Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:12 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,498,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
I would agree with Galacia - it's nice to have the bathrooms and closets cooled down. Aren't the in-room air handlers just as obtrusive as a window unit ?
Old school a/c installation would nnot intall a/c in bathrooms. Condensation form the cold air after a hot shower would leave the diffuser dripping wet.

But with better ventilation and bigger baths, I see it in all new construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 AM

110 posts, read 214,784 times
thanks for al the feedback guys!

i personally grew up in a house with CAC and its great. it might be a bit costly to cool the whole house and i would only use the living room and bedroom. i live in a 3 bedroom house now but i only use one room and the living room. i didnt get zones installed so its either on or off...

i was looking into geting the ductless for the new house i am planning purchasing as it does not have any ductwork. saw there is a recessed unit. it is a 3 bedroom house so i was planning on going with a 5 zone unit. one zone for each bedroom and then one for the livingroom/dining/kitchen then one more zone for the den. not sure if i need a zone for the basement as it is unfinished now and might want to finish it so i have some space of my own... maybe 6 zones?

thanks for the help guys i think the ductless is the more "modern" unit?? and i think it's about half the price. i will have to look into it. will my taxes go up because of the CAC or the ductless units??

Old 06-10-2013, 09:47 AM

126 posts, read 221,149 times
We are also considering going with a mini-split system. Right now we have baseboard heat and window AC units (and a 40 year old through the wall unit in one room). We'd like to reduce our heating bill, reclaim the walls for furniture placement that the baseboard currently uses, and be able to have a conversation when the AC is going. We've considered installing central furnace and A/C systems, but the intersecting steel beams in our house mean that we'd have to surface mount the ductwork on the ceiling of the first floor. We don't have an attic so that isn't an option either.
The mini-splits should allow us to solve many of our problems. I think doing an entire house with minisplits would be ultimately more expensive and less efficient than central systems, but when retro-fitting sometimes the central system is not as viable an option. I realize that in our climate there are quite a few days when the heat-pump won't be running and it will just be resistance heat, but resistance heat is what we have now, so that isn't much of a downside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island