Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:27 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,992,798 times

Advertisements

After dman's assessment I feel good staying with my mom and pop who have been great for over 10 years. They merged with another mom and pop this year so they actually have a few more trucks now. It appears at 77 dad can no longer drive the truck. They are usually about .25 cents higher than the COD price at any given time. Costs me an extra $50 a year maybe after factoring in the free service contract and tune-up. With a history of great service, I feel like I'm doing the good thing sticking with a small family business. Seems like a win-win to me. I can text the owner anytime and get a quick response. I'm sure I'd just be a "customer #" to Petro or Slomins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 12:37 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,145,025 times
I wish I could find a mom and pop company like that. But it seems like after every yearly contract is up they try to rape me. That's why I rotate yearly.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:48 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,019,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
After dman's assessment I feel good staying with my mom and pop who have been great for over 10 years. They merged with another mom and pop this year so they actually have a few more trucks now. It appears at 77 dad can no longer drive the truck. They are usually about .25 cents higher than the COD price at any given time. Costs me an extra $50 a year maybe after factoring in the free service contract and tune-up. With a history of great service, I feel like I'm doing the good thing sticking with a small family business. Seems like a win-win to me. I can text the owner anytime and get a quick response. I'm sure I'd just be a "customer #" to Petro or Slomins.
I'm new to this, but a few more years of this BS and I'll either be converted to gas or sticking with one company.

I still find it fascinating/frustrating/mind boggling that major purchases that so many people have to make...heating oil, cars, etc...are handled in such a dime store back alley con-artist driven manner. If the lady who called me up from my current oil company managed to sucker some old lady into paying 50 cents more per gallon than she should have been paying...doesn't she go to bed feeling like a piece of excrement? That poor old lady living on $1,000 amonth in Social Security or something..you just suckered her out of $400 bucks this year. There's a seat reserved in hell for you!!

The first car company that opens up a no-haggle "factory store" type operation..where the REAL price is the first and only price...will probably get my business. That's another bunch of nonsense I just can't take anymore. "I have to go check with my manager.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:54 PM

537 posts, read 1,447,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I'm holding out for the Slomins "black Friday" special. Usually like .25 cents a gallon cheaper than what they are offering now. As dman said you have to switch companies every year.

This is easily the best price I found without a contract. CashHeatingOil.com: Discount Heating Oil Prices in CT, Long Island NY, NJ, PA, RI, MD, MA and Westchester, NY Has anyone used them? The reviews look great.

Does Slomins really do these black friday specials? I will have to look out for this if this is true. I am sure Petro will offer me some $3.99 special to renew which I will politely decline.

Last year they offered me $4.09. I laughed in their face. After basically telling them you guys are outta here if you don't beat my best price, they matched General's offer for new customers at the time. Was $3.54. So they will haggle if you sound serious. But this year I may just switch as I don't want to deal with the BS.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
Does Slomins really do these black friday specials? I will have to look out for this if this is true. I am sure Petro will offer me some $3.99 special to renew which I will politely decline.

Last year they offered me $4.09. I laughed in their face. After basically telling them you guys are outta here if you don't beat my best price, they matched General's offer for new customers at the time. Was $3.54. So they will haggle if you sound serious. But this year I may just switch as I don't want to deal with the BS.
My old companies first offer to me was $4.08. I said see ya.

Next day they called again, saying they were able to get it down to $3.80...still more than my cap last year when oil prices were higher then they are now.

I told them I'd think about it.

Then people here mentioned the Slomin's deal. I went with that.

I happily called to cancel the old company last night. The guy who answered asked me who I went with. I told him I went with Slomins, he commented "if oil companies gave that price to all customers, they'd be out of business. " To which I replied: Even if your price to make a profit has to be over, let's say $3.59 a gallon...that still means your first price to me was an attempt to rip me off for 49 cents per gallon. That's why you don't have a customer."

He had nothing to say after that.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:04 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,401,606 times
My $129 contract with slommins just paid for itself! Boiler wouldnt turn on last night, an hour later tech came out, replaced more than $129 in parts, and we have heat!

Old 10-24-2013, 02:07 PM

74 posts, read 231,790 times
The first car company that opens up a no-haggle "factory store" type operation..where the REAL price is the first and only price...will probably get my business. That's another bunch of nonsense I just can't take anymore. "I have to go check with my manager. [/quote]

Saturn was the first car company to offer pure pricing. The only other manufacturer that offers it now, as far as I know, is Scion (off shoot of Toyota).

Old 10-24-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
My $129 contract with slommins just paid for itself! Boiler wouldnt turn on last night, an hour later tech came out, replaced more than $129 in parts, and we have heat!
So much for them being a big company with bad customer service. Good to hear.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicBW View Post

Saturn was the first car company to offer pure pricing. The only other manufacturer that offers it now, as far as I know, is Scion (off shoot of Toyota).
On a side note, have you seen the prices Hyundai dealerships list on their websites?

37K for a Hyundai Santa Fe?

Old 10-24-2013, 02:21 PM

74 posts, read 231,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
On a side note, have you seen the prices Hyundai dealerships list on their websites?

37K for a Hyundai Santa Fe?

Yeah, they can definitely get up there. Not for me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island