Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:44 AM

80 posts, read 104,554 times

Advertisements

Do yourself and family a BIG favor. Do not send them to the high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney5000 View Post
Honey, the schools are fine, i had friends there. You dont even want to be in the best/rich school systems since thats where all the heavy drugs are at on Long Island. Just ben a parent and your babies will be fine.

You dont have any areas to avoid. N.Lindenhurst is not that nice IMO but its def not a bad area, same goes for Copiague. N.Amityville can be kinda sketchy but thankfully its not really dangerous these days so you dont have to worry if u drive through or shop there
Why is it sketchy - Not all white.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
I’m in N. Lindenhurst, same school district.
We like the schools, things I am surprised my daughter hasn’t learned yet, are probably more due to the changing philosophy of educators.
The houses are in that range (250k) because they're nothing special, and there are a lot of them for sale. (I have one that I paid 317k for.)
Lindenhurst isn’t the greatest, prettiest, town, but it’s far from the slums. Most houses are clean and well kept, and the neighborhood is reflected in its pride.
I’d prefer the village if I were to rebuy today.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:19 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Why in the world would you take a loss on your current home to move to Long Island???? There is NOTHING out here that makes it worth it!

Are you coming from Queens or Brooklyn? If I were you, I would stay put. The schools on LI are no better than NYC schools. Also, when your kids are HS age they can pick/choose the high schools they want to go to based upon their interest and abilities. On Long Island? You go to the HS in the town you live. If you're lucky, they "may" be able to do a BOCES program in 11/12 grade.

I would think VERY hard about it. Long Island is nothing compared to NYC. The biggest 'attraction' that all die-hard LI-ers brag about is: THE BEACH.
There are also catholic schools. It's not like public school is the only option on LI.

Besides beaches, let's not forget wineries, montauk, fire island etc. Those places are a schlep from the city!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:00 PM

764 posts, read 1,552,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaNy View Post
I do not know about the school today but when I graduated in 1999 there was nothing wrong with it. Why would you not send your kids there? Its been ranked middle of the pack.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:17 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
I do not know about the school today but when I graduated in 1999 there was nothing wrong with it. Why would you not send your kids there? Its been ranked middle of the pack.
SeeYaNY is consistently negative about LI. He would probably tell you dont send your kids to Jericho or that Asharoaken is a dump.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:02 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
There are also catholic schools. It's not like public school is the only option on LI.

Besides beaches, let's not forget wineries, montauk, fire island etc. Those places are a schlep from the city!

Catholic schools are expensive and as a parent who had her child in both Catholic and public schools, they are NOT worth the money! The difference in education and the diversity of the student population is huge. I would never, ever recommend Catholic school to anyone based upon my own experience.

Wow. Wineries. How thrilling.

Montauk and Fire Island (beaches). Please. If someone is living in the city, they can go to Coney Island or, better yet, the Jersey Shore or Atlantic City.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

Jehico is a fine school district. If you do not live , or send your kids to school in Lindenhurst then don't comment on my comment. Because you do not know anything besides what you google.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:27 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,240 times
Quote:
If the OP tells you that the children are all under 3 years of age, why are you even discussing High School?
If the family moves into a home there in Lindenhurst, they will have over twelve years to make a deduction,
or a decision on the issue of High School, and will most probably have long forgotten your truly unwise council.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:28 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
Quote:
Jehico is a fine school district. If you do not live , or send your kids to school in Lindenhurst then don't comment on my comment. Because you do not know anything besides what you google.
My nephew will be in the HS in 2 yrs. What can you tell me about it? DM if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island