Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 AM

254 posts, read 436,187 times

Advertisements

Where ever we decide to go after the kids are out of college ~approx. 10-11 years~ will be somewhere with less taxes, less liberals and better gun laws....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
If I had the money I'd be buying wrecks and flipping or renting without question. A new apartment on LI is like gold.
Blackstone Group agrees with you. LI is one of the markets they are buying in.

Quote:
Blackstone Group (NYSE:BX) became the largest owner of single-family homes in the U.S., with 29,000 units in 13 markets. The group just obtained a $1.5 billion credit facility from Deutsche Bank (NYSE: DB) to continue operating in the area.
Wall Street May Own the House Next Door | Wall St. Cheat Sheet

Old 06-18-2013, 10:48 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpppp View Post
Looking to move to Orange County, NY before it gets too expensive there. Owning a home on Long Island is a dream as my family and friends are all here. My feeling is the hudson valley will offer me a Garden City sized house and lot, its less densely populated, and still be within a 2 hour drive to the island.
Many would argue that you allready missed that boat....

Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Since I came to my senses and I realized -

1. Living in the South would never be for me. ( no Red States)

2. In the north, the beach is available 3 moths out of the year at best.

3. Lakes are nice clean places to swim

4. Not everyone hates NYers ( see #1, they do)

5. I live to live where I am celebrated, not tolerated.

6. Institutions of higher learning that are nearby enhance my life.

7. I believe in Government and taxes - but there is a limit

8. I love older homes and only older homes.

9. I like living in a State that was against racism and does not have a horrible past.

I LOVE the Mid West! very happy here. Lake Erie does have beaches. And it has a "nautical flavor". People are polite and friendly, but not in that phony southern "bless your heart" way.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Since I came to my senses and I realized -

1. Living in the South would never be for me. ( no Red States)

2. In the north, the beach is available 3 moths out of the year at best.

3. Lakes are nice clean places to swim

4. Not everyone hates NYers ( see #1, they do)

5. I live to live where I am celebrated, not tolerated.

6. Institutions of higher learning that are nearby enhance my life.

7. I believe in Government and taxes - but there is a limit

8. I love older homes and only older homes.

9. I like living in a State that was against racism and does not have a horrible past.

I LOVE the Mid West! very happy here. Lake Erie does have beaches. And it has a "nautical flavor". People are polite and friendly, but not in that phony southern "bless your heart" way.
Some good ones here! Not surprised your post went unchallenged, even by the most zealous of the southern expats.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Already left for of all places - North East Ohio! Howland Township. I like to call it "Long Island Light". All the conveniences of LI, with none of the hassles.

Nice receptive and cool people who don't hate New Yorkers and actually like my accent!

Smart people and many good colleges!

Subdivisions that remind me of LI.

Beautiful older 1920 homes - we have one- think Garden City at 150K

Low Taxes!

Good Schools!

Lake Erie makes the Sound look like a POND.

Skip PA - they hate us there. NJ is just as expensive. These are good people and a pretty area.

Oh - Great Italian food, very good bagels and loads of wineries and upscale Malls.

NE OH! We love it!

Questions? Send a dm.
Do you have ocean beaches in North East Ohio? How about New York City?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
No, I have a friend who moved there and my wife and I visited a few times, tried to convice us to move there...looked at houses, etc.

They want to come back now, but can't afford to. Friends and family trump big cheap houses and a new version of LI, to some people.
Cant put a price tag on people. More important then big houses.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:43 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
The problem with Upstate NY is that it's still in NY and taxes go to the same buffons in Albany no matter where you live in the state. I looked up state and the taxes I was seeing in the Albany area were about 3/4 of what they were on LI - in other words, they were still high (besides the harsher winters). A lot of former NYer are moving to areas where the taxes are a lot less.
Overall cost of living is about the same, if not higher in certain Southern locations than up here. It of course depends on where up here you are looking at.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:30 PM

234 posts, read 382,326 times
As a 30+ married father of 1, we're going to Charleston, SC hopefully the end of the year... We're done with NY. My neighborhood continues to get worse while my taxes continue to go up. My son's 1 year old, figure this is a good time to go to prevent any assimilation issues he may have had.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:58 PM

Did any of you who are leaving ever think that maybe the problem is not Long Island- maybe the problem is you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island