Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:00 PM
HIS HIS started this thread

146 posts, read 279,699 times

Advertisements

Hi I just bought a place in Syosset. The house comes with an Oil unit that was put in the same year the house was made - so i would like to convert to Gas.

I have had Universe come in and give me an estimate....9700 is the pay now price and 10700 is the pay over time price. This price includes everything, getting the permit from the Town of Oyster Bay, unit, removal of oil tank, chimney liner, everything.

I would like to call other players too in order to get estimates.

Anyone know of any ??

I have called national grid and they told me that they dont have a list of contractors.

PLEASE HELP !!! I want to move fast as i hear that there is a 12 week wait for Gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 04:37 AM

376 posts, read 1,016,207 times
you don't need a plumber to put yourself on the national grid list for the gas conversion , you can list yourself by calling them directly . With today's high efficient gas boilers you would NOT need a chimney liner , it gets vented out the side of your house or a PVC pipe up the chimney depending on the layout .

Old 06-04-2013, 08:39 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Put yourself on the waiting list.

We'll come up with referrals while you're "waiting"

Old 06-04-2013, 08:57 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
I had Universe give me an estimate too but I chose not to go with them. The guy giving me an estimate seemed too much like a salesman and told me that I would be making a huge mistake going with someone else. Their estimates were somewhat high and I didn't get a reassuring feeling that they were going to do the job right.

The other plumbers that gave me an estimate went through a detailed explanation of what they were going to do and didn't try to hard to sell me on going with them. I would suggest that you start looking online for "oil to gas conversion" in Long Island and you will see several plumbers listed. Before you make a decision get estimates from as many plumbers as possible. DO NOT go with the first plumber that gave you an estimate. There are plenty of plumbers that can do the conversion for you. You need to do your homework, research them online and check with the BBB to make sure they are not shady. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:39 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Varsity plumbing and heating

Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I had Universe give me an estimate too but I chose not to go with them. The guy giving me an estimate seemed too much like a salesman and told me that I would be making a huge mistake going with someone else. Their estimates were somewhat high and I didn't get a reassuring feeling that they were going to do the job right.

The other plumbers that gave me an estimate went through a detailed explanation of what they were going to do and didn't try to hard to sell me on going with them. I would suggest that you start looking online for "oil to gas conversion" in Long Island and you will see several plumbers listed. Before you make a decision get estimates from as many plumbers as possible. DO NOT go with the first plumber that gave you an estimate. There are plenty of plumbers that can do the conversion for you. You need to do your homework, research them online and check with the BBB to make sure they are not shady. Good luck.
Can you please let me know who you used.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Put yourself on the waiting list.

We'll come up with referrals while you're "waiting"
I don't follow - what do you mean.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1458 View Post
you don't need a plumber to put yourself on the national grid list for the gas conversion , you can list yourself by calling them directly . With today's high efficient gas boilers you would NOT need a chimney liner , it gets vented out the side of your house or a PVC pipe up the chimney depending on the layout .
Yeah - I was just told about this today. I think he used the word power vent.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:11 PM

Default Hulk plumbing and heating

Anyone heard of Hulk plumbing and heating ??

Old 06-04-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Varsity plumbing and heating
Thanks - ill check them out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: