Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:08 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times

Advertisements

Ugliness can be corrected with money. Location cannot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:10 AM

884 posts, read 1,405,433 times
Price, location, taxes do it for me.

I don't care about the kitchen cabinets. They look fine to me.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
Ok I'll bite. DH would be open to looking at this house for a private viewing, but he would not be crazy about the pool. The interior pics arent bad, the hard wood floors in the living room are just gorgeous. The kitchen is nice and big. DH would not be crazy about the skylight in the LR (says when there are leaks, he would be annoyed with repair costs). I dont care much for the kitchen cabinets or cosmetic things like bad paint jobs, etc because I know those are things we can work on after we move in. Those are Minor things to us. Major things would be = roof replacement, oil heating instead of gas, window replacement, no garage, etc.

The location is not a turn off for us, ideally I want to be closer to the LIRR as I would need access to the city when possible. The big negatives for us would be (1) short sale (headache to deal with, especially if we had a buyer for our house and needed to pack up and move in less than 6 weeks), (2) the pool taking up most of the backyard (DH doesnt like maintaining pools), and (3) the price ($499K for that,,,meh.) If seller reduces it a bit more, I think the house will sell quickly. Also, the pics of the backyard appear to have been taking in the wintertime (snow showing). The realtor should update those pics so we can see the pool in summer conditions. There are no pics of the bedrooms either.

Last edited by LegalDiva; 06-17-2013 at 09:02 AM..

Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
I don't see where the pool is taking up most of the yard? Doesn't the yard go all the way back? (see last photo in the second link)

I think the price is way too high!! 1/2 million?? I like the house but it's not worth 1/2 million dollars! Maybe $300K or $350K at the very most.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:17 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsaf0306 View Post
I'll tell you why I didn't ask for a showing: the pool taking up half the backyard was an issue. .
to be fair, this is quite a large lot. Accrd to the specs, it said 50x253. I wonder if this is really a 2 lot property...meaning if its a buildable lot if it was in two pieces. There could be hidden value there from an investment point of view

Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lister View Post
Not my house but I know someone who is considering buying it and wondering why it's been on the market so long, especially when it's competitively priced--there are other, smaller houses in the neighborhood, on smaller lots, selling for more.

MLS ID is MLS#:2559537
View 12 photos, tax records, s... Mineola, NY 11501 - Zillow
originaladdress, Mineola, New YorkUnited States

I know one of the neighbors but they don't know much about it. Drawbacks: short sale (though some may look at that as an opportunity), on a fairly busy street and 3 houses away from a very busy main road (Jericho Tpk). Inground pool takes up half the back yard. Needs some maintenance--you can see from the photos on the realtor site that the roof needs work.
What is with the kitchen? Did they run out of money after buying a new stove and fridge? Those cabinets are dated and is that a formica counter (hard to tell in the pic). There are no pictures of the bedrooms or bathrooms. The whole brick wall is dated also.

Personally, I don't like the pool right there. I feel like I'd stumble and fall into it and it's not gated. The price is pretty high for a short sale. I also feel there's too much going on with the outside--the brick, stone and steps don't blend well. Landscaping is kinda blah. Like someone else said, there's no "Wow".

Old 06-17-2013, 12:45 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
It's not the pool. It's the price. In ground pools are one of those things that people either love or hate.

However, my question is why the house has been on the market since February with no price adjustments. If it's a short sale, the owner isn't going to come out of it with any money anyway. So, what they should be doing is regularly lowering the price downward until they find the price at which a buyer appears. Not only will this get the house sold, it will demonstrate to the bank the short-sale value.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:12 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Is it a fair value? Without an address to compare sales history and see what the neighbors homes look like it's hard to tell. The interior is definetly dated and would eventually require updating but it appears usable for now. I am no fan of pools but many people like them although I wonder what it's condition is like under the cover.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:58 PM

86 posts, read 168,614 times
VA Yankee, AFAIK it's a fair value or even underpriced for that size house & lot in the area. That's why it's hard to see why it hasn't sold. Zillow says that when it was last up for sale in 2011 the asking price was $679K

Here are comparables, all 4 bedroom houses, the last 2 are definitely smaller houses:

185 Linden Rd, Mineola, NY 11501 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate Around the corner, sold for $650K
103 Fairfield Ave, Mineola, NY 11501 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate less than a mile away, lot is half the size 53x100, sold for $603K
397 Horton H., Mineola, NY 11501 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate half a mile away, lot is half the size 48x106, sold for $500K
463 Macatee Pl, Mineola, NY 11501 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate 6 blocks away, lot is less than half size (40X100), sold for $525K

Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lister View Post
VA Yankee, AFAIK it's a fair value or even underpriced for that size house & lot in the area. That's why it's hard to see why it hasn't sold. Zillow says that when it was last up for sale in 2011 the asking price was $679K

Here are comparables, all 4 bedroom houses, the last 2 are definitely smaller houses:

185 Linden Rd, Mineola, NY 11501 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate Around the corner, sold for $650K
103 Fairfield Ave, Mineola, NY 11501 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate less than a mile away, lot is half the size 53x100, sold for $603K
397 Horton H., Mineola, NY 11501 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate half a mile away, lot is half the size 48x106, sold for $500K
463 Macatee Pl, Mineola, NY 11501 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate 6 blocks away, lot is less than half size (40X100), sold for $525K
Not trying to be cynical, but how do we know you're not cherry picking? Have no houses in the area sold for less than 500k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island