Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 03:16 PM

59 posts, read 271,396 times

Advertisements

Bellakin,

My understanding is FS is not really Sounth Shore. OP want to have home on the South Shore.
South Shore is more like Hewlett, Lynbrook, Oceanside which below Sunrise highway.
Of course no flooding in FS as its far from the ocean....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 03:28 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
You do realize that not all of the South Shore is located by the water, right? I live in FS and the only damage we got from Sandy or other storms were down trees and power outages. There was no flooding.
Yeah.. Franklin Square is pretty much not considered "South Shore".

Old 08-23-2013, 03:29 PM

59 posts, read 271,396 times
OP, understood.
If you dont like the city and dont mind to pay expensive tickets I dont really recommend Forest Hills.
Also you want to have townhouse not coop or condo which I missed the point.

If you want to go (town)house on the South Shore, be aware of flood zone for your security and be careful which part of Valleystream you want to live if you are interested in there. Crime rate is getting higher and my cop friends who works around there doesnt recommend me to get the house there tho. Not all valleystream some part are very bad lately.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:54 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
oceanside anwhere above atlantic never floods.

St Anthonys Church and Nathans were Sandy free. Pretty much water got around a block or two north of Burger King on Long Beach road.

My neighbors park their car in the CVS parking lot by Lincoln and Atlantic last two storms and never any water up there at all.

Only part of oceanside i would avoid is the Weidner area on other side of tracks. That area floods alot.

Also condos and coops you dont need to buy a flood policy it is in your maint. Just avoid a ground flood unit south of atlantic as that policy does not include contents

Old 08-26-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautymimi View Post
Bellakin,

My understanding is FS is not really Sounth Shore. OP want to have home on the South Shore.
South Shore is more like Hewlett, Lynbrook, Oceanside which below Sunrise highway.
Of course no flooding in FS as its far from the ocean....

On the Northshore the South Shore is anywhere South of the Long Island Expressway.

Heck Great Neck South High School is South cause it is on the South side of the LIE

Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
On the Northshore the South Shore is anywhere South of the Long Island Expressway.

Heck Great Neck South High School is South cause it is on the South side of the LIE
Thats a bit ridiculous and a stretch. The LIE dips through north and mid shore, so to claim anything south of the northernmost towns like Great Neck South, Roslyn, Williston Park, Carle Place to be "south shore" is stretching it. Most people consider Great Neck to be the North shore. Garden City, Franklin Square to be mid-shore and anything south of the Southern State Parkway to be south shore (at least thats my defintiion of it).

Old 08-27-2013, 03:35 PM

295 posts, read 345,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
You do realize that not all of the South Shore is located by the water, right? I live in FS and the only damage we got from Sandy or other storms were down trees and power outages. There was no flooding.
You are probably the only living soulthat thinks FS is on the south shore. It's clearly central nassau. However, it's not such a great place as it borders elmont/queens and is fairly close to valley stream/queens.

And to to agrree with another poster, this is not at all practical, but to the North Shore poplution, anything south of LIE/NS is south shore

Old 09-26-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Thats a bit ridiculous and a stretch. The LIE dips through north and mid shore, so to claim anything south of the northernmost towns like Great Neck South, Roslyn, Williston Park, Carle Place to be "south shore" is stretching it. Most people consider Great Neck to be the North shore. Garden City, Franklin Square to be mid-shore and anything south of the Southern State Parkway to be south shore (at least thats my defintiion of it).

Great Neck through Oyster Bay on Northshore when I grew up we considered North of Northern Blvd the Northshore.

Saying folks in New Hyde Park are the same as folks in Sands Point or Kings Point is crazy

Old 09-26-2013, 02:01 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
You are probably the only living soulthat thinks FS is on the south shore. It's clearly central nassau. However, it's not such a great place as it borders elmont/queens and is fairly close to valley stream/queens.

And to to agrree with another poster, this is not at all practical, but to the North Shore poplution, anything south of LIE/NS is south shore
No smarta$$, I'm NOT the only living soul who thinks that

and do you live there to know whether or not it's such a great place or not? Yes, it borders those areas and it also borders Garden City and New Hyde Park so what's your point?

Old 09-26-2013, 02:06 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,234,745 times
maybe you all should tell Wikipedia that they're wrong. I've always heard FS to be on the south shore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Shore_(Long_Island)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island