U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:48 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,100,340 times

Advertisements

Just renewed our annual contract at $3.50 a gallon. Before that it was $2.70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 PM

849 posts, read 1,222,601 times
follow this link to a chart that is updated weekly and compares current prices to last year's price ,which makes it even more depressing. I have found the prices quoted for Long Island to be quite accurate.

NYSERDA - Weekly Average Home Heating Oil Prices (http://www.nyserda.org/Energy_Information/nyepd.asp - broken link)

Old 01-07-2008, 08:08 PM

5,218 posts, read 2,209,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
I remember some years back when i lived in (or on) Long Island in the early 2000s, i was paying about $1/gallon to fill up the tank. I had roommates so we used to split the cost but we still complained about how expensive it was in the winter time. Then i moved into my own apt and my landlord raised my rent after 2 yrs because he said heating oil was getting too expensive. What does it cost these days per gallon and how much do you expect to pay over the course of the winter? I live in the South now with thoughts of coming back to NY but everybody keeps telling me how expensive everything has gotten. Just curious.
I'm paying $2.89 /gallon and Igot a GREAT deal ( I shopped aroudn.. best price won). I had a fill up 12/4 for $540 (I was almost empty). THey delivered again on 12/31 for $340 !! I burned that much in oil in 1 month AND I have a NEW heating system, keep the heat down upstairs AND do not put my heat above 65 (we walk arund in sweaters and cuddle under blankets).

Old 01-15-2008, 06:22 PM

563 posts, read 1,742,668 times
Just got raped on the Petro delivery of about 150 gallons, give or take....3.74 a gallon OUCH!

It appears the days of a decent fixed price plan I used to use are gone as I was never able to get in early enough at a good rate. Hindsight being 20/20 they are all good rates compared to this. Might have to consider their ceiling plan. Next delivery is tentatively scheduled for mid-late february....we will see....

Old 04-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
I remember some years back when i lived in (or on) Long Island in the early 2000s, i was paying about $1/gallon to fill up the tank. I had roommates so we used to split the cost but we still complained about how expensive it was in the winter time. Then i moved into my own apt and my landlord raised my rent after 2 yrs because he said heating oil was getting too expensive. What does it cost these days per gallon and how much do you expect to pay over the course of the winter? I live in the South now with thoughts of coming back to NY but everybody keeps telling me how expensive everything has gotten. Just curious.
Just got our oil delivery on 4/10 - oddly enough it was $4.10/gallon!!! Maybe they are matching the price to the day haha
We have automatic delivery/contract with a small company who promised us 20 cents/gallon off the "going rate". the last price noted at this link:

NYSERDA - Weekly Average Home Heating Oil Prices (http://www.nyserda.org/Energy_Information/nyepd.asp - broken link)

was much lower - has heating oil risen that much in the past few days ??
any thoughts/comments appreciated. I expect to pay a bit more for the service and know I can get cod cheaper, but like have convenience of the contract.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:10 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,711,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
... (H)as heating oil risen that much in the past few days ??
Wholesale heating oil is up about 21/gallon in the last week (Friday, April 4 to Friday, April 11), and was $3.19-75/100 a gallon at the close of trading on Friday.

You can monitor wholesale heating oil prices by going here: futuresource.com | Futures & Commodities Custom Quotes

Normally, at this time of the year, wholesale heating prices are at a price discount to wholesale gasoline prices, but this year is different and currently wholesale heating oil prices are at a 39/gallon premium to wholesale gasoline prices. This reflects the strong worldwide demand and resulting high prices being paid for diesel fuel and that diesel fuel is made from the same feedstock as is heating oil.

You can monitor wholesale gasoline oil prices by going here: futuresource.com | Futures & Commodities Custom Quotes

Because these price quotes are available at no charge, they come with a
30-minute delay.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:26 PM

889 posts, read 1,561,495 times
Default The New $5 Bill

Old 04-13-2008, 09:32 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,711,000 times
Default The why behind high energy prices

For those who actually thought that a Democratic Congress would bring about lower energy prices, the why behind high energy prices:

Old 04-13-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Wholesale heating oil is up about 21/gallon in the last week (Friday, April 4 to Friday, April 11), and was $3.19-75/100 a gallon at the close of trading on Friday.

You can monitor wholesale heating oil prices by going here: futuresource.com | Futures & Commodities Custom Quotes

Normally, at this time of the year, wholesale heating prices are at a price discount to wholesale gasoline prices, but this year is different and currently wholesale heating oil prices are at a 39/gallon premium to wholesale gasoline prices. This reflects the strong worldwide demand and resulting high prices being paid for diesel fuel and that diesel fuel is made from the same feedstock as is heating oil.

You can monitor wholesale gasoline oil prices by going here: futuresource.com | Futures & Commodities Custom Quotes

Because these price quotes are available at no charge, they come with a
30-minute delay.
thanks very much for the information and links . I feel (a little) better ...

Old 04-14-2008, 07:20 PM

21 posts, read 86,734 times
WOW! I am sure glad I locked in last year and I better make sure I top her off before the contract expires...BTW 2.49/gallon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island