U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-09-2007, 12:00 AM

6 posts, read 14,566 times
Default Can you guys respond?? :)

I asked before about Middle Island, near 25 and the golf course on the left- is it a bad neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-09-2007, 05:11 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,596,805 times
I'm very surprised you got no response around here on that question.
Middle Island is a mixed bag. I rented there for a few years in the 90's when I was single in Birchwood at Spring Lake. It was like living on a screen stage in Hollywood, beautiful & stepford-like inside the gate, but if you needed to go out after 10pm you'd likely see hookers working Middle country road. I live several miles east now, in Ridge right at the border of Wading River/Calverton. Our section of middle country road doesn't attract the skids.

Unread 11-09-2007, 05:12 AM

1,876 posts
Default Scroll Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenisabelle View Post
I asked before about Middle Island, near 25 and the golf course on the left- is it a bad neighborhood?
Its ok, but its not Gordon Heights thats scary.
Its the trailer trash down at the Middle Island Wal Mart that you should really be afraid of.

Go spend a Saturday with some of the local Section 8, Acid Washed, NASCAR fans and ask yourself...
"Is this who I want for neighbors?"

If you really want Longwood, I'd definitely go with Ridge or Yaphank.
Theyre both very nice.

Otherwise smart money might buy to the North.
Sound Beach/Rocky Point/Wading River area

Best

C

Unread 11-09-2007, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 15,796 times
We lived in Birchwood at Spring Lake from 1991 until we left NY in 2000. It was fine but I'm not sure what the area is like anymore.

Unread 11-09-2007, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 13,040 times
I used to work on the Landscaping crew for Birchwood at Spring Lake. The Board Members get extra special attention. The lawns are near perfect with no weeds. Birchwood is for older people, it has Security Guard, an Irish guy. He knows everybody. Birchwood is very safe and quite. However - I grew up in Middle Island. Longwood High School is filled with drugs. Artist Lake Community, is not a safe place to walk at night either. The Taxi Cabs will not go into Gordon Heights on Holidays. I heard a cop had his window shot out Halloween 2007 in Gordon Heights, by the same Cab Driver that told me they turned down calls on Halloween in Gordon Heights.. Most cab drivers refuse to enter Gordon Heights at night. Gordon Heights is worse then Harlem. SentryPredatorLocator.com says there are over 40 registered sex offenders living there. Its a short drive from Birchwood. If you go to Walmart, dont go to Middle Island Walmart. Instead, go to Centereach Walmart. I live in Yaphank now and when I need to go to Walmart I use the Centereach one.
All aside, Birchwood at Springlake is a cute and quite little area. Be careful where you move in Middle Island. The North Shore is cleaner then the South Shore.... and I live closer to the South Shore so this is not a bias comment at all!

Last edited by Mailinatorman; 11-09-2007 at 07:32 PM..

Unread 11-09-2007, 08:17 PM

1,876 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailinatorman View Post
I used to work on the Landscaping crew for Birchwood at Spring Lake. The Board Members get extra special attention. The lawns are near perfect with no weeds. Birchwood is for older people, it has Security Guard, an Irish guy. He knows everybody. Birchwood is very safe and quite. However - I grew up in Middle Island. Longwood High School is filled with drugs. Artist Lake Community, is not a safe place to walk at night either. The Taxi Cabs will not go into Gordon Heights on Holidays. I heard a cop had his window shot out Halloween 2007 in Gordon Heights, by the same Cab Driver that told me they turned down calls on Halloween in Gordon Heights.. Most cab drivers refuse to enter Gordon Heights at night. Gordon Heights is worse then Harlem. SentryPredatorLocator.com says there are over 40 registered sex offenders living there. Its a short drive from Birchwood. If you go to Walmart, dont go to Middle Island Walmart. Instead, go to Centereach Walmart. I live in Yaphank now and when I need to go to Walmart I use the Centereach one.
All aside, Birchwood at Springlake is a cute and quite little area. Be careful where you move in Middle Island. The North Shore is cleaner then the South Shore.... and I live closer to the South Shore so this is not a bias comment at all!
Gordon Heights is not worse than Harlem..its just not White.

We just drove through there tonight.
Its a hell of a lot nicer than most of Middle Island.

Per people I know on the SCPD, most of the drugs are over in Homestead Village and most of the Prostiution is over in Coram now.
Many of the Level 3s are now being exported to Mastic.

The Heights has come a very long way since the 80s.
Local Whites just cant seem to wrap their minds around it.

They hear Gordon Heights and assume the worst.
Its sad and prejudiced.

I tip my hat to the the Gordon Heights Civic Assocation.

Keep up the good work

C
Gordon Heights Future
History of Gordon Heights

Last edited by clamboy; 11-09-2007 at 08:33 PM..

Unread 11-10-2007, 02:08 AM

218 posts, read 475,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Gordon Heights is not worse than Harlem..its just not White.

We just drove through there tonight.
Its a hell of a lot nicer than most of Middle Island.

Per people I know on the SCPD, most of the drugs are over in Homestead Village and most of the Prostiution is over in Coram now.
Many of the Level 3s are now being exported to Mastic.

The Heights has come a very long way since the 80s.
Local Whites just cant seem to wrap their minds around it.

They hear Gordon Heights and assume the worst.
Its sad and prejudiced.

I tip my hat to the the Gordon Heights Civic Assocation.

Keep up the good work

C
Gordon Heights Future
History of Gordon Heights
I have to disagree here. Of course, Gordon Heights is no where near as bad as Harlem, and it definitley isn't a "dangerous" neighborhood. I say Middle Island would definitley be a better place to live. Gordon Heights is infested with sex offenders, and while there are some nice new constructions, most of the homes are run down. Lots of loiterers there at night too. And I know from experience since my friend lives there and I give him a ride home from work all the time. I am not saying Gordon Heights is a crime ridden ghetto, but I personally think Middle Island is nicer.

Unread 11-10-2007, 05:34 AM

4,104 posts, read 6,418,912 times
We live in Medford, by Yaphank and our fire district is Gordon Heights. While I will agree and say that Gordon Heights is cleaning up its act, it still is not a safe neighbourhood.

Amazing that we cannot play the race card. Gordon Heights is playing the race card with the fire district ; but thats a different story (of course).

d

Unread 11-10-2007, 07:10 AM

1,876 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We live in Medford, by Yaphank and our fire district is Gordon Heights. While I will agree and say that Gordon Heights is cleaning up its act, it still is not a safe neighbourhood.

Amazing that we cannot play the race card. Gordon Heights is playing the race card with the fire district ; but thats a different story (of course).

d
History of the Gordon Heights Fire Department

Considering the amount of closeted Nazis in their area back in the day,
Hitler's LI Legion -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/community/guide/lihistory/ny-hs729a,0,7169.story - broken link)
I'd say starting their own FD after watching their church burn down because local FDs wouldnt come and help them was a pretty sound idea.

"Screw em..let their Church burn" was the prvailing attitiude.

GHFD has indeed outlived it usefulness ...especially when you see the Taj Mahal that is the Coram FD.

Gotta love Crookhaven...gotta love our racist past.

Sad.

C

Unread 12-09-2007, 08:25 AM

4 posts, read 13,040 times
Default I Lived In Gordon Heights

I lived in Gordon Heights on Coolige Court for 3 months. My Brothers Girlfriend still lives there. How are you, going to tell me, from your "drive through", that you're right and Im wrong???? I lived there. My Brothers girlfriend says every day the door knob gets shaken. They run to the window and see a group of black strangers trying to get in, testing the doors to see if they are locked. But they bolt lock their door. And every day, randomly throughout the day, you hear the door knob shake and rattle. After a while you get used to it. Just dont ever forget to lock your door if you live there..
Not too long ago, a preganant woman and her mother lived in Homestead villege, gordon heights. They didnt lock their door. They were both beaten to death, raped and robbed. You cant make this up. I drove through Gordon Heights too. You can check www.sentrypredatorlocator.com and see for yourself just how many sex offenders are in gordon heights. Last time I checked it was 44.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island