Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:10 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
It seems that i am the only person on this board who cares about family values. Whenever I ask any questions, the first thing people suggest is relocating. That would put me away from my entire family (which lives on Long Island), and not something I would want to do unless I had exhausted all other options. Yet people here seem to think that relocating and abandoning your family is a completely trivial decision. If you absolutely cannot survive on Long Island no matter what sacrifices you make, then maybe you need to relocate and abandon your family, but it should be the absolute hardest decision you have ever made, and not a completely trivial decision.
You are under the impression that everone wants to live on top of all their relatives many of us don't. Abandoning the family, you make it sound like you are leaving them in a concentration camp....
I think you will find most people consider relocation rather than an austere or as you said "sacrifices" just for the sake of the tribe....

Your welcome to stay no matter the price or move, your choice ....

Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
You have more of an obligation to provide the best that you can for the family you create with your husband/wife than you do to your family of origin. It's what you determine to be the best you can provide that differs. If being able to visit your kid's grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins every weekend is important, you'd make that work. If being able to provide your kids with vacations, a better school district, college savings, etc. means relocating, you'd do that. You're not abandoning your family if you leave, you're making the best decision for the family you've created.

We are staying mostly for family. My kids are extremely close with my parents, brothers, and sisters and their cousins. So to move would be a big deal for them. When my father retires they are moving OOS, and it's likely that everyone will follow. If we were struggling and barely making it however, we'd be out of here for a better life for our kids without hesitation.
And I feel that it's more important for my kids to have a close relationship with their grandparents than it is for them to have material wealth.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:41 PM

Most of the posts here seem to prove my point.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory Hole View Post
Family values are very important and almost completely lost in today's society. What is funny is people stay and family talk you out of moving. Telling you how important family is. You decide too move. What happens next Your Family Dose Not Visit. One excuse after anothet. You are the only one visiting. Until you stop visiting. Them the guilt trips start.
Why should they visit you when you are the one who abandoned them?

Old 06-29-2013, 08:33 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
And I feel that it's more important for my kids to have a close relationship with their grandparents than it is for them to have material wealth.
You may (wishfully) think so, but a majority of kids don't.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:02 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Quote:
It seems that i am the only person on this board who cares about family values. Whenever I ask any questions, the first thing people suggest is relocating. That would put me away from my entire family (which lives on Long Island), and not something I would want to do unless I had exhausted all other options. Yet people here seem to think that relocating and abandoning your family is a completely trivial decision. If you absolutely cannot survive on Long Island no matter what sacrifices you make, then maybe you need to relocate and abandon your family, but it should be the absolute hardest decision you have ever made, and not a completely trivial decision.
Yes, you're the only one who cares! People just suggest relocating because they hate the idea of family and friends. It has nothing to do with the economic realities of living on LI or anything. Thank goodness for your sanctimonious advice. Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that it's better to martyr your family's future for fear of straying too far from "home." That's YOUR decision, why should everyone else have to co-sign it or have their "values" questioned?

Old 06-29-2013, 09:16 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
You'll miss Hurricane Grill & Wings when you leave.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:54 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Ya i would never leave my family and friends. Too important. Material things mean nothing. Rather be poor surrounded by ppl I love than rich by myself.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:32 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Quote:
Most of the posts here seem to prove my point.
No, we may prove the little world view that you set up for yourself, but not much else.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:27 AM

9 posts, read 11,133 times
Quote:
Why should they visit you when you are the one who abandoned them?
What is the definition of family. I love the Pro-don't move family values bunch. The funny part about them is living 10 minutes from family , and seeing them once every 4 months. Even better complaining when their family are knocking on the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island