Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:30 PM

44 posts, read 90,564 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a expecting Chinese mom. I am thinking moving to garden city for my future kids' education. We love the environment and its school district. However, their schools population are not diversified. 97% whites, only less than 3%hispanic, black n others. There is not even 1%asian kids in schools. We are afraid of our kids will be bullied in school. Can you guys please give advises for us if you know their climate in schools? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
OP, since you're new, I just want to warn you that you're going to get a barrage of posts.

Race relations are...shall we say....interesting on Long Island (especially so on this board), so you're going to get a lot of emotionally charged responses on both sides.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:20 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Make sure your kid learns to play lacrosse and you'll be fine, lol. Seriously, I think you'll be fine. GC has more class stratification than racial strife.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:47 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
The schools on the north shore have more of an Asian presence within student bodies. I would check out Hicksville, Roslyn, Syosset, Jericho, Port Washington, Great Neck, Manhasset (Manhasset and Syosset in particular have many Asian families). If you can afford Garden City, you can probably afford the above towns.

Garden City is primarily a Catholic, Caucasian area with very little racial/ethnic diversity in the schools. I don't think that's good but unfortunately, the average lower middle income minority family simply can't afford to buy the average house in GC (where good 4+ bedroom homes start at $400K and up) and thus are unlikely to have kids in the schools.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:51 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I hesitate to raise this because you and only you know (will know) your child but I know people who adopted children from other countries. The parents did their research and bought in a good, albeit less diverse district, after much thought.

The problem they had was not that the kids were not accepted rather the kids themselves felt so different they had a hard time. One child was a Chinese girl and the other was a Vietnamese boy. Despite all efforts they really didn't "fit in", and the kids were unhappy.

What works for you as an adult may not be ok for the minority child no matter how welcoming the district. Kids are very sensitive.
Herricks schools have about 57 percent Asian population, just as a point of information.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:34 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
As noted Garden City is mostly white and mostly Christian. Will you experience racism? I doubt it. I notice a lot more Asian faces in the news since we moved, and we sold our house to Asians.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:14 AM

487 posts, read 544,944 times
I think you really have to think how your child will feel. Garden City has many positives, however, it certainly is not diverse. There are many communities who have school districts rated in the same range that are more diverse and perhaps be a better fit for your child. The important thing here is that your child is happy. Childhood teasing can be rough.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:26 PM

110 posts, read 215,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
I think you really have to think how your child will feel. Garden City has many positives, however, it certainly is not diverse. There are many communities who have school districts rated in the same range that are more diverse and perhaps be a better fit for your child. The important thing here is that your child is happy. Childhood teasing can be rough.
what good areas are more diverse?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:34 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyny View Post
what good areas are more diverse?
Read post #4. Plenty of places listed.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:39 PM

260 posts, read 450,644 times
^^ I have to agree, Garden City is beautiful, schools are great but it is not diverse at all. I personally, would not feel comfortable sending my child to school there. Great Neck, Syosset and the Herricks district are *fairly* diverse and offer a solid education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island