Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 05:14 AM

22,622 posts, read 36,563,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsalex View Post
Well, to clarify...Stewart Manor residents do not have access to any Garden City amenities -- f.
If you go to school in GC you do have access to things - it's in the very fine print. We always had kids from St. Anne's and St. Joe's on our sports teams when my kids were little. They also have access to GC public schools' winter program, it's right in the back of the catalog. Or it was when I lived in GC.

The question for the OP is, how will she feel being the "odd man out" if she does that...

I am not sure where SM kids play their sports, but they do play. My DH grew up in SM and always played sports. If you are curious about those things the thing to do is log on SM Village website or call the village directly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 AM

7,895 posts, read 9,083,435 times
I believe SM is eligible to play in the PAL program. Soccer is at Averill Blvd Park right across Tulip Ave or at Covert Ave School. Baseball is at Averill. Track at West Hempstead.

You would probably be in the Elmont/Franklin Square PAL jurisdiction.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:56 AM

175 posts, read 634,152 times
NSHL10 Is correct...sports through PAL program. SM, like the rest of Long Island, is sports-crazy...

Here's another thing to consider. For many in SM, the village is a stepping-stone to GC. You could start out in SM with a nice home, build your equity and trade up in a few years. Or grab a fixer-upper in GC and take your time renovating it.

Last edited by bubsalex; 06-10-2013 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Added info

Old 06-10-2013, 05:41 PM

25 posts, read 71,834 times
I wouldn't worry about the sports. You can do some of the GC sports as a resident of SM, but not all. I think soccer, lacrosse, and football can be done at GC. I think most SAS do little league in NHP. SAS students are usually placed together on teams so the kids are with their friends.

Not doing SAS is a valid concern, not because SM school is bad. Actually, I've heard great things about the K-5 school. But, it is true that everyone does SAS. Of the handful of families I know that tried the SM school all but 1 went back to SAS not because the SM school is bad, but because they didn't feel as much of part of the SM school community as they did the SAS community.

If you really want public, look at Floral Park. It is another nice community that would probably be in your budget. They have great public schools. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2013, 06:51 PM

15 posts, read 36,769 times
Thanks so much for all the feedback! I think at this point we have decided against the house on Elton and we are going to snag something in Garden City that needs fixing up. I spoke to both Village of Stewart Manor today and Garden City and got all the vital info. Apparently Stewart Manor was able to offer no advice about sports, parks or anything other than the fact that I can join the pool for a fee.....Garden City I got a really nice woman on the phone who spend a long time on the phone with me. Apparently the actual rules of GC are ONLY Fernwood Terrace kids that attend GC Public Schools and can PROVE it with a bus pass or report card or similar are allowed to do SOME of the activities but not all. There are NO other exceptions to kids in Stewart Manor regardless whether or not they attend school at SAS. She said there are certain other outside programs that will allow SAS kids but certainly not all. This got to me thinking what Twingles had mentioned in one of the earlier responses of being the odd man out, it certainly seems like they dont want the SM kids included and will make it very difficult to do so. To me between all of these restrictions and the fact that Id have to pay for private school from Day 1 for two kids, it really doesnt seem like Im saving any money by going to SM. Its a shame because it looks like a really adorable area but if Im paying almost the same taxes as my sister 2 streets over with none of the benefits that doesnt seem to make much sense. I was hoping to list my house and make the move this year but I may need to wait until next year to do this since I need to save a little more money to be able to get a higher mortgage to grab something in Garden City.
Now the next question LOL, any specific parts of GC that are more affordable and kid friendly than others? I hear very mixed things from my sisters friends but shes only been there a little over a year... I appreciate all of your help, this is all super stressful!

Old 06-10-2013, 07:03 PM

15 posts, read 36,769 times
By the way, the owner of the house wasnt a FSBO but for some reason he was there both at the open house and at the second showing. He definitely did lose me because prior to that conversation we were SERIOUSLY considering making an offer! Its not even that I have such an issue with Catholic school its that I dont to feel like I HAVE to and thats they way he made it sound, his exact words were "oh no you cant send the kids to the elementary school we dont know one family that does and weve been here 10yrs" so even though I heard great things about the school as well I immediately worried my kids will be left out if they dont follow suit and all go to SAS. Supposedly the realtor tried to convince him not to be present at the showings but he refuses to leave...I would be interested in any realtor that you think is really great. Im a real estate atty and have my license so anything on MLS I can show myself and get the commission back but any exclusives Id be interested to hear. Thanks again =)

Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,814,531 times
/\/\

Or maybe he was being brutally honest. What if he played up the PS and later you got the impression that it wasn't that good after doing research?

Old 06-11-2013, 05:48 AM

7,895 posts, read 9,083,435 times
Twingles knows GC better than most of us, but I believe the houses near St Anne's are among the most affordable in the town.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 AM

22,622 posts, read 36,563,865 times
You are correct about the difference in what you'll pay for a house and taxes being minimal when you throw private school tuition into the mix. It used to be a bigger difference before taxes went nuts. That is why we ultimately chose to buy in GC back in the day.

You'll find the best deals in the western section (where your sister is, but houses go FAST there) and the east but be careful over there. There's only one sub $600K house for sale now, it's on Grove and has been on the market forever. Grove and Meadow are no-gos.

As far as your comment about GC wanting to keep kids out, not sure if you meant that to be provocative but let's think about it. GC is a village and is self sustaining as far as its parks an recs programs. The pool itself is ENTIRELY self sustaining and receives NO revenue from the village at all. Even GC residents who are not members cannot go as guests, because they need the revenue from memberships, not a whole slew of guest fees. Would you want Suffolk Cty sending money to Nassau to pay for stuff? Well, the residents of GC feel the same way. Village taxes alone are generally around $5000 a year, and the residents don't want that money going to non-res. I don't think that is unreasonable and if you buy there, you won't either. GC charges a nominal fee for most of its programs, too, so it's not like they are making it hand over fist on fees. Finally there are MORE THAN ENOUGH kids in GC and space is at a premium as it is.

Now, as far as realtors, Ryan Donnelly is excellent and he has his own RE Agency now. Also, at Daniel Gale, Ann Collins is really good. Both - Persistent but not obnoxious and know the town inside and out.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinebsmith View Post
Thanks so much for all the feedback! I think at this point we have decided against the house on Elton and we are going to snag something in Garden City that needs fixing up. I spoke to both Village of Stewart Manor today and Garden City and got all the vital info. Apparently Stewart Manor was able to offer no advice about sports, parks or anything other than the fact that I can join the pool for a fee.....Garden City I got a really nice woman on the phone who spend a long time on the phone with me. Apparently the actual rules of GC are ONLY Fernwood Terrace kids that attend GC Public Schools and can PROVE it with a bus pass or report card or similar are allowed to do SOME of the activities but not all. There are NO other exceptions to kids in Stewart Manor regardless whether or not they attend school at SAS. She said there are certain other outside programs that will allow SAS kids but certainly not all. This got to me thinking what Twingles had mentioned in one of the earlier responses of being the odd man out, it certainly seems like they dont want the SM kids included and will make it very difficult to do so. To me between all of these restrictions and the fact that Id have to pay for private school from Day 1 for two kids, it really doesnt seem like Im saving any money by going to SM. Its a shame because it looks like a really adorable area but if Im paying almost the same taxes as my sister 2 streets over with none of the benefits that doesnt seem to make much sense. I was hoping to list my house and make the move this year but I may need to wait until next year to do this since I need to save a little more money to be able to get a higher mortgage to grab something in Garden City.
Now the next question LOL, any specific parts of GC that are more affordable and kid friendly than others? I hear very mixed things from my sisters friends but shes only been there a little over a year... I appreciate all of your help, this is all super stressful!

Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,814,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinebsmith View Post
Its a shame because it looks like a really adorable area but if Im paying almost the same taxes as my sister 2 streets over with none of the benefits that doesnt seem to make much sense. I was hoping to list my house and make the move this year but I may need to wait until next year to do this since I need to save a little more money to be able to get a higher mortgage to grab something in Garden City.
There's a reason why GC's home prices are much higher than SM's and you found it.

In terms of which is more "worth it" economically, it's not always a straight argument. It depends on a lot of circumstances specific to the buyer. Once you layer in the renovations you need to make, the price differential can reach $200K and with that, higher tax assessment amounts. My co-worker bought a GC home that needed updating for $700K and says he pays $20K/year in taxes.

Then the question becomes whether you think you can re-sell the house at the appreciation you want, when you want it. If your circumstances suddenly change (job loss, illness, need to move elsewhere, etc.), will you have to sell your home quickly to provide emergency funds?

GC and its higher prices make sense for someone with good financial cushion (ie, has enough cash/liquid savings, sets aside enough elsewhere for retirement). But if liquidity is tight and the house will comprise the largest portion of personal wealth, you may want to buy the much cheaper home and shore up cash balances and/or invest in other securities. SAS is not that expensive and it's a variable cost - you can pull your kid out if you get into financial difficulties or if circumstances change. An expensive mortgage and high $$ taxes, on the other hand, is something you will have to pay up regardless of circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island