Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:04 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times

Advertisements

In one of my other forums, people got together quite often, a few times a year . When the person who did all the organizing left the forum, though, I notice that this has petered out. It seemed as though they all had a good time as they would post about it from time-to-time. This was a city forum, however, so everyone sort of lived close by.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-22-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 07:33 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,821 times
I don't think LegalDiva was discussing the NYC forum when she said only six out of 50 showed up. If she was, this would be the perfect chance to stick it at NYC and gather more people

Old 08-22-2013, 07:45 AM

42 posts, read 73,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
In one of my other forums, people got together quite often, a few times a year . When the person who did all the organzing left the forum, though, I notice that this has petered out. It seemed as though they all had a good time as they would post about it from time-to-time. This was a city forum, however, so everyone sort of lived close by.
Nancy- can we add you to the list as attending? I would love to have you there.

Something tells me this would be an interesting night. Lets see how the interest is today and tomorrow. If people are interested we can put up some polls and find an area convenient for everyone and then pick a place.

Who wants in?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Some great info on here, great people, don't get me wrong. I read and post some great threads. However, I can not imagine hanging out with a bunch of negitive people. Talking about the same stuff that is on this forum: high taxes, schools, QOL, cops, teachers, ect....
Yea but did you forget? Misery loves company..lol

BTW I never attended the last NYC get together so I have no way of knowing how many people actually attended. The 6 people that showed up was for ANOTHER message board that I was moderating at that time.

Last edited by LegalDiva; 08-22-2013 at 08:43 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234567 View Post
We spend a lot of time talking and reading each others ideas/thoughts. Why not meet in person? See the face behind the screenname. Are people hellbent of being kept anonymous? It could be fun to meet the crazies behind the posts.

We can even play a game. One person can organize the event and take a list of all those who are attending. Beforehand we can pick the most bizarre/shocking post by each member in attendance. We won't tell people who made the post. The game will be to match the face with the post. So we show you the post and you need to figure out who in attendance made that post. After which we can all wear cute name tags.

I think a bar or restaurant would be an appropriate place. Any takers? Is anyone up for this?

Come on Mods, who's coming? Or maybe we'll want to talk about the mods behind their back! Lol. Just kidding.

So??

I'll bring raspberries if mongoose brings some peaches.
Wait...who are you again?

Are you really going with "Mike1234567", 2 week new member with 35 posts?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:20 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Wait...who are you again?

Are you really going with "Mike1234567", 2 week new member with 35 posts?
He mentioned in another thread that he lurked for a long time before posting. I lurked the forums for at least a year before posting, so he probably understands the nuances of the forum

Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
I've been thinking about this for some time as well. Of course coming from me it could be misconstrued I could help with the organizing (but wouldn't be able to take care of the whole thing).
I'd definitely be interested! No anonymity here

A diner might be a good idea - usually no minimum reservations required, they generally have a separate area for meetings and always plenty of food available--for all tastes! How about Hauppauge? Near highways and kind of in "the middle" (should be a breeze for Crooks to get too LOL). Of course I'd gladly take Melville...

Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,674 times
A large divey bar would be great. There has to be one around Rte 110...large sports bar type place.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:24 PM

42 posts, read 73,541 times
You're worried about me? I'm not inviting you to my house. I want to meet at a public bar. I think a bar/restaurant would work best. We seem like a rowdy bunch who might make some noise. I was thinking something more central than hauppauge for all of our Nassau members. I really don't know where everyone is from.

Anyone else interested??

Old 08-22-2013, 12:27 PM
LI-

26 posts, read 33,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234567 View Post
We spend a lot of time talking and reading each others ideas/thoughts. Why not meet in person? See the face behind the screenname. Are people hellbent of being kept anonymous? It could be fun to meet the crazies behind the posts.

We can even play a game. One person can organize the event and take a list of all those who are attending. Beforehand we can pick the most bizarre/shocking post by each member in attendance. We won't tell people who made the post. The game will be to match the face with the post. So we show you the post and you need to figure out who in attendance made that post. After which we can all wear cute name tags.

I think a bar or restaurant would be an appropriate place. Any takers? Is anyone up for this?

Come on Mods, who's coming? Or maybe we'll want to talk about the mods behind their back! Lol. Just kidding.

So??

I'll bring raspberries if mongoose brings some peaches.
Would 1 person have to reserve 12 seats too cover his trolls aliases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island