U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 09:40 AM

50 posts, read 75,377 times

Advertisements

Hi I have recently moved to Long Island from UK and been looking for an ideal apartment or house to rent.

I have seen some community apartments that look good on paper but i am finding loads of bad reviews..

So can anyone advise on Fairfield apartments in Farmingville or Avalon Pines in Coram?

Or even advise of great communities that i have not mentioned that have a good rep?

I am looking between Sayville across to Rocky point and port jeff to Patchogue area so the whole middle of the island a target for a possible rental.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Funky1200; 08-19-2013 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 PM

3,445 posts, read 5,058,548 times
Why would you move from the uk to long island....better be for a great job or education. This isnt exactly a place to move to for any other reason. Its a big area you are inquiring about and im sure others will come by with good suggestions.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 PM

159 posts, read 239,778 times
In a previous life, I lived in a Heatherwood community on Peconic Street in Ronkonkoma. I really liked it there, and they have a real nice pool.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 AM

8,115 posts, read 8,618,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Why would you move from the uk to long island....better be for a great job or education. This isnt exactly a place to move to for any other reason. Its a big area you are inquiring about and im sure others will come by with good suggestions.
Why not? The OP is coming from an area with a higher cost of living and have you ever seen a middle-class flat in a London suburb?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:23 AM

192 posts, read 302,060 times
I don't know much about the middle of the island as I just moved back to LI from the city, but I know people have been happy with Avalon communities. Only downside is they are very expensive.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:34 AM

HI guys - apologies i did not get any emails to say you had replied!

Just seen these now.. The avalon ones were high on my list bit i heard bad reviews and read them.... lots of them. All to do with losing all your deposit for the tiniest things and the management company were awful - so it kind of put me off...

Hence i wanted to ask from a locals point. As for moving it was for a job but i had one in england - i just wanted a change - and i love long island so far... no beaches near me in england, and ferries to fire island, took the orient point to new england and visited Newport in RI - drove through the wineries on the way and still to do NYC... there is lots to like!

England is boring ha ( well if you have been there all your life it can be! )

Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 AM

792 posts, read 1,303,332 times
I lived in the Avalon in Glen Cove for a few years. There is very little chance you will see much of your security deposit back upon move out (I think we got back something like $200 out of the $750 deposit that was required, and from what I could see we left no damage behind other than the ordinary wear and tear), but it was a nice place to live - clean, well-maintained, nice amenities, and very responsive maintenance staff. The downside is that Avalons are pretty over-priced compared to the surrounding area, and they'll raise your rent significantly ($80-$100/month) every year, so it can be unsustainable to live there long-term. That said, it was a good place to live for a year or two while figuring out where we wanted to live on a more permanent basis.

Heatherwood is also a good option - I've never lived in one myself, but friends have lived in several different Heatherwood communities, and everyone I know has been happy with their experience.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:18 AM

2,888 posts, read 2,749,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Do you have any clue how expesive the COL is in the UK? Moving to LI will probably be cheaper for the OP believe it or not.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Do you have any clue how expesive the COL is in the UK? Moving to LI will probably be cheaper for the OP believe it or not.
Hes right... it is comparable though - sort of!

So your rent is high yes but the cost of food and clothes and things is cheaper... you get more dollars than we get pounds but things are still the same amount of pounds! For eg..

lets say you earn 25,000 a year pounds in the UK. Decent enough salary nothing spectacular but decent.

You will take home 2000 a month after tax roughly. Your 2 bed house will cost you with bills and council tax ( trash collection, schools etc ) 1000 a month - a pair of fashion jeans say 100, a meal for two out another 60..

already you have only 840 left... and thats not inc mobile phone, cable, FUEL! imagine 22 dollars getting you only... 60 miles.... so yes its cheaper here...

Old 09-06-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
I lived in the Avalon in Glen Cove for a few years. There is very little chance you will see much of your security deposit back upon move out (I think we got back something like $200 out of the $750 deposit that was required, and from what I could see we left no damage behind other than the ordinary wear and tear), but it was a nice place to live - clean, well-maintained, nice amenities, and very responsive maintenance staff. The downside is that Avalons are pretty over-priced compared to the surrounding area, and they'll raise your rent significantly ($80-$100/month) every year, so it can be unsustainable to live there long-term. That said, it was a good place to live for a year or two while figuring out where we wanted to live on a more permanent basis.

Heatherwood is also a good option - I've never lived in one myself, but friends have lived in several different Heatherwood communities, and everyone I know has been happy with their experience.

And yeah this is what i have heard..... great until move out day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or