Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:16 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times

Advertisements

I would put large rat traps everywhere...not mice trap...the large ones. I am not joking too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:18 AM

290 posts, read 583,306 times
If it's not fenced in, anyone found on the property by the PD can be arrested for violation trespass. IF you fenced it in, and leave a deposition at the local precinct stating that no one found on the grounds & not working on the grounds should be arrested, anyone there will be arrested for misdemeanor Criminal Trespass. PM me for more info.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:44 AM

796 posts, read 1,756,719 times
I would say cover the grounds with hydrated cow manure... no one would want go anywhere near there after
Or maybe put up a sign that says the grounds are chemically treated with carcinogenic substances

Also, I would say no to the rat traps. The kids will probably steal them and use them to seriously injure themselves or others

Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I would put large rat traps everywhere...not mice trap...the large ones. I am not joking too.
If you did this, and these traps harmed kids/teenagers, their parents could sue you.

Don't booby-trap your property with anything that could cause physical injury to a trespasser.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:38 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,757 times
Are you not home when they are trespassing?

I have found the local PD to be very helpful in terms of responding to these types of nuisance calls (like kids smoking weed in a car in front of an abandoned home, etc.) but you have to be diligent about it....noting what car/make, description of kids and keep calling the police. Eventually the kids will find somewhere else to loiter after being harassed by cops. Alert your neighbors to be on the lookout so it is a community effort to call the cops as soon as they drive/walk up.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:21 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,312 times
Some good advice on here.

I would definitely post No Trespassing signs. That's good from a legal standpoint if one of the idjits gets hurt, decides it is your fault, and follows up with a lawsuit.

Is is possible to rent chain link fencing rather than having to buy it?

How about some "Watch for Scorpions" signs?

How about some "Toxic Waste" signs, with little haz-mat symbols?

How about a dog house with an enormous bowl outside of it with the name SPIKE emblazoned on it? Put a huge chain by the entrance way, making it look like there is a dog inside. Get some elephant poo from the Bronx Zoo and scatter it around the property.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:45 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Is is possible to rent chain link fencing rather than having to buy it?

How about some "Watch for Scorpions" signs?

How about some "Toxic Waste" signs, with little haz-mat symbols?

How about a dog house with an enormous bowl outside of it with the name SPIKE emblazoned on it? Put a huge chain by the entrance way, making it look like there is a dog inside. Get some elephant poo from the Bronx Zoo and scatter it around the property.

But why limit it to scorpions? How about "Killer Bee Breeding Ground" or "Infested by Flesh-Eating Cockroaches"

Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 PM

200 posts, read 618,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop74 View Post
We had to knock our house down due to Sandy.
Since it's been down, kids from the neighborhood have been using it to play in .
We even caught some kids breaking into a shed that is still standing on the property.
Today, we found an empty box of fireworks sitting right in the middle of where our house used to sit.

What can we do to keep people off our property? I called the police and they said all they can do is add more patrol cars in the neighborhood, but that does nothing.

What else can I do? Besides spending a couple grand on a chain link fence which I already got an estimate for, as if we haven't spent enough already.
Get a phony CCTV camera with a big sign that says you are under surveillance.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:52 PM

267 posts, read 598,722 times
Why not while its vacant and you are not living ther currently, just let it go. Especially if you plan on coming back, let the kids do what ever........until you begin re-building. Then they should be no where near the property. Save your warranted anger for the real times when you may need it. And most important sorry about your home. Good luck

Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 PM

140 posts, read 214,446 times
Check craigslist u might find people giving fence away cheap even free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island