat bullying in the schools. It is a very NONPROGRESSIVE community. If your kid (male or female) isn't a "he man macho/macha nasty little loudmouth disrespectful abusive snotnosed jerk" you will literally have to put your house up for rent or sale and move out of the district because bullying and mobbing is the accepted thing in the schools over there and the adults who are supposed to be parents, role models or in authority fully lead the charge by bullying other adults and approve the nasty behavior of the bully children. I know you may not have kids, but take this as a reflection on the values of the community in general. It is surreal in the 21st century.

I don't think lesbians stand a chance with the attitudes running rampant in East Rockaway these days that are being passed onto the younger generation. Move somewhere that is more enlightened, progressive and less biased and boorish and is out of the low brow caveman days. Plenty of better places on LI for you. Maybe you are interested in Bay Park because it is "affordable." Well, sometimes "affordable" gets you a very poor type of neighbor even if the place is "majority white" (oops sorry for being non-PC) and supposedly safer because of being majority white. Well, if the neighbors have hatred and bullying in their hearts, majority white won't keep the crime rate down against those who are "different" and those who are different can expect things like vandalism to property, bullying, shunning and name calling at the very least. Physical attacks on drunken weekend binge nights might not be out of the question if you are the types to not cower in the house but will come outside and loudly stick up for yourselves.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 06-02-2013 at 09:43 PM..

Old 06-02-2013, 10:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Default Some Neighbors You Will Meet in East Rockaway

Long Island hot-dog hooker Catherine Scalia; back to her old tricks; says she was framed - NYPOST.com

Quote:
The cop contacted her, requesting a “massage†at a Red Roof Inn at around 5:15 pm, according to cops and court documents. Scalia, who lives in East Rockaway, drove her hot-dog truck to meet the undercover John, a source said.
Fire chief used department vehicle on romantic rendezvous: officials* - NY Daily News

Quote:
East Rockaway, N.Y., fire chief Steven Torborg, who resigned on March 22, misused the department vehicle, making a dozen off-site stops at a wooded location, village officials said. A private investigator even caught the former chief and a woman in "various states of undress."
Dirtbags galore! No wonder its nickname is "East Rotaway!"

Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Don't do it. Flooding for one thing. But the social mores of the prevalent type of people living there lately would probably reject and abuse you for being lesbians so expect it if you dare more there. East Rockaway lately is like Shirley/Mastic West (areas with lowlife white people in Suffolk County LI) with the quality of people in there, which is very nasty, backward and low class. One way it is shown is by what is going on in the schools ... bullying problem fully sanctioned by parents (of bullies), teachers and administrators. Woe to any kid who is intellectual, sensitive, actually has a heart or is artistic. I don't think lesbians would be treated any better from what I have heard the way kids who are a little different or sensitive are abused in the East Rockaway schools with the full knowledge and consent of the parents of the bullies and the teachers and school officials. They literally spit in the face of anyone trying to combat bullying in the schools. It is a very NONPROGRESSIVE community. If your kid (male or female) isn't a "he man macho/macha nasty little loudmouth disrespectful abusive snotnosed jerk" you will literally have to put your house up for rent or sale and move out of the district because bullying and mobbing is the accepted thing in the schools over there and the adults who are supposed to be parents, role models or in authority fully lead the charge by bullying other adults and approve the nasty behavior of the bully children. I know you may not have kids, but take this as a reflection on the values of the community in general. It is surreal in the 21st century.

I don't think lesbians stand a chance with the attitudes running rampant in East Rockaway these days that are being passed onto the younger generation. Move somewhere that is more enlightened, progressive and less biased and boorish and is out of the low brow caveman days. Plenty of better places on LI for you. Maybe you are interested in Bay Park because it is "affordable." Well, sometimes "affordable" gets you a very poor type of neighbor even if the place is "majority white" (oops sorry for being non-PC) and supposedly safer because of being majority white. Well, if the neighbors have hatred and bullying in their hearts, majority white won't keep the crime rate down against those who are "different" and those who are different can expect things like vandalism to property, bullying, shunning and name calling at the very least. Physical attacks on drunken weekend binge nights might not be out of the question if you are the types to not cower in the house but will come outside and loudly stick up for yourselves.
A few things.... where does the OP say anything about children? or schools? This also sound like your opinions but here's some facts!

They're more hate crimes in VALLEY STREAM than EAST ROCKAWAY more overall crime in V.S than ER, and yes it's probably due to the fact V.S is more ethnically and racially diverse. V.S. also borders less desirable neighborhoods and also has that movie theater and Mall. Also in V.S. you have a lot of undesirables and 'gangs' coming in from Queens to 'party' 'shop' 'intermediate' 'steal and rob'.

Most of Long Island is basically the same with a few exceptions here and there. Do you think 2 or 3 miles makes that much of a difference? V.S. and Lynbrook are that much more enlightened and progressive than East Rockaway...wow I didn't see much change driving from V.S. to E.R.

Why would they reject Lesbians in E.R. more so than any other own on L.I.? Is this a fact? Do they beat up and burn down the homes of people that are in alternative lifestyles in East Rockaway? But don't in other towns across L.I.

I think you are painting a certain community with a very very broad brush...If you google any town on L.I you'll come up with something negative.....who cares a loose woman that likes to give oral jobs for a few bucks calls it home I could find murders that live or have lived in V.S.

To be honest OP.... flooding would be my number one concern not any of the other nonsense

Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 AM

67 posts, read 111,012 times
You know this how? Because you got beaten up in high school 20 years ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Old 06-03-2013, 06:07 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Get a sump pump......I would be very careful buying in that area. Try to determine the areas that were not flooded during Sandy.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:42 AM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
That area near the canals is in a state of flux with all the damage to homes, some were rental properties that people walked away from as they have been flooded 2 years in a row. It's not a very wealthy area for the most part so many also did not have the money to rebuild. The south west area over near Seawanne Golf Course, properties right on the canal never got flooded at all because of the higher elevation. The area around the eastern most canal and north of the sewage treatment plant was severely flooded two years in a row, went all the way up to the main roads.

You should talk to a real estate agent relative to their take on how you would fit, there are good and bad in that area just like any other community, depends on your immediate neighbors more than anything else.

There is a great link in the article below to the flooding.

Map of the Day: Predicted Sandy Flooding vs. Real Sandy Flooding - Henry Grabar - The Atlantic Cities

Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Ick..........wouldn't be my first choice, nor my 50th choice.

Is there something about the area which appealed to you?

What about work/commutation needs?

And the all important budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island