U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 06:50 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,592,499 times
Living in Brooklyn and commuting to SB is absurd. Add to your time on the LIRR, the possibility of having to take a bus or subway to the LIRR station. There is a campus shuttle that stops at the SB station and loops around campus.

Much depends on your graduate program. Do you have to be on campus 5 days a week? Will you need extra time for labs, tutorials, meetings with professors and study groups? Will you be placed in an off-campus institution for observations/practicums which will require a car for transportation?

Everytime it rains hard for a few consecutive days, the temps fall below freezing and there is the possiblity of icing on the tracks, or any kind of significant snow, rest assured one of the trains that you take (and you will be changing trains several times) will be delayed or cancelled.

If you are taking your graduate program seriously, you won't have that much time for partying, anyway. Also be aware that many of your classmates who are recent graduates like you, will still be living at home with mom and dad and driving to school since in-state tutition is fairly cheap and living at home saves money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 PM

323 posts, read 551,680 times
I did the commute to SB from Rockville Centre after work and it was brutal even without traffic. Couldn't even imagine coming from Brooklyn. I agree with everyone else.. find a spot in Huntington and take the train to the city on the weekends.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:25 PM

3,283 posts, read 3,162,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekochan999 View Post
Instead of Brooklyn or Queens, you might want to consider Huntington. It's on the same train line as Stony Brook, so there is no problem with changing trains and all that. Huntington is a pretty nice little town and you can probably find something close to the train, grocery and supermarket. Plus, your commute time and cost will be greatly reduced.
Unfortunately, you're depending on that 7:07 out of Huntington to be on time. The bus system wouldn't work too well for a trip to Stony Brook. Here are your options. (Let's assume you live within walking distance of the train station)

* H10 to Commack, then S56/58 to Smith Haven, then S60/3D to Stony Brook.

* S1 to Walt Whitman Mall, then S54 to Islandia, then 3D to Stony Brook (this is really roundabout).

In both cases, the buses either don't start running in time for your 8:00 class, or the connections aren't timed so you end up showing up late.

The only area I could think of where you'd have multiple options to get to/from school would be Port Jefferson (you'd have the LIRR, which runs more frequently when you're going towards Manhattan, plus the S60/76). But at that point, you're already super-far from Manhattan, and you might as well live on campus.

Unfortunately, it looks like getting a car is your only option. Then you could live in an area like Huntington and not have to worry about the train being late. (And you wouldn't necessarily have to live in an area along the Port Jefferson Branch either).

Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 AM

15 posts, read 15,688 times
I currently live in Kew Gardens and commute to Stony Brook. Kew Gardens is a nice area. Its rather boring but very safe and pretty quiet. A lot of Kew Gardens rentals are controlled by brokers, but some aren't (mine isn't anymore). Rent is from 1100-1400 for a 1 bedroom. There is a train leaving Kew Gardens at 605 and arriving at Stony brook at 746. 14 mins is enough to get to most points on campus from the train. Kew Gardens is a local stop though so depending on the times you leave you may have to stop over at Jamaica station for 20 mins on your way to sb or back. Play around with the scedules at lirr42.mta.info/

Jamaica would be slightly more convenient because of the train schedule, and a little cheaper but some parts of Jamaica are not particularly nice areas to live in. You would definitely want to research neighborhoods before moving here. Depending on which train you get the commute can take as little as 1 hr 20 mins (express train from Jamaica to Port Jeff.) to over 2 hrs (the dreaded 6:40 from Stony Brook to Penn).

It might be difficult to find an apartment with bad credit, no income (unless you have some kind of ga or ta) and an out of state guarantor. One place flat out rejected us b/c of an out of state guarantor and for our current apt, my mother, step father, and girlfriends mother all cosigned, and I for some reason have good credit.

In any case if you are commuting more than 3 days a week I wouldn't recommend it - the only reason I do it is because my girlfriend went to Hunter. Also its about $10 each way so if you go 3 days a weeks you're looking at spending about $250/month on transportation - a monthly from Kew Gardens is about $320. Also the trains run late some times so if you have a test you will probably want to take an earlier train.

What program are you entering?

Why do you want to commute from the city?

Old 06-20-2013, 12:42 PM

7,224 posts, read 7,103,154 times
I think Stony Brook is not a place for someone to attend who really wants to enjoy NYC all week long. For the most part, I'd live near campus and take the train into the city on weekends as opposed to your proposal of making that ridiculous commute 3 or more days per week, spending thousands each year.

You can get by with a bike if you get an apartment close to campus...you just might have to make friends with a few people who have cars in case of snow or torrential rain. There is some nightlife in Port Jefferson, but not as much as Huntington and nothing compared to NYC.

As for something like Kew Gardens....you're still talking a huge commute and the exciting parts of the city aren't really that close anyway.

Also, a few of those areas you mentioned I would not recommend you look for an apartment, especially if you are a female.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:52 PM

45 posts, read 26,748 times
Just live by stony Brook. Move to Brooklyn when you are done with school. That commute will drain all of your energy. If you want to live in NYC, you should apply to schools there.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:55 PM

119 posts, read 73,635 times
Brooklyn to SB is a horrific commute. I cannot imagine voluntarily doing that.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 AM

13,408 posts, read 14,564,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekochan999 View Post
I think the money saved on commuting and the higher costs of rent in brooklyn/queens would probably make up for car expenses. If the rail ticket is $300 per month he probably won't hit that with gas expenses. You are right that a 15 minute walk is doable, but he has only 14 minutes to get there AND you are assuming that the LIRR is actually going to be on time, which is a very, very bad assumption.

Best bet is to either get off campus housing with a car, or on campus housing without one.
Periodically, rail work and other problems mean buses in and out if the LIRR stations. I live in the area and see that about every two months. Expect delays.

If possible perhaps settle closer to campus and then explore the urban areas and that commute. Your 8 AM class is your Achilles heel in this scenario, followed by the long commute if you opt for Brooklyn or Queens.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM

189 posts, read 112,210 times
My brother commuted from Manhattan to Hofstra and an internship at SUNY Farmingdale and it was a nightmare. You'd be travelling an even greater distance. I understand the appeal of the city (I just moved out here from Forest Hills myself), but since you're new to NY, I suggest you live by school for a year then reassess.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:57 AM

3 posts, read 1,825 times
Brooklyn to Stony Brook via LIRR is a big NONO.
Trust me, I was a graduate from Stony Brook and there is no way you would want to take this commute unless you are ONLY in school for 1 or 2 days a week. ( Commute might take more than 2 hours considering, walking to and from the train station and the train ride itself.)

If you are a graduate student who needs to dedicate most your time in research/studying/TAing, your best bet is to stay on campus or find a off housing apartment that is walking distance since you do not own a car.
I suggest that you visit Stony Brook campus when you are here in New York. The campus is big. Depending which grad building you are, it is quite a walk to get to the train station. Buses on Long Island comes every hour and I will not rely on public transportation if I were you. Taxi ride cost min 30 dollars for a ride that is less than 30 mins or about 11 miles). You are in deep end of LONG ISLAND where everyone drives if they dont live on campus.

Finding an apartment is way cheaper out here than in Brooklyn. If you are looking to stay near the brooklyn LIRR which is Atlantic Av, I dont think you can find anything less than USD 1500 compare to a 800-900 all included furnished apartment out here in Stony Brook.
There are a lot of postings for off campus housing around this time, so do check it out when you are on campus.
Here is a website that may be helpful.
OCH: Welcome to Off Campus Housing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island