Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 11:27 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,232,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Who do you think?! The wife. Oy vay. Best is now my kid said "it's only nine dollars!!" So I started yelling about how she can't teach him the value of money cause she doesn't know how to handle money. Me: "don't cry to me when there's no heat...that $9 bucks buy 2 1/2 gallons of oil for the tank!" UGH. I'M MY OWN GRANDFATHER NOW!!!!!

Still, VZ is complicit for even offering it for that amount. Dirtbags.
I don't bother with Flex view--it's a rip off. I don't even rent in HD because I refuse to pay the extra. I never let my daughter press any on demand buttons when I'm not around because she's almost purchased movies for $20 and has almost done the flex view.

You paid $9 so everyone can watch Grownups anywhere, anytime. Bust out the ipads, laptops and smartphones and get your money's worth!

At least the mystery solved as to why you paid $9 for a movie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 12:45 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,130 times
Quote:
My 1st troll post. Just looking to watch everyone pull their popguns and go at it over VZ vs CV.

Had FIOS for 6 months. Wife and kid busted my b*lls everyday hating it. Fewer on demand offerings, box froze, modem off line once a day requiring a reboot and the coup de grace...charged $9.00 for a 2010 movie (Grown Ups) on demand! 9 effin bucks?!?! Are they mental? Cable giving me my 24hr Fight Now TV and horsey racing for Grandpa. More free and cheap movies for the kid and wife and as they say on here "happy wife, happy life."

So regale me about the better quality based on the # of gigaboogies and hertzendoodles VZ has over CV and how magically I'll have an extra 4 minutes of battery backup phone when the apocalypse hits. When the end times come I'll be watching the fight network for $5 bucks less a month and THAT's about how much I care about which uber-mega utility pipes in my TV and internet. 2 behemoth schmucky companies with awful customer service. It already feels better to NOT have a contract.

Wow we love fios, but I was never a Cablevision hater either by any means. So far (about 5 months) Ive had none of the issues I you seem to have had but If I did I would probably be doing the same thing you are. Im def. staying put until the contract ends, but if fios wont give me a deal after it expires I will go right back to Optimum. All in all though Im very happy I made the switch to fios.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:50 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
mongoose, do you know who did the purchase? They hit "flex view"--those are $9 each for standard view. I tried taking a screenshot but it's not working.

Grown Ups
As soon as I read he paid 9.99 I was thinking that they mistakenly selected flexview.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:15 PM

186 posts, read 526,312 times
If you have a quality monitor FIOS produces a superior picture by far. Their internet speed in also superior. tried cable vision, the techs couldn't understand my complaints regarding fuzzy picture until I switched the picture from cable to a dvd. It was like night and day. sounds like you don't understand how to purchase pay per veiw. What I don't understand is why would anyone "buy" a movie? If you build up a "bought" library on FIOS its not like you can take em with you if you decide to move on.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvey103 View Post
If you have a quality monitor FIOS produces a superior picture by far. Their internet speed in also superior. tried cable vision, the techs couldn't understand my complaints regarding fuzzy picture until I switched the picture from cable to a dvd. It was like night and day. sounds like you don't understand how to purchase pay per veiw. What I don't understand is why would anyone "buy" a movie? If you build up a "bought" library on FIOS its not like you can take em with you if you decide to move on.
1. Picture is so slightly better to almost be unnoticeable. I have close friends who are Verizon techs who say that's mostly nonsense if you're using HDMI on a standard consumer HDTV. The big draw is the internet speeds.

2. I got 19u/19d with FIOS through WiFi. Pretty darn good. Got 12-19u/10-15d with Boost. Perfectly acceptable to me.

3. Read back. I didn't buy it. Wife and son the FIOS hater's bought it and got spanked for it.

As I discussed this, two people at work said they are switching back. One is like my wife and doesn't like FIOS for small reasons. One at end of contract and they are doubling his price. I told him if he wants to stay to contact retention and talk turkey. VZ owes me one now.

my wife's beefs with VZ as told to our VZ tech friend:
Sorry---I Hated, HATED, HATED FiOS--and I don't use the word "hate" often. First, I do NOT like that when you are looking at FiOS On Demand for shows etc, they are advertising movies with content that even I don't necessarily want _____ to see/hear. Second, as an On Demand Disney customer with Optimum, customers would get "previews" -- shows that Disney is advertising for weeks in advance, OPt On Demand customers would get to see sometimes as early as a week in advance. (I'm a nerd--I'll admit it. I like "previews") Not only that, but what FiOS offers On Demand for the Disney shows cannot compare to what Opt does---they offer the really, really old episodes---with Opt--if you missed a new show, you'd quickly find it On Demand---not the case with FiOS. (annoying to me..and _____) This last one may seem silly but with FiOS you can only see/check the present and future schedule --but with Opt you could see shows that aired an hour (or 2?) ago---so you know whether you missed a show or not.

I will also add that Optimums online interface is a gazillion times more friendly than Verizons, especially when it comes to looking up services, channel options, billing, etc.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:42 PM

715 posts, read 1,233,878 times
The boyfriend used to work for Cablevision (this is like 10 years ago) and absolutely hated. He was working the call center as a tech support manager or something like that. Long story short, they eliminated everyone in a similar position as him, outsourcing it.

FIOS has been great. He has to work from home at times and FIOS is what he needs. We rent movies every once in a while On Demand and they have a pretty decent selection, especially with new movies. He was also able to get $20 bucks off the bill and get Cinemax for free for 6 months. Hopefully when we end up getting a house, it'll have FIOS in the neighborhood.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:44 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,232,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
As soon as I read he paid 9.99 I was thinking that they mistakenly selected flexview.
^Yup, I said the same. Went on their website and found it.

Quote:
1. Picture is so slightly better to almost be unnoticeable. I have close friend's who are Verizon techs who say that's mostly nonsense if you're using HDMI. The big draw is the internet speeds.

2. I got 19u/19d with FIOS through WiFi. Pretty darn good. Got 12-19u/10-15d with Boost. Perfectly acceptable to me.

3. Read back. I didn't buy it. Wife and son the FIOS hater's bought it and got spanked for it.

As I discussed this, two people at work said they are switching back. One is like my wife and doesn't like FIOS for small reasons. One at end of contract and they are doubling his price. I told him if he wants to stay to contact retention and talk turkey. VZ owes me one now.
Mongoose, when you call them, gripe about pricing and competitors. They'll work with you if you get the right phone rep. Last time we called after Sandy to give us a credit for 8 days of no service, they upgraded our movie package for no cost. They said they had a special on the internet speed (whether they did or not, I don't know) but that was upgraded too and my payments didn't increase. I guess I've just been lucky with getting hold of the right people on the phone. Try getting them to reverse the flex pay. Tell them your child did it--you never know.

I do agree that their HD isn't very noticeable. In fact, I prefer watching in standard mode. I find the color changes when I switch to HD channels.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:48 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Quote:

Mongoose, when you call them, gripe about pricing and competitors. They'll work with you if you get the right phone rep. Last time we called after Sandy to give us a credit for 8 days of no service, they upgraded our movie package for no cost. They said they had a special on the internet speed (whether they did or not, I don't know) but that was upgraded too and my payments didn't increase. I guess I've just been lucky with getting hold of the right people on the phone. Try getting them to reverse the flex pay. Tell them your child did it--you never know.

I do agree that their HD isn't very noticeable. In fact, I prefer watching in standard mode. I find the color changes when I switch to HD channels.
I'm not looking to renew. I advised a co-worker not to leave if he likes FIOS just over the money. He should renegotiate through retention if necessary. Actually the thing to do with Verizon is contact them a few months short of the contract ending and discuss re-upping. They will usually offer the current "new customer" promotions or something close as long as you start a new 24 month contract. No one should let them bump the price after the contract period. Gotta fight for your right. Same with CV when they raise prices out of the blue (which is every other month it seems)!

Old 07-01-2013, 02:51 PM

715 posts, read 1,233,878 times
Quote:

Second this. We saved $20 and got six months of Cinemax free. The boyfriend was actually able to help his co-worker save $40 on his bill as well.

This griping about pricing and competitors works for Cablevision as well.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:10 PM

886 posts, read 2,646,711 times
Don't understand all this chatter about which is better. They both suck and provide little to watch. Two daughters who still live home use Netflix. I watch football and hockey. Wife watches HGTV and weather/traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island