Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
NYC water from upstate is hardly pristine. Its chemically treated multiple times before coming down from upstate. Not to mention the centuries old pipes they flow through to get to you with lead and who knows what else in it. The water rates are about 3x the rate of long island for that "pristine" water. NYC income taxes also are in play.
Yup, and the water rates will go up again and again to pay for the brand spankin' new treatment facility NYC built underneath the Moshulu Golf Course, in the Bronx. Huge state of the art water treatment plant built entirely underground. Think how big the premium was just to put it underground... While the project is wildly beyond projected budget, it's pretty close to being completed on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
1) I know that.
2) Not all Nassau schools within 20 mins of Queens are good either.

So I didn't get your point.
You initially suggested moving to NYC to 'save 8K on taxes to take the kiddies to Disney'. I live and work out east -- like most of my neighbors -- so why would I want to downgrade to NYC schools, pay NYC income tax, live on a postage stamp lot (or god forbid joined house or apartment) and increase my commute from 1.75 miles each way to 40, 50, or more miles one way?

Some of the top schools in NYS and the US are 20 minutes (or less) outside NYC. Students don't have to take the subways and buses from one borough to another to reach them, either.

I'd sooner pay the $8K a year more for all I have here rather than downsize and have to spend the $8K plus on private schools and Bloomberg's tax.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
Quote:
Depends on your work hours if they are flexible and what time you eat dinner.

It is possible to make it from NYC to Babylon, Ronkonkoma and be home in time for dinner. 6-7 pm.

Assuming no screwups on the LIRR,

424 Penn -> 545 Ronk
429 Flatbush -> 557 Ronk
451 Penn -> 604 Ronk
501 Penn -> 620 Ronk
522 Penn -> 638 Ronk
541 Penn -> 649 Ronk
553 Penn -> 711 Ronk
Quote:
You are looking for ways to make it look bad. I never said complete time..
It does not take 10 mins to get off the platform if you know where you are going and what you are doing.

With that being said, it is possible to be out of the house a little before 6am and be home around 6pm or 7 and 7.
That is very unlikely, since most employers in NYC expect far longer hours than that. And even so, that doesn't give you a lot of free time.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:55 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
That is very unlikely, since most employers in NYC expect far longer hours than that. And even so, that doesn't give you a lot of free time.
Oddly if this is true, why are the trains filled, not packed, but filled. Exception would be the 541 and 553, those are packed.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Oddly if this is true, why are the trains filled, not packed, but filled. Exception would be the 541 and 553, those are packed.
A few theories:

1. Maybe some of the people on the trains are part-time employees.

2. Maybe some of the people on the train are rich people who don't have to work and are going to the city for recreation.

3. During the summer and school breaks, maybe some of the people on the train are teachers who are going to the city for recreation.

4. Some people taking an early afternoon train home may have taken an extreme early morning train to work.

5. Some people taking a late morning train to work may be taking an extreme late evening train home.

6. Some people may work a shorter workday Mon-Fri but work on weekends and/or holidays.

7. Some industries may require fewer hours (good luck getting into such an industry).

8. Some people may have jobs that allow working at home for part of the time.

9. Some people may be in positions where they can do whatever they want and just get paid.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:16 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
A few theories:

2. Maybe some of the people on the train are rich people who don't have to work and are going to the city for recreation.

3. During the summer and school breaks, maybe some of the people on the train are teachers who are going to the city for recreation.

4. Some people taking an early afternoon train home may have taken an extreme early morning train to work.

5. Some people taking a late morning train to work may be taking an extreme late evening train home.

6. Some people may work a shorter workday Mon-Fri but work on weekends and/or holidays.

7. Some industries may require fewer hours (good luck getting into such an industry).

9. Some people may be in positions where they can do whatever they want and just get paid.

Whut?! You mean people have different lives, schedules, compensation?! How DO the world continue to turn? Really. How do it do?! You need a better job. I'd ask MIT for my money back. Should have went across the river to Harvard or better yet, Emerson or the culinary academy.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Whut?! You mean people have different lives, schedules, compensation?! How DO the world continue to turn? Really. How do it do?! You need a better job. I'd ask MIT for my money back. Should have went across the river to Harvard or better yet, Emerson or the culinary academy.
If you read my post, most of the theories I suggested (just theories, not saying ever one even exists) are not necessarily better. #1 is worse. #2, #9, and to a lesser extent #7 (if it even exists) are mostly a factor of luck, rather than anything else. #4, #5, and #6 are no better or worse, just different. Of the theories I listed, only #3 and possibly #8 are really better than the norm.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:29 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
If you read my post, most of the theories I suggested (just theories, not saying ever one even exists) are not necessarily better. #1 is worse. #2, #9, and to a lesser extent #7 (if it even exists) are mostly a factor of luck, rather than anything else. #4, #5, and #6 are no better or worse, just different. Of the theories I listed, only #3 and possibly #8 are really better than the norm.
Actually I didn't even read it. This one either. I could figure it out at a cursory glance.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:29 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
A few theories:

1. Doubful for the most part.. Too expensive for "part time" work to commute.
2. Not every day..... trust me they are working.
3. See #2.
4. This is true to some extent
5. Doubful
6. yes, but not for the most part
7. stock brokers are done by 4.
8. Yes
9. Yes

Old 08-07-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Actually I didn't even read it. This one either. I could figure it out at a cursory glance.
You sound like a fool when you respond to posts that you didn't even read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island