Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:36 PM

67 posts, read 110,994 times

Advertisements

People on LI love to complain and think it's OK as long as they are doing the complaining, You see that here.

You've done all you can do being nice. Now it's time to call the town. Tell them the neighbor has an illegal shop in his garage. Tell them it's making too much noise and you want a decibel test done.

See what happens.

What the hell kind of cars are these? Typical LI trash with the cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Are you sure the garage is not really a methamphetamine lab?
Methlabs don't ventilate because they don't want to give their location away.....

But seriously what type of fan is this? Is it a standard roof mounted exhaust fan, is it a 4ft diameter floor fan, is it a 3' x3' window fan? Your description of "Whooosh" makes it hard to visualize, what type is it? What do the other neighbors say about this?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:51 PM

289 posts, read 399,740 times
Yes this is the code you need to provide to local Law Enforcement. AC 1934-2A. Section 32 .Also AC 65-10B. Section 2 This will correct the problem. This local enforcement code is directly related to you're problem.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 PM

5 posts, read 14,855 times
i dont know if the attachment worked. i trued sending a picture. its whats in the picture, minus the solar panel. i dont know the exact make of it or anything of the sort.
Attached Thumbnails
my neighbor's loud garage vent East Northport-image.jpg  

Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
inconsiderate neighbors... err human beings. I just don't get it.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:25 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,486 times
Are you otherwise friendly with your neighbor? If you don't have any sort of relationship to make awkward and it's really that much of a detriment to your daily life, I would say go right ahead and call the authorities.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Get your own fan and use the money you offered to pay the neighbor for the air conditioning unit.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:04 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
I agree with the OP. We all live relatively close together and we should have some courtesy to out neighbors. Constant noise from a house next door can be annoying.

My girlfriend had neighbors who built a pool then installed outdoor speakers. Well, the kids constantly played rap music all weekend long from the morning until the evening. You couldnt sit outside without hearing Dippity Do Dah "singing". I wouldnt say it was overly loud but it was annoying. Aside from that the town code forbade playing music outside if your neighbors could hear it.

Well that went on until my girlfriend couldnt take it anymore. She went next door, spoke to the homeowner. The guy profusely apologized and said "I couldnt live in this house unless I tuned everything out". The music was significantly lowered and cut back.

Now that is a decent neighbor who shows some respect for others.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:45 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Well the picture you posted appears to be a standard powered roof fan nothing unique. As other posters have said see if the town can do a noise survey that will identify if they are in violation of any noise ordinances. If your expectation is total quiet with nothing but the occassional bird you may be SOL, see how the survey goes.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:02 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary311x View Post
Hi,
i moved to East Northport almost 3 years ago. my neighbors and i have gotten along quite well, however, one of my neighbors has two really beautiful cars in his garage, and uses the ventilation fan installed to keep the garage from getting too hot. he also does some work in the garage.
i completely respect that and understand, but its excessive. it runs for at least 8 hours a day! after three consecutive summers i finally asked him, and very politely! to limit the duration the fan is running.

of course, i explained, im not asking to never have it on, i woudnt be selfish like that. just on so long. id like to be able to have my back sliding door open with the screen closed enjoying the breeze and id like to be able to enjoy the peace in my yard, reading relaxing, without it sounding like im in a wind tunnel, day after day all day long.

he has not communicated back with me kindly. he gets very short and borderline nasty. he claims he has the fan set so that the garage temp doesnt exceed 110 degrees. we've had some beautiful weather days, and some super hot ones this summer. i happen to think its moreso the fact he just really likes to have it on so that the ventilation is always in good standing. again, im not saying never have it on, im not like that, but shorten the length of time its running.

i also suggested getting a portable air conditioner/humidifier, they have settings as well, this way its inside the garage, less noise, and the vent fan will kick on when necessary.. and the ac/humidifier will help, tremendously. that, he didnt respond to, at all.

3weeks later, i approached him on the solution with the ac and he exclaimed that he is not going to buy an ac. but he'll use an outside fan when he's at home. well, i spent a lot if money to buy this home, i shouldnt have to deal with this every single day dont you agree?

currently its 5pm, he's at home now, garage doors are wide open and vent has been running since before 1130am!

i looked up noise code for the town of huntington, but a. im not sure if it'd be a valid complaint, (hard to follow the infrmation on that site) and b. id rather not go in that direction if it can be helped. but if i have to, so be it.

please, ive been more than reasonable. im asking out if sheer consideration. i find it very rude and obnoxious of him. please help.

thanks!

ps i have two dogs and always make sure they dont bark or cause any disturbance.

Look, I am originally from Long Island and I know the people there. But what I am about to say to you, hold true with anyone in the country - when you make that first complaint, it's as though a sword has been thrown to the ground, and whatever modicum of civility there once was, is gone.

People have to ask themselves if it's really worth it to complain or criticize. If you own your home and plan to stay there, it seldom is.

I also have to agree - really how loud can a fan be?

People want to enjoy themselves on their own property - king of my castle kind of thing.
And they can get pretty touchy about it when you tell then how to live in their castle, cape or colonial.

This can of worms is most likely of the unsealable variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island