Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:18 AM

110 posts, read 225,716 times

Advertisements

paid $100 bucks for a tuneup, all part replacement included..then i paid 3.42 COD/gallon..life is good..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 08:08 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,404,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glags11 View Post
paid $100 bucks for a tuneup, all part replacement included..then i paid 3.42 COD/gallon..life is good..
OUCH! You are happy paying $3.42 a gallon??? Oh i miss the $1 a gallon days!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:24 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,765,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't know anyone who owns a German car who doesn't have to have it in the shop constantly. Money pits all the way.
That's why there are warranties. I'm a huge German car fan, but I won't deny they can have issues (not always though) and much more expensive to fix. Hyundais are great reliable cars, and I have to say it's amazing the tech they are putting in hyundais and even kias nowadays. Still I would take a BMW with less options any day over a loaded Hyundai, they are much more fun to drive IMO.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:52 AM

312 posts, read 515,994 times
I know the owners had a new system installed last year, so now I realize it is probably smarter to not go with a contract if you don't anticipate problems. Oh well. I know in another form people were talking about the cod services. Maybe I will do that next year. I definitely expect to shop around again next year.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:44 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,004,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm new to this, but a few more years of this BS and I'll either be converted to gas or sticking with one company.

I still find it fascinating/frustrating/mind boggling that major purchases that so many people have to make...heating oil, cars, etc...are handled in such a dime store back alley con-artist driven manner. If the lady who called me up from my current oil company managed to sucker some old lady into paying 50 cents more per gallon than she should have been paying...doesn't she go to bed feeling like a piece of excrement? That poor old lady living on $1,000 amonth in Social Security or something..you just suckered her out of $400 bucks this year. There's a seat reserved in hell for you!!

The first car company that opens up a no-haggle "factory store" type operation..where the REAL price is the first and only price...will probably get my business. That's another bunch of nonsense I just can't take anymore. "I have to go check with my manager.
Try e-mailing several different car dealerships - put it to them bluntly: I am looking to purchase XYZ car with these accessories - heated seats, fog lamps, mats, etc. The color of the car I'm interested is: white.
Don't bs me, give me your FINAL price for all of the above, if it meets my requirements, I'll be in your office next week to purchase it. Try any funny stuff and I'll walk out the door. Some dealerships have internet sales divisions - a no-haggle (or limited haggle) experience, compared to the bs you have to endure when you enter the piranha tank over at your local care dealership.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:49 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,004,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
I went with Petro.

First fill up was 3.39. ..not to exceed 3.78. Honestly, I didn't remember my rate until I reread this thread. Next year I will look around again.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
$3.39 is the oil futures price for delivery in NYMEX Heating Oil November prices. $3.78 is what is currently projected for February delivery - chances are they have purchased those contracts to limit their exposure. The highest futures price I've seen thus far is about $3.99 a gallon. Too bad Walter Greenspan isn't around to inform us on pricing.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,528 times
I'm a newbie to this process, but just found out Lewis, Petro, Slomins, and Meenan are all "sister companies" and therefore they do not compete with each other on price. Can someone tell how everyone on this thread is getting the "new customer" prices going back and froth between these companies? I live in Nassau and am late to the game. Lewis is telling me it's $3.99 right now.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:02 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliang77 View Post
I'm a newbie to this process, but just found out Lewis, Petro, Slomins, and Meenan are all "sister companies" and therefore they do not compete with each other on price. Can someone tell how everyone on this thread is getting the "new customer" prices going back and froth between these companies? I live in Nassau and am late to the game. Lewis is telling me it's $3.99 right now.
I switch between Slomins and Meeanan every year. Just call them up and ask for a price quote. Right now, Slomins is probably offering the cheapest price if you sign up at one of their desks in the malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island