Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 03:12 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I must be missing half a brain. Or I have never been to SC. What couldn't you live without? Friends? Family?
OOPS..forgot. If you ever lived in Greenville,SC you will know what I mean in reference to can not live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 08:10 PM

32 posts, read 55,430 times
Default Diversity in the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
This. And that he may go to school with many many white people and not many asians or muslims or spanish. I dunno, I it's important to teach your kids at young age to be tolerant. If the majority of people are white, it will be very hard later on in life when he does encounter a muslim or someone else not considered "caucasian". Thats why crap like the KKK existed in the south and not the north. I am also not saying everyonr in the south is like that- but lets not kid ourselves- most people here are very excepting of others who are not the majority cookie-cutter white person.

I am proud to have had the chance to go to school with Indians, Spanish, Asians, Muslims, Jews, gays etc. It is something every young child should experience and one of the many reasons I would not move to the south.
I do not know if you have been in the South lately, esp S Fl, but there is sooo much diversity. Whites are becoming the minority. In so many areas of S Fl, you have large populations of Hispanics and Haitians. It is even hard to get an office job if you are not bilingual or trilingual. Is that diverse enough? You see muslims everywhere, gays, Asians, Black Americans, bi racial but not so many whites. I sit in the mall everyday during my lunch and this is what I see. Come on down, you will find the diversity you are seeking.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
[quote=need4answer;31652649]I do not know if you have been in the South lately, esp S Fl, but there is sooo much diversity. Whites are becoming the minority. In so many areas of S Fl, you have large populations of Hispanics and Haitians. It is even hard to get an office job if you are not bilingual or trilingual. Is that diverse enough? You see muslims everywhere, gays, Asians, Black Americans, bi racial but not so many whites. I sit in the mall everyday during my lunch and this is what I see. Come on down, you will find the diversity you are seeking.

Lived in Weston for 7 years. loved it there. But there is no diversity! Could no longer deal with people assuming we spoke Spanish. YES!! You will find it hard to find a job especially one that deals with the public mostly if you do not speak Spanish!! Weston is not to me an American community what-so-ever. Sad because otherwise we loved it there. Diversity should mean more than just Spanish language.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:05 PM

362 posts, read 645,693 times
Live in Lake Grove for over 20 plus years. Before that lived in New Hyde PArk for four years. Before that, little Neck, Queens. Went to high school in Manhattan.
My house is going on the market this January. Been prepping and staging for 2 months now.

Can't wait to leave. Hate the cold and there is really nothing holding me here. Both my sons, 19 and 22, are moving with us along with my parents. We are moving to Tennessee. I can not wait.
My husband is a young retiree and I am a small business owner. Life will be new, fresh and warmer. I'm just a flight away from visiting family and friends.

Bye bye Long Island.......high taxes, high gasoline prices, traffic, mucho snow, see ya!

Old 10-14-2013, 07:24 PM

312 posts, read 516,359 times
ugh... I could handle all of the last post except for "mucho snow". ;-) It is almost funny how I have been worrying about the snow. The rest of L.I. soooo far I am happy, and my son and I are enjoying life here.. .Just got to adjust to the winters I guess...... sigh......

Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 PM

362 posts, read 645,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
ugh... I could handle all of the last post except for "mucho snow". ;-) It is almost funny how I have been worrying about the snow. The rest of L.I. soooo far I am happy, and my son and I are enjoying life here.. .Just got to adjust to the winters I guess...... sigh......
After last year, I'm done. Between storm Sandy outages, tornadoes touching down twice close to where I live, and the snow, DONE! (Although TN has tornadoes

Old 10-14-2013, 07:56 PM

719 posts, read 1,059,486 times
I was born In Queens but grew up in Upstate SC .I have lived permanently in the Upstate since 1974 and have seen it change a lot. Greenville was a growing but bland city from the late 1970s till the early 90s but now you can meet people from all over the world.

Some of Greenville's best festivals

Fall for Greenville - Fall for Greenville is one of the largest free admission food street festivals in the Southeast attracting between 150,000-200,000 people from across the Upstate and beyond. With over 40 restaurants showcasing almost 200 menu items.
http://www.fallforgreenville.net

Artisphere -Ranked #7 Fine Art Festival in the Country by Art Fair Sourcebook.

http://www.artisphere.us/

These 3 venues changed downtown a lot.

Fluor Field at the West End is a 5,700-seat baseball-only stadium.
Fluor Field at the West End Photo Gallery - Home of the Greenville Drive

Bon Secours Wellness Arena can seat between 11,000 and 15,951 people.
http://eventimagecenter.com/350x200/350x200_83.jpg

The Peace Center - Performing arts center that contains the 2100 seat Peace Concert Hall . It hosts over 300 events each year, including classical music and Broadway shows.
http://greenville.metromix.com/conte...3x4/223/699549

http://www.jeritboys.com/JBIPics/peacecenter.jpg

This site has a lot of info on Greenville.
Forbes ranks Greenville among Best Cities for Young Professionals | The Greenville, SC Blog

Good picture of downtown Greenville.
http://victoria-weather.com/wp-conte...eenvilleSC.jpg

Last edited by senecaman; 10-14-2013 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: mistakes in info

Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,995 times
Moved last March from Holtsville to the beautiful Bluegrass of Kentucky!!

My BH and I were both born on LI, but the number of people just got to us!! We wanted elbow-room!!

Old 10-15-2013, 07:24 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Get used to the tornado warnings a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi shots View Post
After last year, I'm done. Between storm Sandy outages, tornadoes touching down twice close to where I live, and the snow, DONE! (Although TN has tornadoes

Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Get used to the tornado warnings a lot more.
Define "a lot"? We get them in North Carolina and sometimes for really good reasons but it's sort of in the same category as when people justify not switching to DirecTV because of all the weather outages, which happen infrequently and are a very minor inconvenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island