Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:03 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Not really. My co-worker's husband works in construction and gets huge bonuses that end up being more than her yearly compensation. The biotech company I interned gave for huge bonuses as well in addition to amazing benefits. A few of my undergrad friends are CPAs, they get annual bonuses most people could only dream of. You really think most private sector professionals on LI are working in Walmart retail or the local pizza joint making peanut salaries?!
I am in sales so I don't get a year end bonus, I need to earn mine. I don't think huge year end bonuses are the norm in corporate America, they are more the exception
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 12:51 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Not really. My co-worker's husband works in construction and gets huge bonuses that end up being more than her yearly compensation. The biotech company I interned gave for huge bonuses as well in addition to amazing benefits. A few of my undergrad friends are CPAs, they get annual bonuses most people could only dream of. You really think most private sector professionals on LI are working in Walmart retail or the local pizza joint making peanut salaries?!
My wife, I, our neighbors and sons friends were or are all in the private sector and none get bonuses more than a potential months pay (and that is rare and certainly rare in the last 5 years). If you want to get anecdotal, I'll put mine and my friend's experience against your co-worker's husband and some CPAs. Guess the biotech comp. had bonus money since they had interns doing the work (j/k, couldn't resist)!

Quote:
Politicians and their support staff also get paid housing, access to private jets, and even better healthcare and retirement benefits than Long Island public sector workers. There are members of congress who even get "free" service from nutritionists at Mayo Clinic.
He got the housing because he was in the military (doctors on air force one are active Air Force). No private jets. Lb for Lb he made far LESS than his bro the superior officer on LI. To add insult to injury, he was also shipped off to Afghanistan twice. The Lt. barely dips his toe in Hempstead.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:01 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
He got the housing because he was in the military (doctors on air force one are active Air Force). No private jets. Lb for Lb he made far LESS than his bro the superior officer on LI. To add insult to injury, he was also shipped off to Afghanistan twice. The Lt. barely dips his toe in Hempstead.
Oh please, your military doctor friend is not being compensated poorly, even if he's making "far less" than the LI officer. Being a military doctor he also had his medical education paid for in addition to his housing.

As for the injury I go back to what I said- politicians and military get even better healthcare and retirement benefits than LI police. If I was injured in Afghanistan I'll take the better healthcare benefits over the higher six figure salary. Making $300K/year is not the main priority of military personnel. You really think all public service workers are in it for the money? If so, I'd make more sense to go into less stressful, lucrative field like finance before the military, healthcare, or law enforcement.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:08 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
True. Think of the resentment a new hire is going to have when they're working 5 years making base salary less then a McDonalds manager makes, while some guy just waiting to retire is making 150+ and driving an Escalade to work.
That is part of why the crime lab/DNA lab total fiasco happened which resulted in its closure. Resentment between the low paid civilian workers and the ridiculously overpaid police workers. Plus unqualified police workers wanting all the OT and chasing out the civilian workers who actually were trained and went to college for forensic investigation. What are we left with? Criminals let off because of the suspicion of shaky lab results. Numerous lawsuits against Nassau for the taxpayers to pay for. All DNA being sent to an outside lab at a premium price. And a crying shame.

Yes, keep giving these schmoes 100Ks of OT and discourage new blood with a ridiculously low frozen wage! That's the way they want it and their union and the politicians has fixed it that way for them instead of saying no you cannot have it! Who knows if they are even working that OT or just billing it? It was pretty easy for that Nassau cop to bang his GF every night in Nassau instead of go on assigned patrol for crying out loud. Sure nobody missed him until his GF sued Nassau County. Everybody just let him get away with it. Face it, we are chumps. Nobody can legitimately do $200K of OT and have a life if you add it up. This is BS to enrich the few and screw the many (taxpayers) as usual.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:11 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,723 times
Quote:
Not bitter at all. Realistic is more like it and responding to a specific post (which I'm sure you didn't read). Add your own literary affectation though. Makes your one line post seem so profound.
You sure are defensive.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Oh please, your military doctor friend is not being compensated poorly, even if he's making "far less" than the LI officer. Being a military doctor he also had his medical education paid for in addition to his housing.

As for the injury I go back to what I said- politicians and military get even better healthcare and retirement benefits than LI police. If I was injured in Afghanistan I'll take the better healthcare benefits over the higher six figure salary. Making $300K/year is not the main priority of military personnel. You really think all public service workers are in it for the money? If so, I'd make more sense to go into less stressful, lucrative field like finance before the military, healthcare, or law enforcement.
Puh-leeze. Ask someone on the VA backlog how "lucrative" their medical has been. As for "med school." He earned it one way or the other and served in combat more than twice and still makes LESS than a LI cop. BTW the LI cop gets WAY BETTER MEDICAL than a VA hospital. He gets to go to LIJ in Manhasset. I'm done. This is ridiculous.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
You sure are defensive.
Wow, you think that zinger up all by yourself? Have another margarita.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:22 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,070 times
Quote:
Puh-leeze. Ask someone on the VA backlog how "lucrative" their medical has been. As for "med school." He earned it one way or the other and served in combat more than twice and still makes LESS than a LI cop. BTW the LI cop gets WAY BETTER MEDICAL than a VA hospital. He gets to go to LIJ in Manhasset. I'm done. This is ridiculous.
My SO works for the VA. You clearly know nothing about the VA with all your bashing of it, ignorantly assuming that the services and treatment are lousy because it's federal run. And VA doctors make just as much money as doctors in private hospital systems.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Wow, you think that zinger up all by yourself? Have another margarita.
That comes later. Why are you so defensive about this? Take the test and couldn't hack it?

Old 08-30-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I'm done. This is ridiculous.
Comment of someone who is completely out of excuses and drivel. OK, you're done. Are you going home and taking your ball with you too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island