Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 01:40 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What does it matter if they complain and move or complain or don't? No one here is forced to click on any thread or read posts complaining about how expensive it is. People on this forum in general have such thin skin, it's ridiculous.
No. it's just the same old apologist who's "doing just fine." Yet so hurt by those who complain. Hmmm, maybe behind the happy façade a little nervous about the REAL state of LI's economic health and outlook. Again, some want to make it better. Some say "if you aint happy, just leave" but don't understand the repercussions of families "just leaving."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 01:47 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
No. it's just the same old apologist who's "doing just fine." Yet so hurt by those who complain. Hmmm, maybe behind the happy façade a little nervous about the REAL state of LI's economic health and outlook. Again, some want to make it better. Some say "if you aint happy, just leave" but don't understand the repercussions of families "just leaving."
Most of the people on this board with the "just leave" are either complete jerks or mentally unstable wack jobs...come to think of it actually it's not JUST the people who say that who are jerks and whack jobs, it's about 75% of people who post here in general.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:51 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Quote:
Most of the people on this board with the "just leave" are either complete jerks or mentally unstable wack jobs...come to think of it actually it's not JUST the people who say that who are jerks and whack jobs, it's about 75% of people who post here in general.
I'm in the 74th percentile but getting better.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:53 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Did any of you who are leaving ever think that maybe the problem is not Long Island- maybe the problem is you?

Jdawg, please tell me you're being facetious.

I'm in the neutral camp of those leaving and those staying-- I understand why people want to leave, and I understand why people love it here, but you really went out on the deep end on that one.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM

234 posts, read 382,405 times
If I was able to have the amenities, tax break, etc on Long Island than what I will have in SC - I wouldn't be leaving.
Can I afford it here? Yes, I own a house here.
Can I improve/upgrade my standing here? No. Not without downgrading my current assets.

I used to be Captain NY when I was a kid through my twenties... Then I bought a house, and started a family.If I was single and didn't think about putting food on the table for my family - LI would do me just fine. I wouldn't have to worry about my living situation, school districts,taxes, savings etc.. But since getting married and having a child, my priorities have changes immensely. I want my family to be able to have what they want without having to cut corners. NY just doesn't work for us anymore.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:05 PM

75 posts, read 77,858 times
I had always planned on moving back to Vermont at some point, but now our top choices are Washington or Tennessee. We have no idea when we'll move, but do know for certain that we not make LI our permanent home; there just aren't enough redeeming qualities to justify the expense.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:07 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post

Jdawg, please tell me you're being facetious.

I'm in the neutral camp of those leaving and those staying-- I understand why people want to leave, and I understand why people love it here, but you really went out on the deep end on that one.
But things can be done to remedy the situation without getting up and leaving. Buy a smaller house, dont run your AC 24/7, dont buy a new car every 5 years. The problem is that people arent willing to do that, think somewhere else is a paradise and then move and realise it wasnt what they expected.

If you dont like it here, work to fix it. Dont just give up on it. Grass isnt always greener.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:09 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Quote:
Grass isnt always greener.
Generally it is, because you can actually afford to water your lawn

Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
But things can be done to remedy the situation without getting up and leaving. Buy a smaller house, dont run your AC 24/7, dont buy a new car every 5 years. The problem is that people arent willing to do that, think somewhere else is a paradise and then move and realise it wasnt what they expected.

If you dont like it here, work to fix it. Dont just give up on it. Grass isnt always greener.
...and just like every other "then why don't you do something about it" presumptuous post, you have no way of knowing that the person didn't already do all of those things.

Throwing mud at the strawman is a favorite pastime around here.

Person A"Teachers salaries are too high".

Person B"Well, instead of COMPLAINING ABOUT IT here, why don't you DO something about it?"

Meanwhile Person A camps outside the school board members houses.

These kinds of responses are basically the same as saying "shut up".

Old 06-21-2013, 02:17 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Quote:
...and just like every other "then why don't you do something about it" presumptuous post, you have no way of knowing that the person didn't already do all of those things.

Throwing mud at the strawman is a favorite pastime around here.

Person A"Teachers salaries are too high".

Person B"Well, instead of COMPLAINING ABOUT IT here, why don't you DO something about it?"

Meanwhile Person A camps outside the school board members houses.

These kinds of responses are basically the same as saying "shut up".
Nevermind the fact that he is blaming people for wanting to live comfortably.

Typical LIer: Blame the residents for the price of LI living. How dare you sit in an air conditioned home? Why would you ever want to drive a new car over feeding your family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island