Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:54 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
When you say electric, and car insurance and everything else is cheaper down south it is not always true. Ive lived in the south and ive lived here. My COL is cheaper here bc I was making bupkiss down there. So yes single things are more expensive here but I'm making about 3 times more here than I was making down there so it's easier for me to afford to live here than it was down there. The $$ I was making down south put me below the poverty line. I do pretty well here. Just a different perspective.
I thought you went to college down there... Who makes a lot of money while being a full time student even if graduated and stayed you'll be in an entry level position not making the big bucks until down the road...

Ok you win its cheaper to live on L.I, taxes are less, housing, rents, col, everything then anywhere down south, Midwest or anywhere else in the country. You lived in 90 foot co-op in Lb and in a few weeks I'll be moving into a very large home on a few acres on the same money I made on the island...doing good is one prospective and a state of mind...

What kind of job to you have...... Just curious because how bad you used to bash your teacher friends to no end.... What do you do again? that you do so well and make 3x's the money?

Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Who makes a lot of money while being a full time student even if graduated and stayed you'll be in an entry level position not making the big bucks until down the road...
I did. A matter of skill, luck and willing to give things a try.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:04 AM

289 posts, read 399,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
When you say electric, and car insurance and everything else is cheaper down south it is not always true. Ive lived in the south and ive lived here. My COL is cheaper here bc I was making bupkiss down there. So yes single things are more expensive here but I'm making about 3 times more here than I was making down there so it's easier for me to afford to live here than it was down there. The $$ I was making down south put me below the poverty line. I do pretty well here. Just a different perspective.
I just want to make sure my math is correct.
Poverty level 2012 was 11, 170
You are making 3x what you were making down south.
This would make your salary to be 33, 510
So living on 33, 510 on LI. How is your COL cheaper?
Or was this an exaggeration tying to make a point?
There is no need to exaggerate in an attempt to prove NY is a great place to live. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:04 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
I love all the Debbie Downers on LI. So I'm here setting up Debbie Downer Thread.
I made this form hoping it will help. I will start it and YOU CAN FINISH.

Hello my name is ####. I'm a Debbie Downer. When I wake up the first thing I need to do is bash all the positive fourms about LI. My life revolves around hijacking positive forums with negative attacks. I know my attacts are unfounded but I can't stop. This is the blood that runs through my vains. This has increased to sleeping with my computer next to me in bed. My addiction has become a 20 to 30 negative posts a day.
But today I will wake up with a positive attitude. I will embrace all the positives of long Island.
I will not bash the positives.
Nice contribution. Smacks of syrupy desperation. Embrace the positives all you like. Ignore the negatives....at least until they swallow all your positives and leave you scratching your happy little head going "wha happened!?"

Wha' happened? - YouTube

BTW, nice Op Ed piece by the Director of the Rauch Foundation today once more talking about what LI "MUST" do to remain (become?) economically viable. I just laugh at the "negativity" of her suggesting Long Island has problems. She's another Debbie Downer. 665 separate taxing districts is PERFECTLY normal and cause to celebrate. It's awesome! Replacing 58% of middle wage jobs for ones that pay less than $10/hr?! Fabulous!!

Me thinks the OP is more or less a head in the sand goober who can't read as far as the Op Ed page. Ignorance is bliss. Like I said before. You just "don't worry be happy." Let us big "negative" kids fix all the problems for you.

Last edited by mongoose65; 07-22-2013 at 07:31 AM..

Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Please keep your comments to things about Long Island. Thanks.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
no one works while going to vet school....knew that was b.s. no one goes to vet school and then decides "nah not gonna do that" after 4 years of hell. one of my best friends is a vet....sorry this story is pure fantasy.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
You need to take time away from all the negativity on here from time to time. Once you start reading it over and over you begin to think like them. lol.
Right. That's called becoming educated. It may feel awkward but it's actually a good thing. No one can "make" you negative. They can only convince you to be concerned or not. Some will never care. Goody for them. Some may like having their leg peed on and say "ooo, it's a nice warm rain!" Me, not so much.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
To Jetties:
Close, focused on PCs when everyone else was still working with Big Iron. Also had some excellent teachers at SUNY Farmingdale that had excellent technical and business experience that let me straddle the tech and business sides of things. After that I was part of several startups such as doing tablet computers back in the 90's (major fail).

Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 AM

289 posts, read 399,740 times
I'm beginning to believe any topic on here will turn to bashing LI or the south. Hay I just got a new pet cat. Within moments- pet care is outrageous here on LI. My pets overall QOL stinks here. Between the taxes and pet counseling how can we survive here. I guess I have to go with the flow and just post and laugh.
Like another member posted here life is good. Yes it is . I went to bed last night on a full stomach and awoke today filling it once again.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
I'm beginning to believe any topic on here will turn to bashing LI or the south. Hay I just got a new pet cat. Within moments- pet care is outrageous here on LI. My pets overall QOL stinks here. Between the taxes and pet counseling how can we survive here. I guess I have to go with the flow and just post and laugh.
Like another member posted here life is good. Yes it is . I went to bed last night on a full stomach and awoke today filling it once again.
If the level of debate is too much for you, why do you start threads? Did you really think the "Debbie Downer" thing was so clever it would just make everyone with concerns run off in embarrassment. I'm glad you have a full belly. Plenty of people just left the keys on the counter for Wells Fargo to find and drove off in a UHaul because they can't afford to stay. Try opening your eyes to the bigger picture and look past your little "I'm so happy" tunnel vision. There is positive and negative. Both are valid. The PROBLEM is the NEGATIVE is growing faster than the POSITIVE can seem to find solutions. So your blind "upper" passive aggressive snootiness just makes you sound silly and not at all credible.

"Life is good" is not a debate on the state of Long Island life. It's just one opinion. There are many who would argue "Life was a helluva lot better" or should be. Some would say "Life sucks on LI." Why is their opinion less valid? Does it make you uncomfortable? They seem to have better arguments to back their theories than your hyper-biblical "my belly is full so life is good" homily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: