Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:24 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times

Advertisements

1) The yogurt at the Whole Foods Market

2) Coffee Table Art books at Borders

3) Um....um...um...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 03:20 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks13 View Post
Right near the water & your fave beach...
You could go take a look and report back to us for the heck of it...
How much would taxes go up if you left up a wall and rebuilt, as opposed to tearing down and building brand new?

FYI, thread folks, clamboy found this one:

MLSLI.com - Find a Home (http://www.mlsli.com/uniDetails.CFM?MLNum=1966876&saveid=618679&typepro p=1 - broken link)

Wish I could buy it.

Me too...thats a great house in the Terraces

New Construction out here is 12k+ vs 8k
I guess its cheap as compared to Old Field

: )

Ill hit the open house when it happens

C

Old 11-07-2007, 08:15 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,468 times
Default A cultural icon you are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
1) The yogurt at the Whole Foods Market

2) Coffee Table Art books at Borders

3) Um....um...um...
Just a guess, but based on the body of work that is your postings here in City-Data, I am certain you are desperate to leave the island because you find the cultural outlets to be lacking....

Old 11-10-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Just a guess, but based on the body of work that is your postings here in City-Data, I am certain you are desperate to leave the island because you find the cultural outlets to be lacking....
Nahhh. It's because I can't find anything resembling a decent job here.

The Nassau Museum of Art has a Breugel (sp?) exhibit that I wouldn't mind seeing, if it didn't cost 9 bucks to get in. The sculpture garden isn't bad.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Nahhh. It's because I can't find anything resembling a decent job here.

The Nassau Museum of Art has a Breugel (sp?) exhibit that I wouldn't mind seeing, if it didn't cost 9 bucks to get in. The sculpture garden isn't bad.
I gotta agree the job situation here is bleak.
(Wheres our Microsoft,Oracle,IBM????)

Its all McJobs out here and they want to pay South of 50k-60k... that's poverty on LI.
I dont get it..we cant all be cops.WTF Levy Suozzi?

I digress.

As far as culture goes on Eastern LI.
The coolest thing Ive experienced out here is this:
Walk the floors...Magic.
The House & Studio (http://naples.cc.sunysb.edu/CAS/pkhouse.nsf/pages/house - broken link)

If you love Art... I'd strongly recommend a visit.

C

Old 11-10-2007, 03:10 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
There's tons of jobs, it's just that all you suckers went to college....learn to turn a wrench ya freakin yuppies!

(To moderators: this post is sarcasm)

Old 11-10-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
There's tons of jobs, it's just that all you suckers went to college....learn to turn a wrench ya freakin yuppies!

Dont mod him out.

: )

I chuckled.

C

BTW
I fix my own car thanks

Old 11-11-2007, 08:46 AM

87 posts, read 270,465 times
Default Jobs

Well that's something i don't have to worry about as a writer. However, if my bf wanted to commute a few days into Brooklyn, Atlantic Ave, and took the LIRR, how long would that take? Where would he drive to and get on? Theoretically he could drive to Jamaica and go from there.

Anyway, all is temporarily in rest mode with us, until we see what happens here with our situation. I did enjoy looking at MP/RP/SB. For whatever reasons it appears SB is cheapest, a bit of a mystery to me as its all the same area. I thought many of the houses were pretty and so were the streets, the trees, the beach. Very pretty area. I know there is no culcha there to speak of, so at some point in the near future we'll drive to Stonybrook, look around, and then take NCR (?) to MP just to see how long the drive really is.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:47 AM

Plenty O Culcha...you just cant walk there ; )
Probably moreso than just about ANY suburban area in the US.
If you wanna see Zero Culcha check out SoCal

Its funny...I get a kick out of city folk and culcha.
Sadly they seem to get to the Museums about as much as we get to the beach.
(When youre paying 4k a month for 800sf....its all hands on deck.)

As for Bklyn... I'd just drive unless its rush hour.(1:15 to Bay Ridge from RP)
You can check LIRR to Flatbush from Ronkonoma too.

The only think I can say about why SB is cheapest is proably due to the slightly higher volume of rentals.
Plus SB doesnt really have an upscale area skewing the prices north.
RP and MP both have a few.
(Scotts Beach is really MP)

Either way theyre all good and your about 15min up NCR from SUNY SB to Lower RP Road.
(Take Shore Dr though Mt Sinai... its awesome)

Best of luck to ya

C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks13 View Post
Well that's something i don't have to worry about as a writer. However, if my bf wanted to commute a few days into Brooklyn, Atlantic Ave, and took the LIRR, how long would that take? Where would he drive to and get on? Theoretically he could drive to Jamaica and go from there.

Anyway, all is temporarily in rest mode with us, until we see what happens here with our situation. I did enjoy looking at MP/RP/SB. For whatever reasons it appears SB is cheapest, a bit of a mystery to me as its all the same area. I thought many of the houses were pretty and so were the streets, the trees, the beach. Very pretty area. I know there is no culcha there to speak of, so at some point in the near future we'll drive to Stonybrook, look around, and then take NCR (?) to MP just to see how long the drive really is.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

I know how to turn a wrench. I can't call myself a mechanic, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island