U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 28,916,147 times
Reputation: 7273

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
You are referring to Boeing in Seattle which has a huge commercial aircraft buisness (Grumman and Fairchild was almost all defense) that is how they weathered the storm. Despite this they laid off thousands in the early 90s from their defense sector as did almost all the aerospace defense contractors. Other companies folded or merged to survive. In addition Grumman properties were leased from the US navy, (they were naval reserve stations on paper) they had huge tax breaks. Grumman closing the calverton facility and most of Bethpage was the result of the work drying up. It wasn't moved to some place cheaper to save property tax money and utility bills which had virtually zero to do with the death of the industry here.


NG did pull a fast one on Schumer no denying that (and may very well pay a price for that one day), the CEO re-orged the entire company several other facilities in other lower cost states were moved too. Also FL is cheaper but is San Diego?? Does it really save them that much to move from one super expensive area to another? That shows how little it had to do with operating costs here.
TY for explaining that further.

How do you think NG might pay the price for the fast one they pulled in the future?

Could San Diego be cheaper on property taxes because of Prop 13 or was that only for residential property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 28,916,147 times
Reputation: 7273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
These discussions always head towards a bad economy on LI, we already know that businesses leave for several reasons. I don't think we will ever come close to Detroit but there are similarities, loss of business increases to civil servants as if it was 1980 with no concessions. Detroit lost thousands of resident and their tax base yet continued to operate in the same manner for decades, LI has lost many businesses the last 20 years but continues with escalating contracts and pensions of civil servants.

We are not going back to where we were something needs to change with the mindset of entitlement to civil servants, this is going to be an issue for decades to come. Two of the wealthiest counties in the US and both with budget deficits along with many of the villages, pretty obvious we have a problem.
Unfortunately as this thread shows there are still complete morons who think we should throw money with both hands at civil servants with minimal job requirements and stadiums full of applicants. Even more alarming, we used to think it was more of an old people thing and the seniors would eventually move away and stop voting in the same old union bootlicking politicians and younger more intelligent voters would take their places, but now we see there are some younger even more brainless "throw more and more money at the civil servants to the detriment of the taxpayers" fans out there on LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 05:58 AM
 
639 posts, read 940,503 times
Reputation: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I do. More than one. Especially when there's multiple doctors in the family. That smells like family tradition; hence family money to pay it. And I know student loans would be one of your number one whines of being barely middle class on $210K if you were paying them. Nice try on the fib.



LMAO! The person you remind me of is a former poster on CD who used to viciously defend high insanely LI police comp just like you when she had never paid property tax in her life either also using Google to pull stuff out of her backside as mongoose says. She did it because she got a tingle in her panties looking at a man in uniform.



You're way too snotty and entitled to imagine as a CNA. No, cannot imagine it. NO CNA would dream of a $700K home in Pt. Washington as their first home either. Sorry. Let's imagine you as someone who got a masters as something to do before getting married and having a kid and once they become a "mommy" they will refuse to work and leave the precious one in the care of anyone else and will just do "activities" driving their special snowflake around all day to "Mommy and Me" and "Gymboree" and who knows what else that hucksters have dreamed up to suck money out of people.
What do you want us to do, show you the bill for our loan each month? I mentioned in another posts that we are in debt. Or are you just going to continue making assumptions that my parents were doctors also that paid the medical and graduate school bills. Although I guess people assuming you're from "a rich family of doctors" isn't the worst insult.

As for me not paying taxes, I live in apartment in Great Neck. I probably pay more for the building property tax through in my rent than you do on your home.

It sounds like you don't know Port Washington too well and making assumptions about the people because it's a north shore community. My SO has friends who recently moved there and got to know more about the town. Most people moving in are from Queens and are middle class. Are you also aware the median home price is $683k? Certainly most houses there aren't "McMansions" and just nice, average houses. But yea, I'm sure every family moving to Port Washington is planning on moving to Sands Point, Muttontown, or Brookville in a few years.

Before you start calling me "princess of Long Island", I never even seen or care watched the show nor do I have cable.

Last edited by ThinkingElsewhere; 09-06-2013 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 06:29 AM
 
639 posts, read 940,503 times
Reputation: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Exactly. No they don't. You just like to argue with yourself and it helps you to put words in their mouths or misinterpret what they say. Many have said over and over labor and especially utilities are a factor and you ignore it.
And many people only refer to property taxes, but you don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Simple. Lower cost of living. Market upstate wouldn't bear LI or NYC retail prices. Economics 101. Don't have to be an expert.
Oh I don't know. I also generally paid less for goods in DC and California. The most I ever paid for groceries and personal goods was in NYC/LI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
No they didn't for the same size or valued property as LI. If so, tell me where. Let's hear it. Saratoga or Albany a remote MAYBE. Most everywhere else outside of upper Westchester, LI or Monmouth in Jersey the taxes are significantly lower.
Albany you're dead on right about, especially when you live in the burbs closer to the actual city. Believe it or not new people are starting to pay $10k+ property taxes on modest homes. Some Rochester burbs also pay $10-12k in taxes now. Saratoga is (or one) lowest tax county in NYS.

Despite that taxes Upstate aren't "as high" as LI, they are high in relation to home value. Don't kid yourself and think people aren't complaining up there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Not sure that they are. Oranges and lemons in Florida and California are often way pricier and lower quality than here. They are a major export and part of their local GDP. The best get shipped, the average stuff stays local. In fact most of the better lemons in Cali and Texas are grown in Mexico. Maybe that's why they're cheaper (if they are). Economics 101 semester 2. NY produces a lot of milk and yogurt. Do you find our prices much cheaper because we make it here? Everything costs more due to high property taxes. Everything. High taxes increase the cost of doing business. They eat profit margins. High taxes sap consumer buying power, except in cases where it's reinvested in stimulus. This is the age old supply side economics debate that's been raging since Reagan.
I knew why fruits and veggies are cheaper in California than LI. I was just wondering you weren't going to explain to give me some false explanation on how it's because of property taxes. But then you seem smart enough not to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Wrong. I don't dislike it. I'm perfectly fine with it. If it were sustainable, but it isn't. Especially in light of the layers of local govts, the breadth of union power, the downsizing and restructuring of wall street, the decimation of aerospace and defense spending and the slowing of nutraceuticals. Only on LI can you get blood from a stone and the taxpayers are the stone. Even saps like us can only pay at the altar for so long until it becomes more practical to seek alternatives. Businesses just do it more quickly. Margins affected? Bye bye jobs. No muss, no fuss. We have to subsidize Canon so they will stay and pay people to subsidize the cop and teacher salary and benefit boom. WE pay at both ends. Getting it yet? Of course not. Blah, blah, blah. Tell me about the price of cheese in Wisconsin and how South Carolina pays it's barbers xxx $. Hippitty hoopla.
I got news for ya. Public sector and government is the largest workforce and supplier of jobs on LI, just like the rest of NYS. You should get out and interact with people on LI more rather than be on the CD forum all day. Newsday will have you thinking that everyone is outraged, and it's funny how another poster said that you only defend public sector salaries if you or have a relative who is one. Go talk to people on LI, everyone is either some kind of public sector worker or has a spouse/relative who is one. After public sector you'll see healthcare workers, who don't give two darns about public sector workers and salaries because they almost always bring home a good paycheck and are never out of a job, even if nurses make significantly less than experienced police. Then there are several small law firms that were established when the law market was good. Then you meet those who work in NYC, who are successful entrepreneurs, typical college professors and tradesmen. Then there is the retail that cater to this public sector, healthcare, NYC workforce, and other service based economy. Of course this is my anecdotal evidence, but it shows you're right about hardly any other private sector jobs here. Looks like with what I just described things aren't going to change anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Double WOW. You are the absolute 1st person I've ever heard imply LI was not part of "mainland USA!" Skipped over sublime and went straight to ridiculous on that one! Guess Manhattan isn't mainland USA either. It's Taiwan and LI is Oahu.
Oh mainland USA means a lot. You think if LI becomes "business friendly" again it's going to attract finance and IT jobs? No, that goes to NYC, SF, Seattle, and Austin. LI will probably have to outreach to biotech and pharma. Have you ever worked or been on a biotech work campus? It'S HUGE! That's why they need to usually operate in suburbs. They also need and go through numerous lab research supplies and stuff for the R&D, very costly to operate. My old company headquarters was in Westchester, manufacturing was in Upstate, and other offices in NJ. Why do you think they chose Westchester, NJ, and Upstate over LI? Easier and less costly to operate, simple as that. They don't have to worry about paying tolls or relying on the LIRR to get supplies onto LI. I know there's Brookhaven Labs, but that's also DOE owned rather than private, which gives it more perks for operation costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Wow. Super daft. They don't come to LI because the cost of doing business is too high. Period. LI is still a sought after destination due to proximity to NYC, beach and water activities and schools. If it weren't we'd be in worse shape than we are. I know a dozen people from Buffalo and all think LI is great but would never live here, why? Here it comes.....THE TAXES (and to be fair, the cost of houses). But thanks for pulling that Buffalo public opinion "fact" out of your keester.
Yet a few weeks ago you were saying Buffalo was thriving and "doing well", yet now you say people in Buffalo wish to live on LI if the housing prices and taxes weren't so high? I've lived in Upstate and other parts of the country, nobody in their right mind would ever consider living on LI. Not that they necessarily think it's a bad place and will agree that the beaches are nice, they just don't want to deal with congestion, traffic, and overall high COL. Btw, I met several Buffalo transplants in San Diego but none on LI. I guess property taxes must be the reason why they chose to live in San Diego over LI though.

Last edited by ThinkingElsewhere; 09-06-2013 at 07:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 08:05 AM
 
697 posts, read 1,152,896 times
Reputation: 351
@ThinkingElseWhere - You just don't get it. The compensation and pensions of civil servant workers are the catalyst for the sudden recognition of the lack of representation that we the taxpayers actually have. The core issue is there are no competitive market forces at all in determining the proper level of salaries and pensions for teachers and PD relative to the individuals that are the source of the funds to pay their compensation. Throw in the legislated job protection and arbitration and I am sure you can see how why we question these contracts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Nassau County
2,905 posts, read 2,760,902 times
Reputation: 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
TY for explaining that further.

How do you think NG might pay the price for the fast one they pulled in the future?

Could San Diego be cheaper on property taxes because of Prop 13 or was that only for residential property?

No Prob. I can certianly understand why many would think the defense industry was driven away for the usual reasons, simply because high property (And countless other taxes) operating costs etc. are the reasons most buisnesses either move or stay away from here (as you stated previously), especially over the last several decades.


I know san diego is cheaper on propery taxes overall, In fact I dont think there is another place that has our property tax burden except parts on NJ.

All I meant by the Schumer comment was that the defense industry is extremely political, guys like schumner have a lot of friends in congress, and when the time comes to award a big contract screwing over schumer (and Gillibrand) might just come back to bite them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 AM
 
2,630 posts, read 4,230,907 times
Reputation: 1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
And many people only refer to property taxes, but you don't



Oh I don't know. I also generally paid less for goods in DC and California. The most I ever paid for groceries and personal goods was in NYC/LI.



Albany you're dead on right about, especially when you live in the burbs closer to the actual city. Believe it or not new people are starting to pay $10k+ property taxes on modest homes. Some Rochester burbs also pay $10-12k in taxes now. Saratoga is (or one) lowest tax county in NYS.

Despite that taxes Upstate aren't "as high" as LI, they are high in relation to home value. Don't kid yourself and think people aren't complaining up there as well.



I knew why fruits and veggies are cheaper in California than LI. I was just wondering you weren't going to explain to give me some false explanation on how it's because of property taxes. But then you seem smart enough not to do that.



I got news for ya. Public sector and government is the largest workforce and supplier of jobs on LI, just like the rest of NYS. You should get out and interact with people on LI more rather than be on the CD forum all day. Newsday will have you thinking that everyone is outraged, and it's funny how another poster said that you only defend public sector salaries if you or have a relative who is one. Go talk to people on LI, everyone is either some kind of public sector worker or has a spouse/relative who is one. After public sector you'll see healthcare workers, who don't give two darns about public sector workers and salaries because they almost always bring home a good paycheck and are never out of a job, even if nurses make significantly less than experienced police. Then there are several small law firms that were established when the law market was good. Then you meet those who work in NYC, who are successful entrepreneurs, typical college professors and tradesmen. Then there is the retail that cater to this public sector, healthcare, NYC workforce, and other service based economy. Of course this is my anecdotal evidence, but it shows you're right about hardly any other private sector jobs here. Looks like with what I just described things aren't going to change anytime soon.



Oh mainland USA means a lot. You think if LI becomes "business friendly" again it's going to attract finance and IT jobs? No, that goes to NYC, SF, Seattle, and Austin. LI will probably have to outreach to biotech and pharma. Have you ever worked or been on a biotech work campus? It'S HUGE! That's why they need to usually operate in suburbs. They also need and go through numerous lab research supplies and stuff for the R&D, very costly to operate. My old company headquarters was in Westchester, manufacturing was in Upstate, and other offices in NJ. Why do you think they chose Westchester, NJ, and Upstate over LI? Easier and less costly to operate, simple as that. They don't have to worry about paying tolls or relying on the LIRR to get supplies onto LI. I know there's Brookhaven Labs, but that's also DOE owned rather than private, which gives it more perks for operation costs.



Yet a few weeks ago you were saying Buffalo was thriving and "doing well", yet now you say people in Buffalo wish to live on LI if the housing prices and taxes weren't so high? I've lived in Upstate and other parts of the country, nobody in their right mind would ever consider living on LI. Not that they necessarily think it's a bad place and will agree that the beaches are nice, they just don't want to deal with congestion, traffic, and overall high COL. Btw, I met several Buffalo transplants in San Diego but none on LI. I guess property taxes must be the reason why they chose to live in San Diego over LI though.
Not going to dignify you with addressing points. You just make stuff up, put words in my mouth or flat out bounce off tangent to hear yourself talk. I think it's clear to all that you are just a whack job at this point. If Nancy deletes me for name calling, so be it. If I say what I really think about your idiotic reply I'd go to jail. I am officially done with responding to you. I'm officially exiting the vortex. I might reply to others, but you had your 15 minutes. For the record:

1. I said the people in Buffalo I know LIKE LI but it's too expensive. Not that they "wish to live on LI."
2. The more you "reference" older posts of mine, the more (like ILLIB) I am starting to figure out your other aliases/user names. "The Vortex" is a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Massapequa Park
3,173 posts, read 5,862,509 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadayadaElsewhere View Post
And many people only refer to property taxes, but you don't



Oh I don't know. I also generally paid less for goods in DC and California. The most I ever paid for groceries and personal goods was in NYC/LI.



Albany you're dead on right about, especially when you livYADA YADA YADA YADA YADA YADAdest homes. Some Rochester burbs also pay $10-12k in taxes now. Saratoga is (or one) lowest tax county in NYS.

Despite that taxes Upstate aren't "as high" as LI, they are high in relation to home value. Don't kid yourself and think people aren't complaining up there as well.



I knew why fruits and veggies are cheaper in California than LI. I was just wondering you weren't going to explain to give me some false explanation on how it's because of property taxes. But then you seem smart enough not to do that.



I got news for ya. Public sector YADA YADA YADA like with what I just described things aren't going to change anytime soon.



Oh mainland USA means a lot. You thiYADA YADA YADA YADA YADA YADA YADA YADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADA YADAle as that. They don't have to worry about paying tolls or relying on the LIRR to get supplies onto LI. I know there's Brookhaven Labs, but that's also DOE owned rather than private, which gives it more perks for operation costs.



Yet a few weeks ago you were saying Buffalo was thriving and "doing well", yet now you say people in Buffalo wish to live on LI if the housing prices and taxes weren't so high? I've lived in Upstate and other parts of the country, nobody in their right mind would ever consider living on LI. Not that they necessarily think it's a bad place and will agree that the beaches are nice, they just don't want to deal with congestion, traffic, and overall high COL. Btw, I met several Buffalo transplants in San Diego but none on LI. I guess property taxes must be the reason why they chose to live in San Diego over LI though.

Seinfeld Clip - The Yada-Yada - YouTube

Your bloviation strategy will not persuade anyone. Sorry


Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Exactly.

No they don't. You just like to argue with yourself and it helps you to put words in their mouths or misinterpret what they say. Many have said over and over labor and especially utilities are a factor and you ignore it.

Simple. Lower cost of living. Market upstate wouldn't bear LI or NYC retail prices. Economics 101. Don't have to be an expert.

No they didn't for the same size or valued property as LI. If so, tell me where. Let's hear it. Saratoga or Albany a remote MAYBE. Most everywhere else outside of upper Westchester, LI or Monmouth in Jersey the taxes are significantly lower.


Not sure that they are. Oranges and lemons in Florida and California are often way pricier and lower quality than here. They are a major export and part of their local GDP. The best get shipped, the average stuff stays local. In fact most of the better lemons in Cali and Texas are grown in Mexico. Maybe that's why they're cheaper (if they are). Economics 101 semester 2. NY produces a lot of milk and yogurt. Do you find our prices much cheaper because we make it here? Everything costs more due to high property taxes. Everything. High taxes increase the cost of doing business. They eat profit margins. High taxes sap consumer buying power, except in cases where it's reinvested in stimulus. This is the age old supply side economics debate that's been raging since Reagan.

Wrong. I don't dislike it. I'm perfectly fine with it. If it were sustainable, but it isn't. Especially in light of the layers of local govts, the breadth of union power, the downsizing and restructuring of wall street, the decimation of aerospace and defense spending and the slowing of nutraceuticals. Only on LI can you get blood from a stone and the taxpayers are the stone. Even saps like us can only pay at the altar for so long until it becomes more practical to seek alternatives. Businesses just do it more quickly. Margins affected? Bye bye jobs. No muss, no fuss. We have to subsidize Canon so they will stay and pay people to subsidize the cop and teacher salary and benefit boom. WE pay at both ends. Getting it yet? Of course not. Blah, blah, blah. Tell me about the price of cheese in Wisconsin and how South Carolina pays it's barbers xxx $. Hippitty hoopla.


Double WOW. You are the absolute 1st person I've ever heard imply LI was not part of "mainland USA!" Skipped over sublime and went straight to ridiculous on that one! Guess Manhattan isn't mainland USA either. It's Taiwan and LI is Oahu.

Wow. Super daft. They don't come to LI because the cost of doing business is too high. Period. LI is still a sought after destination due to proximity to NYC, beach and water activities and schools. If it weren't we'd be in worse shape than we are. I know a dozen people from Buffalo and all think LI is great but would never live here, why? Here it comes.....THE TAXES (and to be fair, the cost of houses). But thanks for pulling that Buffalo public opinion "fact" out of your keester.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What you don't get is that reduction in property taxes would also encourage more businesses to come or at least stay here...more jobs, more income for those who aren't cops/teachers. It has a snowball effect. For someone making 90K family, a reduction of $2,000 in property taxes is a signifcant amount, yes. It wouldn't make LI "affordable" but you have to stop the bleeding at some point.
These two posts sum it up nicely. The negatives of a high tax/public-sector-dominant environment creates an exponential "tax" effect which burdens all of LI. It hangs over LI like a giant money sucking black cloud. I don't expect people like ThinkingElsewhere with such obvious biases to grasp the nuances of a concept like this.

-Direct property taxes (and other taxes; sales/gas, etc) reduce all taxpayers disposable income and savings
-Indirect taxation - Paying higher prices for everything because businesses have to pass the cost along
-Public sector "crowding out" the private sector. This one may very well be the worst. This suppresses private sector growth potential and incomes across the board by discouraging industries to come or stay on LI. Thank God for NYC and subsidies to large LI co's to stay (which we pay for anyway), otherwise we'd already be Detroit with nice beaches.

Last edited by Pequaman; 09-06-2013 at 10:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 10:18 AM
 
639 posts, read 940,503 times
Reputation: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Not going to dignify you with addressing points. You just make stuff up, put words in my mouth or flat out bounce off tangent to hear yourself talk. I think it's clear to all that you are just a whack job at this point. If Nancy deletes me for name calling, so be it. If I say what I really think about your idiotic reply I'd go to jail. I am officially done with responding to you. I'm officially exiting the vortex. I might reply to others, but you had your 15 minutes. For the record:

1. I said the people in Buffalo I know LIKE LI but it's too expensive. Not that they "wish to live on LI."
2. The more you "reference" older posts of mine, the more (like ILLIB) I am starting to figure out your other aliases/user names. "The Vortex" is a clue.
Making stuff up? So I made up the fact that public sector jobs are the largest workforce on LI, or how healthcare is large industry here that also pays well? That parts of Albany county and Rochester that pay $10K+ in taxes, or how Saratoga has the lowest tax rates in NY. The company I worked for (which I don't feel comfortable naming, but you're more than willing to look it up) chose to operate out of Westchester and Upstate rather than LI. That I've worked in biotech and it's very expensive to run? The idea that some businesses won't come to LI for a few reasons is my opinion, but your entitled to your own and can disagree. Beats me why you'd get so angry over that.

I would even tell you how I think there is validity in the high tax arguments and public work compensation, and how I don't see the issue as so black and white. But of course anyone who tries to defend the pubic sector a little bit is just voraciously bashed and reminded how "education isn't required for cops" and "teachers work part time" and just labeled as a public sector lover. There is no civil debate here just public sector bashing and calling anyone with a six figure salary "making a fortune."

Calling me insane? At least I participate in other boards, interesting threads, debates other times. All I see you doing is complaining about public sector salaries and LI private sector economy and NIMBYS. Every someone other week starts a thread on public sector salaries or hijacks other threads to talk about public sector salaries, it's annoying for people who want to participate in the LI forum and I've never seen it like this on other forums. I've only participated in maybe one thread, you seem to participate in every one day and night. Debating the same issue all the time sounds like pretty wacky to me, but it seems like you enjoy what you're doing here so who cares.

I can assume some nasty things about you and say them. But I'm not going to because I don't know you and I'm better than that. This is just plain rudeness now, whether you think I'm right, wrong, or making stuff up.

As for fake usernames and trolls, there is a lot of them on CD with a good chunk of them on this forum it seems like.

Last edited by ThinkingElsewhere; 09-06-2013 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 28,916,147 times
Reputation: 7273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
What do you want us to do, show you the bill for our loan each month? I mentioned in another posts that we are in debt. Or are you just going to continue making assumptions that my parents were doctors also that paid the medical and graduate school bills. Although I guess people assuming you're from "a rich family of doctors" isn't the worst insult.

As for me not paying taxes, I live in apartment in Great Neck. I probably pay more for the building property tax through in my rent than you do on your home.

It sounds like you don't know Port Washington too well and making assumptions about the people because it's a north shore community. My SO has friends who recently moved there and got to know more about the town. Most people moving in are from Queens and are middle class. Are you also aware the median home price is $683k? Certainly most houses there aren't "McMansions" and just nice, average houses. But yea, I'm sure every family moving to Port Washington is planning on moving to Sands Point, Muttontown, or Brookville in a few years.

Before you start calling me "princess of Long Island", I never even seen or care watched the show nor do I have cable.
Sorry not buying you have student loans ... you would have whined about it back when you were "proving" that $210K a year is barely middle class. Only an entitled princess could even bring forth such a thing ($210K = barely middle class) especially without writing about huge student loans (which doctors and people with masters may have) as part of her "proof." BTW I am glad I made you feel good; I know it pushes your buttons since you like to brag about your doctor brother.

The portion of your apartment rent which goes to property taxes is not more than ANYONE on this board pays for property taxes on a whole home. Which just goes to show how ignorant, woefully uninformed and unrealistic you are about LI property taxes.

But I guess you feel like a "big shot" because you pay overpriced rent for the dubious privilege of living in Great Neck. So go ahead and show off, princess. Newsflash: Nobody cares. Nobody is impressed. There are thousands of apartments to rent in Great Neck. Many of us on the board could rent apartments in Great Neck if we wanted to. We don't.

If you think a median home price of $683K means a community is mostly middle class, then you are indeed a princess.

But why are you bothering with me, when you should be showing up Redd Jedd and Goodnight with your superior knowledge? Still nothing on the answers to the reasonable questions they asked you ... why?

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 09-06-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top