U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:28 PM

9,038 posts, read 18,351,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
, and then they check each month to see if you need more? You call them when you think you need more? How do you know? When the end of the cold weather comes, then you are done. You don't worry about what is in the tank until next year? Do you have to find a company every year to come out?

Usually the companies estimate usage via "degree days". Until you establish your own pattern, they may deliver more frequently to be sure you don't run out. Do you know what size tank you have? Could be 275 gln or 550 gln.

If your water is heated with oil as well, you'll be using oil year-round, just not as much as in the Winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 09:34 PM

295 posts, read 363,395 times
Elki,

I have no idea to both questions.

I am growing concerned that I haven't received a LIPA bill! I keep watching the mailbox. They hooked up service mid July. Shouldn't I have a bill by now????? I just don't want to find out it is lost, and they think I am not paying it.

I am calling Swezey first thing in the morning!

Old 09-01-2013, 10:11 PM

9,038 posts, read 18,351,792 times
Quote:
Elke,

I am growing concerned that I haven't received a LIPA bill! I keep watching the mailbox. They hooked up service mid July. Shouldn't I have a bill by now????? I just don't want to find out it is lost, and they think I am not paying it.
Call LIPA and find out about the bill:

Questions About Your Account or Bill
- Call 800-490-0025 or 631-755-6000

With regard to oil, did you ask the sellers whom they used? And what their experience with that company was? What size the oil tank is?
Surprised your agent didn't help you with that.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:38 AM

OK. Hope I can call some companies and at least leave a message today.

Yes, I know the company they used. I may call that company also.

OK Calling LIPA too. I never wanted a bill so bad in my life. I just don't want it lost in the usps system.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:04 AM

67 posts, read 89,309 times
You were going to wait till late October to investigate heating oil?! You're going to need heat before that. At least at night. I've needed heat early as mid-September. Looks like it's shaping up to be a cold winter too - leaves are already turning.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:11 AM

Ok. I just figured there was oil in it from last winter. Calling tomorrow to see if I can get a contract signed this week

Old 09-02-2013, 07:17 AM

570 posts, read 980,401 times
LIPA doesn't bill you every month, that could be why you haven't gotten a bill yet.

Any oil company you call could come and tell you exactly what size tank you have and what that other "thingy" is!

If you contract with someone, you will most likely be put on automatic delivery - they will estimate when you might need a fill up.

My contract with Meenan has a cap - so if prices go through the ceiling I can't be charged more than the cap. The price is supposed to go down as well, if oil prices do manage to go down (HA!). But so far, I've been charged the cap price each time - the price you pay for having a contract I suppose.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 AM

15,723 posts, read 23,949,403 times
LIPA bills on a 2 month cycle. I doubt it's lost in the mail, you're probably due for it to come mid-September. If you were late, they would call you.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:15 PM

345 posts, read 758,798 times
Quote:
Elki,

I am calling Swezey first thing in the morning!
You should be concerned. Energy prices on LI are one of the highest. I found that out after moving here from MD. I appreciate this thread. I will also be calling Slomins. I have Swezey. They gave me a lock in price of 3.89. Seems a bit high now.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:28 AM

The reviews on line for Slomins were enough to make me look elsewhere. We shall see what I end up paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island