Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:21 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I know quite a few people who were raised in a Levitt home whose family numbered 4 to 5 people.
Me too at at time when many families who lived there only had one car because the woman of the house did not drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 07:24 PM

302 posts, read 590,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You're paying $7,400 more off the bat for your home than the OP was. The other poster mentions children, starting in around 2000. Chances are they aren't paying childcare for 3.

It isn't extremely hard given their net salaries. They will have to spend wisely, but it can be done.
Yes, but if one wants to buy a house in a decent area, more than likely, they will be paying more than 2300 for home insurance, mortgage and taxes. They might not need babysitters, but they might have to pay for activities, summer camp, college savings, etc. what I was listing was just the really basics. I didn't even take into account house maintenance which is another huge expense. It's much easier to live on that income if the family bought a house 15 years ago.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:26 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
Yes, but if one wants to buy a house in a decent area, more than likely, they will be paying more than 2300 for home insurance, mortgage and taxes. They might not need babysitters, but they might have to pay for activities, summer camp, college savings, etc. what I was listing was just the really basics. I didn't even take into account house maintenance which is another huge expense. It's much easier to live on that income if the family bought a house 15 years ago.
However there are plenty of people who didn't buy 15 years ago who are managing on that same figure.

My point is that people can and do live on LI netting $100K. The poster in question is the situation I am concerning myself with -- I am not going off on tangents. If they earn $154K, and net somewhere a bit over $100K, they still have about $75K or approximately $6,200 a month with which to address the other issues.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:16 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
If you cant live on LI making 154k, then what makes you think you will make it elsewhere say on 80k??

Old 03-12-2014, 12:30 PM

302 posts, read 590,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
However there are plenty of people who didn't buy 15 years ago who are managing on that same figure.

My point is that people can and do live on LI netting $100K. The poster in question is the situation I am concerning myself with -- I am not going off on tangents. If they earn $154K, and net somewhere a bit over $100K, they still have about $75K or approximately $6,200 a month with which to address the other issues.
I really think the poster wants to save up for a house and not continue to rent a 3 bedroom house for a family of 5. He's probably doing ok with that amount but just can't save enough for downpayment, and I can totally see why. He can live on that amount but can't save the 20% downpayment, and with a house his expenses would increase more. I don't know people's personal finances, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty who bought recently that are struggling to make ends meet or have high debt load. Also, I think we might have different ideas of "managing" because to me, managing is more than just covering the basic mortgage/rent, utilities, insurances, food, clothes, basic needs. I think contribution to retirement, college savings, life insurance, 1 vacation a year, and enough emergency saving should be part of living.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
I really think the poster wants to save up for a house and not continue to rent a 3 bedroom house for a family of 5. He's probably doing ok with that amount but just can't save enough for downpayment, and I can totally see why. He can live on that amount but can't save the 20% downpayment, and with a house his expenses would increase more. I don't know people's personal finances, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty who bought recently that are struggling to make ends meet or have high debt load. Also, I think we might have different ideas of "managing" because to me, managing is more than just covering the basic mortgage/rent, utilities, insurances, food, clothes, basic needs. I think contribution to retirement, college savings, life insurance, 1 vacation a year, and enough emergency saving should be part of living.
Newsday recently had a story about how 44% of homeowners really cannot afford their homes as they are paying too much of their income on housing costs.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:07 PM
cml

180 posts, read 290,366 times
I plan on moving off Long Island sometime in the next few years I don't know exactly where I am considering of going to.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:39 PM

483 posts, read 670,386 times
We don't make anywhere near 100,000, it is not impossible to live on LI on 100,000. We do have a mortgage and that makes things tight but we do OK. As for moving? I've lived all over and I think my favorite is right Upstate or just to visit, Southern Mississippi...As we are getting older, probably won't be moving-really prefer a close-together area for when we can't drive anymore.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:25 PM

148 posts, read 248,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I'm going by the source, census.
Massapequa CDP QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

btw, East Massapequa
White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2010 73.9%
Black persons, percent, 2010 (a) 12.7%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2010 (b) 10.1%
Asian persons, percent, 2010 (a) 2.1%
Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2010 2.1%

I'm not sure what the point of all of this is, specifically pinpointing one area. We know most LI communities are predominantly white. If you really want to look for areas with no diversity, find a town (if they still exist on LI) that is predominantly WASPs.
West Islip / Patchogue

Old 03-31-2014, 12:33 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
Some areas of South Carolina are pretty nice and more progressive than others.

I left Mt. Pleasant, SC, in July. The schools were great, etc. IF I were to ever live again in South Carolina (which wouldn't occur prior to retirement if it occurred), it would have to be on the coast though. The coast is more liberal than the rest of the state (but we are not talking "that" liberal). That said, and my Wantagh NY neighbors said they did have a difficult adjustment due to the slow pace of life. It took a few months and some tears to adjust, but now they love it. ;-) I don't know. People are friendly there, and it is very clean, but I am kind of enjoying life here.

Summerville and Mt. Pleasant seem to be popular SC cities for NYers and those from NJ.
Good thread.
when moving from NY to the south, one thing possibly people aren't thinking is how very different each region of a state can be. Especially in the south.

Gate City VA, (Southwest VA) is 180 degrees opposite NoVa.
Bristol Tenn had cross burnings, I didn't live near it, but would I want a child going to school there?
No.
a friend who taught at a private school there was told students were not to have "To Kill a Mockingbird' on their syllabus, this was in 2008.

Some people retiring mention Goose Creek SC, not sure about that area, I have seen the Yankees not welcome attitude.

There are regions you will see rebel flags, certain behavior etc. The diversity/lack of culture is an issue. You won't get decent Italian food , indeed some people call it "red sauce" in some of the places
Everything is closed on Sundays, even in Asheville NC (more liberal than its surrounding rural environs)

Good luck to any moving,
Just my 2 cents I was reading but couldn't help commenting.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 03-31-2014 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island