U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 AM

414 posts, read 652,899 times

Advertisements

Debate doing this every year since there is always the tiny risk you overpay. With what is going on over in the middle east, you just know if we start action in Syria the price is gonna skyrocket. Took my chance and locked in today. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the rear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 PM

4,536 posts, read 9,865,497 times
Locking in this weekend. Seen Slomins for $3.39 & $100 service contract.

What did you lock in at?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM

329 posts, read 688,597 times
This should be interesting, I am looking into doing it ASAP. I see oil is around $110 now and many see $125 in our future. It's going to be an expensive home heating oil season. I see even COD prices are up.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:35 PM

176 posts, read 295,025 times
I did Slomins at 3.39 and the contract was $129. I have heard slomins is not the best customer service but I have already scheduled the cleaning and will hope for the best if something did happen. Petro tried to re-up me at 3.99...thought that as so insane I would not even engage them in trying to bargain them down. I think Marran was at 3.69 at that time.

Luckily I only use about 400 gals/year thanks to my wood stove!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 AM

414 posts, read 652,899 times
3.99 with Swezey, no additional cost on the contract. I have used a few companies over the years, these guys have by far been the best.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:05 AM

1,600 posts, read 3,030,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
3.99 with Swezey, no additional cost on the contract. I have used a few companies over the years, these guys have by far been the best.
It's tough to time the market but I locked in with Swezey again for $3.49 back in June.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:17 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,265,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1 View Post
I did Slomins at 3.39 and the contract was $129. I have heard slomins is not the best customer service but I have already scheduled the cleaning and will hope for the best if something did happen. Petro tried to re-up me at 3.99...thought that as so insane I would not even engage them in trying to bargain them down. I think Marran was at 3.69 at that time.

Luckily I only use about 400 gals/year thanks to my wood stove!
did slomins have a minimum usage level (# gallons) to lock in that price ? are you a new customer w Slomins ?
TIA

Old 09-01-2013, 05:14 AM

176 posts, read 295,025 times
Yes and Yes. I am a new customer so that was a "promotional" price. In terms of the minimum, they do have a 600 gal. minimum however I had the rep alter and sign the contract to eliminate that before signing as I do not use that much oil. I did feel a bit apprehensive with that,however if need be I have a 2nd 275 tank which I have empty and shut off from my other tank by valve. I use it when I buy COD and need a better price for large volume. If they try to hit me for the minimum I will open it up and then let them deliver the extra hundred gallons or so.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:35 PM

63 posts, read 160,020 times
Signed a contract w Petro, $3.29 for first gallon and can only go upto max of $3.59, the "ceiling plan". I'm a new customer/new homeowner. $99 service contract was waived since new customer. I also signe up for $79 tank care coverage for the year. (Covers leaks & clean up not covered by Insurance)
Does anyone else sign up for that?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:11 PM

295 posts, read 363,511 times
Wow. I needed this thread. I know I mentioned when I bought the house I had no clue about oil and purchasing it. Someone mentioned some ideas to me, but with everything else going on I can't remember what was said.

I will call the companies listed here.

I never had a house with oil or knew anyone who used oil.

You agree to pay a certain price for a certain amount, and then they check each month to see if you need more? You call them when you think you need more? How do you know? When the end of the cold weather comes, then you are done. You don't worry about what is in the tank until next year? Do you have to find a company every year to come out?

I have absolutely no clue what this involves.

OK. I am calling Petro, Swezey and Slomins and maybe Napco.... (Napco was used by the prior owners and the owner gushed about how wonderful they were at closing)
Questions to ask (feel free to clarify):
l. Is there a minimum amount we must use?
2. Do you pay cash on delivery? (maybe that is how it works-- fine with me but just wondering)
3. Is there a contract fee?
I did save a ton of ads that came the first week I lived here last month from oil companies. Reading all these posts made me move this up to this week. I had it down on my to do list for late October.

I know there is a new Buderus "thing" in the basement which I believe is linked to the use of oil. One is a hot water heater, but the second "thing" is what I believe is tied to the use of the oil. The oil tank is above ground outside in my yard.

OK. ..Swezey has AMAZING reviews on Angie's List. I think I changed my choices based on some reviews (lots) I found on some of the companies. Calling tomorrow.

Last edited by SCtoLongIsland; 09-01-2013 at 09:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island