Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times

Advertisements

Excuse me? I have been up to both Schnectady and Troy recently. When were you there last? Are you being racist because certain areas of those cities are black?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 11:57 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
I agree with Saratoga as well as Hudson. In Hudson there are bands that play folk music as well as all sorts of bars. There is even a bookstore that serves beer (including tap).

If you are going to CT - Mohegan Sun.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandnativegal View Post
Thank you all so much for your replies. We do love the outdoors. We love to hike and we were also looking to rent a canoe or kayak. So thanks for all your suggestions, I will def look into them. I appreciate it very much
If you head as far north as Lake George, VT is very closeby.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:26 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can give me a few ideas about taking a vacation upstate NY.Are there any nice areas you can recommend for a weekend trip. Suited for a couple with no kids .Upstate NY is first on my list but I wouldn't mind the New England area either.Any suggestions? Thanks
In Red Hook NY an easy trip
Plan Your Visit « Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Old 08-14-2013, 02:57 PM

20,927 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Lake George, Cooperstown, Saratoga.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:23 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can give me a few ideas about taking a vacation upstate NY.Are there any nice areas you can recommend for a weekend trip. Suited for a couple with no kids .Upstate NY is first on my list but I wouldn't mind the New England area either.Any suggestions? Thanks
Cold Spring NY- up the Hudson above Garrison. (not Cold Spring Harbor). Check out the hotel on the river just north of the town gazebo.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:10 AM

76 posts, read 96,698 times
Finger Lakes region--- wine and cheese trails, boating, pictureqsue drives, etc. :-)

Lake Placid :-)

Old 08-20-2013, 08:18 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,212 times
Woodstock

Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
How far are you willing to travel? There is so much to see and do.
If you go to Cooperstown, there is a lake with canoe and kayak rentals. The big attraction is the Baseball Hall of fame, but there are a couple of smaller museums in town too, including a little historical 19th-century village, like a small Bethpage Restoration Village. The Glimmer Glass Opera house is near by. Then, take a short detour to Howe's Caverns. You can stop off at Albany on the way up or on the way back. I highly recommend to everyone to take a tour of the New York State capitol building. We have one of the most interesting capitol buildings in terms of history and architecture in the country.

Other suggestions not yet mentioned:
The Berkshires
Some of the best and most scenic places I've ever going canoeing and kayaking were in Vermont and New Hampshire.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 AM

192 posts, read 354,823 times
I just came back from Mystic. Providence is also a cute little city, and you can day trip to Newport. I haven't been to Lake George since I was a teenager but I hear it is nice. I also hear nice things about Hudson. I've been dying to check out the Walkway Over the Hudson. We once did an overnight to Bear Mountain also, but Bear Mountain can easily be a day trip. Went to the Finger Lakes last year on business and it was beautiful -- I wish I was able to spend more time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island