Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:49 AM

179 posts, read 304,233 times

Advertisements

400 is my limit but I've seen many great looking houses that are mid 300's or even lower in decent neighbhorhoods. I can put a decent down payment on a house because I have a lot of money saved up (I'm only 24), and the mortgage rates seem passable, but what kills me most are those damn 11-12K property taxes! I also commute to the city so I can expect to spend around 350 a month on that. I live with my gf but right now she's not working so almost all of the burden would be on me until she finds something. Then again, she has a nice chunk of student loans she has to focus on anyway (I have none). Areas I'm looking around are Lindenhurst, the Babylons, Deer Park, Mass Park, etc.

I know my salary isn't great but I still make a lot more than a lot of people I know who have homes and kids. I'm also very stingy - I eat PBJ on most work days and rarely go out. But still....I'm trying to look at all the numbers and even my modest interests still seems way out of reach.

I know a lot of people will say to leave long island, but that's not an option because I just started grad school that my job is paying for. For other reasons as well, I suspect that I'll be working in NYC for a long time anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 06:52 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Why not rent? $50k on long island is not much.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 AM

179 posts, read 304,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Why not rent? $50k on long island is not much.

Renting now - it's not a bad set up for what I pay, but sometimes I feel closed in at times.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:14 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,107 times
How much is "alot" to put down? 150k? Even with a 200k mortgage 50k/yr isn't enough IMO.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:15 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
the magic question is what size mortgage are you planning on taking out?

Old 07-16-2013, 07:16 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Those places where there are homes at the 400s and 300s - check how much the insurance premiums are (damage, flood, etc.). I won't be surprised if they are higher than elsewhere.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:20 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
400 is my limit but I've seen many great looking houses that are mid 300's or even lower in decent neighbhorhoods. I can put a decent down payment on a house because I have a lot of money saved up (I'm only 24), and the mortgage rates seem passable, but what kills me most are those damn 11-12K property taxes! I also commute to the city so I can expect to spend around 350 a month on that. I live with my gf but right now she's not working so almost all of the burden would be on me until she finds something. Then again, she has a nice chunk of student loans she has to focus on anyway (I have none). Areas I'm looking around are Lindenhurst, the Babylons, Deer Park, Mass Park, etc.

I know my salary isn't great but I still make a lot more than a lot of people I know who have homes and kids. I'm also very stingy - I eat PBJ on most work days and rarely go out. But still....I'm trying to look at all the numbers and even my modest interests still seems way out of reach.

I know a lot of people will say to leave long island, but that's not an option because I just started grad school that my job is paying for. For other reasons as well, I suspect that I'll be working in NYC for a long time anyway.
I don't know anyone who makes well under $50k that can afford a home and kids unless they bought their homes for under $100K and we know that hasn't happened since the '90's. You cannot afford a $400k home on $50k income. Even if you're putting down $100k, I can't see how you'd get approved for a mortgage making only $50k. Are you not paying taxes on your paycheck? Then there's all the expenses and the unexpected expenses that arise. When I bought my house our household income was under $100k and we were advised to stay well below what we were approved for. You don't want to go house-broke and you can't deny yourself simple pleasures now and then. Keep in mind that taxes always go up so if the areas you are looking at are $11-12K now, you might want to reconsider looking somewhere else or maybe further east. I know people who bought their homes recently for under $300k but they are all making more than $50k a year.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:25 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times
Belakin brought up a good point-- it's not just the mortgage, it's the unexpected costs associated with home ownership and rising taxes.

I know this isn't my business, but I can't help but wonder if the gf you're supporting can't at least get a retail or service job to reduce some of your expenses to make it faster for you to save up more.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
OP - You might want to look at a mobile home. I haven't looked into this myself but maybe other posters here have. There's a chance you might find something in Putnam or NJ (ex. the Brunswicks) for a lot less than 300K. Not sure if there are any in LI/Suffolk though.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 07-16-2013 at 07:47 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 07:47 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Belakin brought up a good point-- it's not just the mortgage, it's the unexpected costs associated with home ownership and rising taxes.

I know this isn't my business, but I can't help but wonder if the gf you're supporting can't at least get a retail or service job to reduce some of your expenses to make it faster for you to save up more.
I don't think the OP having to save more money is the problem, to be honest. Let's assume he's putting $100k down. How can $50k a year minus taxes possibly cover a $300k mortgage plus $1000 a month in taxes, cost of utilities, commuting expenses, food, gas and other unexpected costs? If he withholds taxes to take home a higher paycheck he's not going to get much back, if anything, when he files his income taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island