Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 10:16 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,037,142 times

Advertisements

Several months ago, in both directions, the section of Lake Avenue South, between Townline Road and Smithtown Blvd, was given a "No Through Traffic" sign in both directions. Are those signs even legally enforceable? Are they official signs, or did some resident just put the signs up to discourage through traffic? If the signs are legally enforceable, then did the residents of that block buy the street, and it's now a private road? If it's still a public, town-owned roadway, then shouldn't everyone be allowed to drive on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 10:21 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,061,054 times
Why dont you call the local precinct. Or better yet, visit the propery owners and ask them.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:24 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,023,102 times
I've always wondered about these type of signs....how can the police determine what is an "acceptable" route between point A and point B on public roads?

You get pulled over.

"Well, I was driving this way because I wanted to check out that house for sale on Lake Ave."

Ok...is that a violation? The sign basically inplies it is illegal for anyone other than residents of that street or their visitors to use that road. How can that be enforced?

Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,044 times
Streets dont have to be private to restrict traffic on them. If it is determined that excessive through traffic creates a hazard then it can be restricted. You often see this on residential streets that motorists often use to bypass a more congested street, or traffic lights. Usually in typical I dont give a hoot fasion, speeding down the same streets. Residents complain, and squeaky wheels get grease.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:29 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,959,827 times
Well that is a pretty narrow road. I actually travel around here everyday in the morning, but I use Southern Boulevard to cut through from Smithtown Blvd. to Townline. Even on that road, I'm sure if I had one of those homes, I would hate all the excess traffic in the morning, though I would have known that going into buying the house.

Not sure how you enforce that law.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:39 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,321 times
My guess is that GPSs have been directing people up that road if they're coming from somewhere south of Townline Rd and their destination is somewhere in the vicinity of northern Lake Ave. Every other road would take you out of the way to some degree, and GPSs generally hate that. Thus, traffic has probably been increasing on that stretch of Lake Ave over the last few years, and people who live there have probably been complaining to the town that their once-quiet little end of the road is now awash in thru traffic.

Whether the signs will deter traffic remains to be seen, but I'd guess not. If that's the case, the road will probably be converted to one-way southbound eventually.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:01 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,023,102 times
It's a cut through to avoid having to wait at the light at Smithtown Blvd and Old Nichols.

It's been used like that probably for about 30+ years, considering that 90% of the housing in the area is pre-1975. I would estimate that 95% of the people living there bought there house in the last 25 years or sooner.

My street can also be used as a cut through..although it would slow you down tremendously..so can I have the town not allow anyone to drive down my street either because I don't like it and I want it to become a pseudo private road?

Old 08-28-2013, 06:56 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,037,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
My guess is that GPSs have been directing people up that road if they're coming from somewhere south of Townline Rd and their destination is somewhere in the vicinity of northern Lake Ave. Every other road would take you out of the way to some degree, and GPSs generally hate that. Thus, traffic has probably been increasing on that stretch of Lake Ave over the last few years, and people who live there have probably been complaining to the town that their once-quiet little end of the road is now awash in thru traffic.

Whether the signs will deter traffic remains to be seen, but I'd guess not. If that's the case, the road will probably be converted to one-way southbound eventually.
Lake Avenue was never a "once-quiet little end of the road". It runs from Townline Rd (roughly the middle of the island) to 25A (on the north shore), and along the way, it intersects Southern Blvd, 347, Gibbs Pond Rd, 25, Woodlawn Ave, and Moriches Rd.

I understand people not wanting through traffic using their street. But what makes the people living on that section of Lake Ave more important than the people living further north on Lake Ave? Or, what makes people on that part of Lake Ave more important than the people who live on Southern Blvd, Old Nichols Rd, or Gibbs Pond Rd?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,044 times
I know nothing about the subject road, only politics. If you scream loud enough you'll get your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: