Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 04:56 AM

179 posts, read 304,293 times

Advertisements

Is that not one of the most onerous driving experiences for anyone in the Nassau / Suffolk area? Everything time I'm around that area it feels like a road trip - not too mention loads of red light cameras. If you just go out a little more east or west on sunrise, everything clears up a bit in terms of number of lights and car volume, but I think this general area is a prime example of why people say Long Island can be pretty congested.

No real point to this thread - just wanted to know if anyone else agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 06:28 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
I think the worst area is Old Country Rd by the mall in terms of congestion.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:49 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Isn't that by the Roosevelt Field Mall, though ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-05-2013, 08:44 AM

796 posts, read 1,756,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Don't forget that the Meadowbrook entrance/exit, Shake Shack, Best Buy, Staples, and Costco are all in that same area right next to the mall entrance. Viva la traffique!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
That stretch from TGIF to the Mall can be pretty bad, especially on weekends, but nowhere near as bad as other points in Nassau; eg- like anywhere near the entrances of Roosevelt Field Mall is brutal. All of Old Country Rd is pretty much a horror show during rush hour and weekends. Then you have sections of Jericho Tpke and Hempstead Tpke that are much worse. The constant theme here is the worst congestion points are almost always East-West.

Also, the new DQ plus all the shopping centers adjacent to the sunrise mall area compound it. The only red light camera I'm aware of is the Unqua/Sunrise cam. Did they put up any new ones?

Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
^^ This. During the holidays, congestion goes as far west as Franklin Avenue, and as far east as the Wantagh Parkway. It's a big mess.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:36 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
that stretch of Sunrise isn't all that bad IMO if you're just passing through. The lights seem to be in sequence so even during rush hour you're usually moving at a decent speed. At least that's what I recall from when I commuted through there 8-9 years ago. Getting into and out of the parking lots for the different shopping centers along that stretch is a different story.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:55 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
that stretch of Sunrise isn't all that bad IMO if you're just passing through. The lights seem to be in sequence so even during rush hour you're usually moving at a decent speed. At least that's what I recall from when I commuted through there 8-9 years ago. Getting into and out of the parking lots for the different shopping centers along that stretch is a different story.
It's really not bad at all considering also it's a small stretch and the 50mph limit. Definitely nowhere near central/west Nassau congestion.
The only time it was really unbearable there was the months after Sandy when the Ocean Pkwy eastbound lanes were closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island