Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:01 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times

Advertisements

I moved to my neighborhood early in the year so I really haven't made friends with the neighbors yet. But I do say hello to them and chit-chat with them every now and then. I try to make peace with them and offer my assistance if they need help in any way but I don't want to get too chummy with them. Hopefully none of them take me up on any offers.

Last thing I want is for my neighbors to get too comfortable with me and start asking my wife and I to join them for dinner or ask me to help them build a shed. I want to establish a comfortable distance from them. This is my piece of the American pie and that is yours. Respect my space and I will respect yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 12:58 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times
Yes we are friends with our neighbors. We have young kids so we are always getting together. Yesterday we went to a pool party at a neighbor's place down the street. We are not too close with our next door neighbors one one side. Their kids are all much older than ours. And the house on the other side the lady passed away so the house is for sale.

But the people behind us are awesome and we often socialize and there are lots of other families we are friendly with. Kids go sledding together in winter, trick or treating at Halloween, etc. we look out for each other. We help each other plow driveways. We always have a party when we lose power for hurricanes. My house has lots of room for improvement but my neighbors are awesome.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:06 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
A hi and wave from me. All the houses on a 3 house radius are AARP members. Not really anything to chat or hangout over.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:21 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Yes. We're not hanging out every weekend, but we've gone to parties at their homes and/or help each other out. This holds true for all my immediate surrounding neighbors.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:48 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I live on a busy corner, the guy next to me is never home and the few times I did see him he has waved once, the people across the street from me, I am friendly with the wife. We are very close in age. We chat a few times a week, we have even done garage sales together and done shopping together. My husband is not friends with the husband but he does wave hello to them daily. I buy her 4 year old son a Christmas present every year. We also share recipes and food, she knows how much my husband loves split pea soup and when she makes it she gives me some, If I make a dish I know she likes and I have extra I share too. My husband is not one for getting chummy with the neighbors but he will wave to them. The people next to them well no one talks to them, they never wave hello.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:50 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I moved to my neighborhood early in the year so I really haven't made friends with the neighbors yet. But I do say hello to them and chit-chat with them every now and then. I try to make peace with them and offer my assistance if they need help in any way but I don't want to get too chummy with them. Hopefully none of them take me up on any offers.

Last thing I want is for my neighbors to get too comfortable with me and start asking my wife and I to join them for dinner or ask me to help them build a shed. I want to establish a comfortable distance from them. This is my piece of the American pie and that is yours. Respect my space and I will respect yours.
This is exactly how my husband feels. He doesn't mind a quick chat or to say hello but at the same time doesn't want to get too close and have the neighbor come over to borrow tools, or ask him to help fix things etc.....He likes his space and privacy.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:42 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
We are really good friends with our neighbors across the street. We have keys to each others homes, we pet sit for each other, get together often and talk regularly. Our neighborhood is pretty seasonal so we watch the house next door and one on the next block for the owners that only visit a few weeks out of the year. We have new neighbors next door and we've already gone over to say hi and offer to help them with the projects they started.
We have a beach club so we chit chat with other neighbors at the beach. DH and I were both on the board of directors at various points so we know a lot of neighbors from that.
Our neighborhood organizes regular community events like a beach BBQ, camporee on the beach, holiday parties, kiddie activities, tween and teen nights, Zumba, bingo, boat races, fishing contest and a slew of other things. All run by volunteers so people work together.
If you like the old fashioned way of life where people stop and say hi and lend a hand this is a great place to live.
Having a sense of community and people that care was extremely important to us.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
Where we are now, we occasionally say hello to one another or have short chit chats. When the blizzard happened early in the year, our neighbors helped each other out with either shoveling or using a snowblower to clear a walkway or driveway. We've had to rescue the next door neighbors dog a few times when it ran out into the street.

We should be moving to a new neighborhood soon and we'll have to do it all again.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
More cordial than friendly but most everyone gets along. Guys usually venting about the town, taxes, code enforcement (kind of like on here, lol), women talk about the kids and pets. My wife knows more of them than me since she walks the dog in the AM. Seems to be quite the doggy mama clique. For house and pet sitting it's usually one of my kid's friend's parents. Most of the friendships are through the kids and activities. Seems to be the thing. We house and pet watch for others so they obviously aren't asking their neighbors either. Just a different relationship but the people are the only thing I can tolerate on LI....except for the schmucks on here of course! heh heh heh

Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post

see I disagree, I'd be fine with all of those things. I'm not looking to have that relationship with every one of my neighbors, but a few of them, I'm game.

I wave and say high to anyone in my immediate area of the block. I will talk at length with most of them, if we run into each other and have time. they range in age, we have senior citizens on 1 side, a family a few years older than us on the other, and a couple slightly younger accross the street. we've had the younger couple over for dinner, and the neighbors over for a party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island