Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,614,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Update - never a dull moment !!

This morning, I see the Mom with its chicks on my patio, guess how many ? Seven, yeah right !!

So, I think they are going in circles searching for food (I guess), not sure whats going on, but they could just walk out of my yard in search of food if they want to.

P.S: They are the cutest of the cutest !! I'll try to post a picture later.
So relieved to learn they hatched and weren't eaten!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 PM

734 posts, read 1,631,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Well then this is a learning opportunity for you. Feral cats will eat pretty much anything resembling food, including bird (ie., duck) eggs. You'd be surprised at what they'll eat.
I beg to differ. Not much you can teach me about feral cats. Having been involved in rescue for over 30 years and much of that has been with feral cats, I think you are dead wrong.
That being said, I am so happy that there are baby ducklings!

Old 07-10-2013, 08:37 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,757,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
I beg to differ. Not much you can teach me about feral cats. Having been involved in rescue for over 30 years and much of that has been with feral cats, I think you are dead wrong.
That being said, I am so happy that there are baby ducklings!
I love the Long Island forum... it's where anyone knows more than everyone else and isn't afraid to tell you so. Ok, I'm dead wrong. Long Island feral cats do not eat bird eggs. I guess anywhere else, feral cats will eat whatever they can reach, but not on Long Island.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 PM

734 posts, read 1,631,810 times
[quote=bubbathedog;30424560]I love the Long Island forum... it's where anyone knows more than everyone else and isn't afraid to tell you so. Ok, I'm dead wrong. Long Island feral cats do not eat bird eggs. I guess anywhere else, feral cats will eat whatever they can reach, but not on Long Island.[/

Yeah I love the LI forum too cuz it is filled with attitudes and sarcasm.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:28 PM

9,141 posts, read 13,166,846 times
Quote:
I love the Long Island forum... it's where anyone knows more than everyone else and isn't afraid to tell you so. Ok, I'm dead wrong. Long Island feral cats do not eat bird eggs. I guess anywhere else, feral cats will eat whatever they can reach, but not on Long Island.
Not to nitpick but I also find it difficult to believe that cats eat eggs. Of course anything is possible but I never heard anything like this before.

Now the ducklings when they hatch, thats a different story.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:35 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,757,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Not to nitpick but I also find it difficult to believe that cats eat eggs. Of course anything is possible but I never heard anything like this before.

Now the ducklings when they hatch, thats a different story.
A hungry feral cat will eat anything it can reach and overpower, including chicks and eggs. Not sure why you Islanders are having such a hard time believing the egg thing.

Now, perhaps these wild kitties don't find eggs every day. Maybe they prefer fried egg and cheese sandwiches from the deli .

Old 07-11-2013, 09:54 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,318,553 times
Click image for larger version

Name:	ducks.jpg
Views:	1662
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	114516

fyi, I think they all left, we have not seen them for 36 hours now.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 AM

9,141 posts, read 13,166,846 times
Quote:
A hungry feral cat will eat anything it can reach and overpower, including chicks and eggs. Not sure why you Islanders are having such a hard time believing the egg thing.

Now, perhaps these wild kitties don't find eggs every day. Maybe they prefer fried egg and cheese sandwiches from the deli .
Quote:
Attachment 114516

I do hope a hungry feral cat can overpower an egg!

Zulu, I would imagine they try to get in or near the water asap. Less predators than land although snapping turtles and large fish can eat ducklings.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:14 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,072,539 times
Quote:
Attachment 114516

Thanks for sharing!

Am I wrong, or do I count eight little ducklings??

Old 07-11-2013, 03:09 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,318,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Am I wrong, or do I count eight little ducklings??
You are right, I must have missed one. Good catch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island