Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:03 PM

32 posts, read 142,778 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are looking to buy a house on the North Shore of LI (most probably in the town of Oyster Bay or North Hempstead). I have heard a lot about the beautiful beaches of LI but am only familiar with Jones beach & Long Beach. Can someone tell me about the other hidden gem beaches in Nassau county, LI? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:08 PM

246 posts, read 430,635 times
Nickerson Beach is great but that's Town of Hempstead. Though anyone can go - you just have to pay more.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:37 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Welcome to Long Island GSS19!

The Town of Oyster Bay has TOBAY Beach (Town of Oyster Bay beach) on the Atlantic Ocean a few miles east of Jones Beach State Park. It can get crowded at times but its nice that Oyster Bay residents have the option.

Here is the Oyster Bay Town beaches. Except for Tobay and Massapequa, I think all other Oyster Bay beaches are on the North Shore.

Beekman Beach, Oyster Bay
Passive Park

Centre Island Beaches, Bayville.....624-6123
Town of Oyster Bay residents and non-residents. Bathing in Oyster Bay Harbor and Long Island Sound, picnic area on bay side.

Philip B. Healey Beach at Florence Avenue, Massapequa.....797-7994
Town of Oyster Bay residents only. Bathing in South Oyster Bay, playground, picnic area

Charles E. Ransom Beach, Bayville.....624-6160
Town of Oyster Bay residents and non-residents. Beach overlook, playground.

Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Park and Beach, Oyster Bay.....624-6202
Town of Oyster Bay residents only. Bathing in Oyster Bay Harbor; pavilion; refreshment stand; 2 covered picnic areas; tennis, handball and basketball courts; softball fields; children play areas; picnic area; launching ramps; 97-slip marina; Dingy racks; scenic walking paths throughout the facility, kayak racks, gazebo.

Stehli Beach, Bayville/Lattingtown.....624-6125
Town of Oyster Bay residents only. Bathing in Long Island Sound

Harry Tappen Beach, Glenwood Landing.....674-7100
Town of Oyster Bay residents and non-residents. Bathing in Hempstead Harbor, picnic area, sunfish/sailfish/kayak racks, boat launching ramp, 272-slip marina, playground, swimming pool and halfcourt basketball.

Tobay Beach, Massapequa.....679-3900
Town of Oyster Bay residents, with non-residents permitted Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). Surf bathing in Atlantic Ocean, calm water bathing in South Oyster Bay, refreshment stands, two bayside restaurants, surfboarding and soft boarding area, 9/11 Memorial, an over 150-slip transient boat basin in bay area, children's play area, TOBAY Spray Park, TOBAY Miniature Golf Course.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:08 PM

32 posts, read 142,778 times
thanks LINative & Player01!

Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
As mentioned, Tobay is a Town of Oyster Bay Beach, $60 for the season for residents - forget about it if you are not. It can get crowded on the weekends if you don't want to walk a little, we love it though. Spray park, a few restaurants, clean - you can have a few drinks and no one bothers you. There is a whole boater scene at the marina though I am not a boater.

LB is great too, need to get the resident family pass though.

Nickerson? Not sure. I think it is TOH.

Jones? Can be ghetto depending what field you are at.

Gilgo I hear is awesome if you are in suffolk.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:38 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
As mentioned, Tobay is a Town of Oyster Bay Beach, $60 for the season for residents - forget about it if you are not. It can get crowded on the weekends if you don't want to walk a little, we love it though. Spray park, a few restaurants, clean - you can have a few drinks and no one bothers you. There is a whole boater scene at the marina though I am not a boater.

You dont need to get a resident pass for LB. Anyone can go, it is just crazy expensive... And forget about parking- there is none.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:46 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
We always like the beach at Roosevelt Park in Oyster Bay when the kids were little. Right by Sewanaka (sp?) Yacht Club.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:57 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Jones Beach/Robert Moses/Compsewogue are all great.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post

Yeah I like Gilgo.

To the OP, Gilgo is a mostly undeveloped state park between Jones Beach SP in the west and Robert Moses SP (my favorite) further east. This park is popular for people with 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Near Gilgo are a couple of nice Babylon Town Parks. Cedar Beach and Overlook Beach.

Town of Babylon

Old 08-16-2013, 09:59 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
We typically go to Tobay and it's great with soft clean sand and a spray park for the kids, but recently went back to Robert Moses after many years and I'd consider it to be on par - the sand is even softer and also not as crowded - it is of course further away. The other thing that was great is the water level stays pretty low so you can literally walk out into the ocean. Great for the kids or any non-swimmers. Parking is only $10 compared to $15 for Tobay. No spray park but they have a really big bbq area at field 2.

Where is this Compsewogue beach area?

As for the north shore beaches - every one we've been to has been too rocky for our tastes. Anyone know of nicer ones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island