Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 PM

118 posts, read 154,663 times

Advertisements

Recently I was on vacation visiting a sibling out in Coram. When trying to use their DVR, I found it to be awful. It was ancient, slow as a dog, and there were display issues as well. It was barely functional.

I told them they need to go to a Cablevision service center and swap out the box for a newer model.

1. Can someone tell me what the newest model is for Cablevision DVRs?
2. Would someone also let me know where the closest Cablevision service center is to Coram.

Thanks a bunch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 10:59 PM

732 posts, read 1,730,569 times
I don't know what the newest model is, but the Cablevision center is very close to Coram. It's on Industrial Blvd, off of 112 in Port Jeff Station.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,674,144 times
We changed over to FIOS and will never go back to cablevision no more freeze ups and over all much better with stand by phone service in case of power outage plus a lot cheaper.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:33 AM

89 posts, read 203,760 times
The newest model is Explorer 8300 Hd its a silver DVR box. Its alot better.That is the newest box. You can call customer service and they will mail you the new box. When you get the new box, you can use the packaging to mail the old cable box back. No need to go there, let them mail it to you. Hope this helps you.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:47 PM

321 posts, read 593,385 times
All of CV's boxes are pretty bad. If I had the option, I would switch to Fios but since I'm stuck with CV I have two Tivo DVR's in my house.

We have an older Tivo HD in the bedroom and a Tivo Premiere in the living room. The performance and ease of use of a Tivo box makes the CV boxes look silly in comparison.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:33 AM

118 posts, read 154,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandnativegal View Post
The newest model is Explorer 8300 Hd its a silver DVR box. Its alot better.That is the newest box.
There has to be something better than that. I see articles talking about the 8300HD going back to 2005!

What does the card in the DVR do? I haven't seen that before.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:14 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,797,819 times
there are only 2 boxes available for the dvr service. 8300 hd dvr for hd tvs and 8300 std dvr for tube tvs. there is dvr plus which allows multi room recordings but can be used on any box cv offers you.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,603,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
There has to be something better than that. I see articles talking about the 8300HD going back to 2005!

What does the card in the DVR do? I haven't seen that before.
Pull the card out and the box does nothing.
I have the box in the picture and it sucks eggs. The older boxes function better than this one does. When I call CV with issues (on this box, of course) it seems that the techs are way too familiar with this box and its issues.

As far as the articles going back to 2005 -- that's CV for you. Latest, greatest as long as it's almost 10 years older than what everyone else has. My folks have Comcast in FL -- their boxes are minute and one can actually rapidly flip channels with the remote. I guess we'll see those boxes here on LI in 2020.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:34 PM

764 posts, read 1,548,226 times
The newest box is the Samsung model box. Its hdmi and offers the guide in full widescreen.

IT will also do DVR since they are switching the dvr to be online and hosted at their end.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 PM

734 posts, read 1,631,332 times
I don't know the name of the boxes but I was trying to downgrade my service and they offered me new multi room boxes for less than I was paying for the old, card in the slot boxes. The multi room boxes were awful! They would bump my recorded shows off and freeze all the time. They have very little memory and you would think, being that it is multi-room and more people are recording, it would have tons of memory! I was constantly rebooting only to find out I had had no shows to see! I couldn't use the recorded "view" button on the remote most of the time and had to tune into channel 1001. Try doing that when it is dark and you are in bed! Very often, it would tell me that service was not even available! Also, there is no way to rewind and view what you may have missed when you are not recording. I got so fed up. I took all 3 back to CV and asked for the old boxes back. I don't know how they can even offer these! They are GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!! The sevice rep was not surprised at all and knew exactly the issues I was having. So now, I am back to my old boxes, which may not be perfect but dammit they work and my bill is back where it was. Ugh...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island