Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 10:41 PM

24 posts, read 80,873 times

Advertisements

IM LOOKING AT A ROOM TO RENT IN BAYSHORE,LI (east main street at brentwood road)TO BE EXACT AND WANTED TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF AREA ITS IN IS IT DESERTED?BUSY?ETC..ALSO HOW LONG OF A COMMUTE IS IT TO NYC AND MANHATTAN??? AND I DONT HAVE A CAR SO HOW WOULD I GET THERE BUS?TRAIN?SUBWAY? IN CASE YOUR WONDERING IM MOVING TO NYC 4 THE 1ST TIME AND NEED SOME INSIGHT ANY INFO WOULD BE ABSOLUTLY HELPFUL THANKS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 01:53 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
For those who may not be familiar with Bay Shore:

Bay Shore is a hamlet (unincorporated area) in the southwest section of the Town of Islip, in the southwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Bay Shore in the Town of Islip is bordered on the north by Hamlet of Baywood and the Hamlet of North Bay Shore; on the east by the Hamlet of Islip; on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Village of Brightwaters.

The Hamlet of Bay Shore has a different border than does the "Bay Shore, NY 11706" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Bay Shore, NY 11706" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Bay Shore): places that have a "Bay Shore, NY 11706" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Bay Shore are in the Village of Brightwaters, the Hamlet of North Bay Shore, the Hamlet of West Bay Shore, the Hamlet of Baywood, the Hamlet of Islip, the Village of Saltaire and the Hamlet of Fire Island.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 11-12-2007, 02:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
If you are looking to go to the city often, Bayshore is pretty far. I'm not sure of the distance by train but I live in bellmore (in nassau) and my commute is 50 minutes...on a good day.

bayshore is ok. Stay away from the area around Fifth Ave.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:34 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
I guess you mean those apartments that are really on Union Blvd and Brentwood Road. The only other place on Montauk Highway (Main Street) and Brentwood Road are very expensive townhomes. The Admiralty, a gated community. There is also a welfare motel nearby (across from the townhouses). I think that there is a lot of crime there . I would be careful. You would be able to walk to the Bayshore LIRR station (it is not a short walk, though).

Old 11-12-2007, 08:04 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
It is probably the worst area in Bayshore, rite by the train station. It used to be ok but in the last 15 years it changed for the worse. Lots of crime/drugs and the wrong kind of people. If your gonna be commuting to the city your better off living a little more west.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:24 AM

603 posts, read 1,947,404 times
I've lived in Bay shore for about 10 years now.It is generally nice minus some bad areas that every town has.Im not exactly sure where the apartment youre looking at is.If it is where i think it is on Main st(montauk hwy) i dont think that is a bad area.Jdawg is right,5th avenue is not the greatest area.Same goes for 1st,3rd,and 4th avenue,and especially by the train station.Also if you go north of the southern states some of it feels like youre in spain.I have always thought of Bay shore schools being very good.I hope this helps.Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island