Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:39 PM

27 posts, read 93,338 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a friend that is interested in moving here for a position in the Hicksville/Plainsview area. Main concern is affordable rent, access to car (I hear parking is not an issue like it is in the city) and perhaps access to city via rail. She was also looking into Queens but I think it maybe beneficial to live outside the city for tax purposes at least until she gets on her feet. Any ideas on the western most parts of LI that fits this bill or perhaps eastern most part of queens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVtoNY View Post
Hello,

I have a friend that is interested in moving here for a position in the Hicksville/Plainsview area. Main concern is affordable rent, access to car (I hear parking is not an issue like it is in the city) and perhaps access to city via rail. She was also looking into Queens but I it maybe beneficial to live outside the city for tax purposes at least until she gets on her feet. Any ideas on the western most parts of LI that fits this bill or perhaps eastern most part of queens?

What's "affordable"??
For some people $1,200 is affordable, for others, $1,500, etc...

Old 09-04-2013, 06:35 AM

Great point. She wants to keep it <$1000 (this is with room share) and temporary (~3 months) while she gets settled in the area and finds something more permanent.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVtoNY View Post
Great point. She wants to keep it <$1000 (this is with room share) and temporary (~3 months) while she gets settled in the area and finds something more permanent.
Short term rentals of any kind are extremely difficult to find on Long Island (except long term stay hotels like the Residence Inn, etc.).
Your friend might want to ask the HR people at her new place of employment for suggestions for short term accommodations.

FYI, on Long Island, the tenant pays the fee! Which is why most rentals are listed with real estate companies; landlords just as soon let Realtors do the work since it doesn't cost them anything.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:05 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,761 times
Her best bet would be talking to HR about short-term accommodations while she finds a permanent place. The Nassau County rental market in decent areas will be somewhat tight at <$1000 (even with roommates), and short-term rentals usually pay premium prices around here.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 AM

Awesome, thanks for the info, wasn't too sure of the rental market in the area, I guess I'll recommend she focus her search in the queens area as I am not confident about HR placing her short term accommodations.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 PM

192 posts, read 354,945 times
Forest Hills (in Queens) may be a good option. I just moved out to LI from Forest Hills. I commuted from there to Westbury (just west of Hicksville) and it only took about 40 minutes in rush hour, 20 minutes in the evening with no traffic. She may be able to find a studio in her price range.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:15 PM

158 posts, read 379,688 times
One possibility is to rent part of a house that's for sale. We did this while we were in between houses and signed a 4-month agreement.

Matt

Old 09-04-2013, 01:58 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
"more permanent place" also means paying LI taxes which she might do better with city tax and finding a cheaper place there. A town like Hicksville which is more affordable ($350k homes) still has $8k in property (and school) taxes.

If that is not her price range, she may want to find a place in NYC to begin with and skip the hassle.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:54 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
"more permanent place" also means paying LI taxes which she might do better with city tax and finding a cheaper place there. A town like Hicksville which is more affordable ($350k homes) still has $8k in property (and school) taxes.

If that is not her price range, she may want to find a place in NYC to begin with and skip the hassle.
I think you're getting waaaay ahead of yourself here. I took OP to mean "year+ lease" by "more permanent", not buying a home. Someone who needs to keep their rent below $1K/month is very unlikely to be in a position to afford to buy a home/condo/apartment, no matter what the tax burden is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: