Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev11 View Post
Thank you so much!! He would leave at 5:30 am so I do not think the morning commute would be the problem. I am just worried about the afternoon commute. and it seems that like everyone is saying that the commute will suck. I love the area, so stressed out about this . Thank you again.

Anyone know if the area has a young family population? We are in our early 30's and expecting our first baby and just want to make sure there are similar families around.
Thanks
Yes there are young families in the area, but it can differ from street to street or neighborhood to neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:36 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,674 times
Yep....also, some of the properties are so big you won't even know who your neighbor is. lol

Old 06-24-2013, 11:48 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
If you have children, keep in mind that part of Fort Salonga is in the Northport-East Northport School District and part is in Kings Park School District. Make sure you do your homework to see which you prefer.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 PM

42 posts, read 144,189 times
I live there and did the commute for 30 years until last year. Now I go in a few times a month at most. It's about an hour and 20 mins to Penn Station. If he takes the train from Northport, he will have to change trains at either Huntington or Jamaica depending on the train. The Port Jeff line east of Huntington is diesel (No electric). Only a few of the diesel/electric trains go into Penn and they run off peak for the most part. I found driving to Huntington a better option. 15 min car ride and you don't have to change trains. It's an hour train ride to Huntington and when you get there and get in your car it feels like the worst of the commute is over. Since Northport is in the town of Huntington he will be able to get the parking permit. I have to say I really like Fort Salonga. It has a nice country feel. Wooded and scenic! There are 4 golf courses, beaches, parks and preserves. You have Northport town for restaurants & shops. It's a great little town right on the harbor. The schools are good and there's always lots going on in the community. They just had prom and it's a town tradition for all the kids to go downtown to the park all dressed up. The limos take them there and people come out to see them and take pictures before leaving for their big night. It's been a great place to raise a family for me. Currently the taxes on the Huntington side are quite a bit lower than the surrounding areas. LIPA is contesting what they pay so it is possible this could change in the future. All in all a great place to live if you want a country feel in the suburbs.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:17 PM

147 posts, read 543,699 times
I love Northport/ Fort Salonga but like everybody said the commute to Manhattan will be horrible. Its not close to LIE or Northern State like a lot of other beautiful towns so that just adds to the commute time.
Lots of stores on Larkfield Rd but not close to the malls.
I would say commute time driving home from Manhattan is more like 2 hours to 2-1/2 hours unless he has access to HOV lane. If he leaves at 3:30pm from Manhattan then he will get to Queens- Nassau County border by 4:30pm. It will take about another 1 hour from Nassau border to Northport assuming the usual bottlenecks (Junction Blvd exit on LIE, Cross Island exit on LIE, Meadowbrook Pkwy exit of LIE, Seaford-Oyster Bay exit of LIE, Rte 110 exit of LIE). I couldn't imagine doing that 5 days a week...

Old 06-24-2013, 12:28 PM

Oh, just thought I should clarify. You said Northport-Fort Salonga in your post which to me is the Huntington side of Fort Salonga. Some of the homes on the Smithtown side of Fort Salonga are listed as Northport by realtors. I'm not sure how they get away with that since Northport is in the town of Huntington. As the previous poster mentioned, you have different school districts for the Smithtown side verses the Huntington side. Also the taxes on the Smithtown side are currently higher. Anything east of Bread & Cheese Hollow Rd is in Smithtown.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:32 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
Just a small fender bender on either main road can extend your commute time to or from NYC reguardless of the time of day.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzfish View Post
Oh, just thought I should clarify. You said Northport-Fort Salonga in your post which to me is the Huntington side of Fort Salonga. Some of the homes on the Smithtown side of Fort Salonga are listed as Northport by realtors. I'm not sure how they get away with that since Northport is in the town of Huntington. As the previous poster mentioned, you have different school districts for the Smithtown side verses the Huntington side. Also the taxes on the Smithtown side are currently higher. Anything east of Bread & Cheese Hollow Rd is in Smithtown.
Since Fort Salonga shares the 11768 zip code with Northport, even those homes on the Smithtown side will have a Northport mailing address.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM

Ok. that explains it. I always thought it was deceptive since they're in the town of Smithtown and belong to Smithown school district. I would be surprised and upset if I went to see a house listed in Northport that didn't belong to Northport school district, couldn't get a sticker to go to any of the Northport beaches or use the boat ramps to launch my boat but I see it done all the time.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:12 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
I hate when listings do that- it's so deceptive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island