Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 AM

398 posts, read 837,949 times

Advertisements

@ GAG, I could not view your video so not sure if that was the overall housing market or specific to long island. I like to look at specific reports/news on Long Island and do not pay attention to housing as a whole to see impacts on prices.

I pay attention to the overall market and FOMC if trying to get a sense of interest rates. That being said, any signifgant increase in interest rates should show a decline in housing prices on Long Island. There's more variables that keep prices stable for now and if they're prices would drop....i.e interest rate write off and FHA loans.

I don't know if the demand is up for mortgages per say, the Long Island market is more of a slight increase in homes sold vs. last yeat but a huge decrease in the amount of homes listed for sale vs last year.

Long Island real estate market report - Q1'2013:
http://www.elliman.com/pdf/1c46d0fc2...f47223076506c2

This low inventory is what is keeping supply low and the higher prices. If that shadow/phantom inventory hits the market we would see more supply and decline in prices. The banks do not want prices to drop so they're slow to release foreclosures to the market. The banks will likely seem opportunity to sell but they'll always be cautious to foreclose and sell the homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:48 AM

70 posts, read 180,924 times
also OP what you didnt mention or consider (maybe you did not sure), if you buy now while the housing prices are lower you can have your hour accessed at the price you bought it for, for property tax reasons, thus lowering your taxes. Most if not all current houses are being taxed as if they are worth what they were when the market was at it's highest.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
@ GAG, I could not view your video so not sure if that was the overall housing market or specific to long island. I like to look at specific reports/news on Long Island and do not pay attention to housing as a whole to see impacts on prices.

I pay attention to the overall market and FOMC if trying to get a sense of interest rates. That being said, any signifgant increase in interest rates should show a decline in housing prices on Long Island. There's more variables that keep prices stable for now and if they're prices would drop....i.e interest rate write off and FHA loans.

I don't know if the demand is up for mortgages per say, the Long Island market is more of a slight increase in homes sold vs. last yeat but a huge decrease in the amount of homes listed for sale vs last year.

Long Island real estate market report - Q1'2013:
http://www.elliman.com/pdf/1c46d0fc2...f47223076506c2

This low inventory is what is keeping supply low and the higher prices. If that shadow/phantom inventory hits the market we would see more supply and decline in prices. The banks do not want prices to drop so they're slow to release foreclosures to the market. The banks will likely seem opportunity to sell but they'll always be cautious to foreclose and sell the homes.
The opposite of this was the whole point of the report I showed, that banks are now less inclined to modify and move to foreclose.

FWIW, my video is a national housing report on fox business, but specifically, they showed a heat map from Reaty Trac, and the NY metro is a hot zone for foreclosures in May. I'd assume LI is less but not much different.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:16 AM

398 posts, read 837,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
The opposite of this was the whole point of the report I showed, that banks are now less inclined to modify and move to foreclose.

FWIW, my video is a national housing report on fox business, but specifically, they showed a heat map from Reaty Trac, and the NY metro is a hot zone for foreclosures in May. I'd assume LI is less but not much different.
Good point. Interesting times for homebuying that;s for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island