Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,007 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My son was born with spina bifida. We are looking to make the move from NYC to Long Island when he turns 3, which is next summer. I have been trying to find information on the best school districts that work with IEPs. My son will most likely need more help in the physical department than anything else. Does anyone have any ideas? There are so many schools / towns its quite overwhelming! We are open to all of LI, but if possible would like to stay west of huntington. Again though, would go further east if necessary.

Thanks!
Tova
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 07:52 PM

7,929 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Is he wheelchair bound or require use of a walker? On LI school districts can refer the more physically handicapped students to BOCES program (kind of like NYC's District 75) , Henry Viscardi School (Albertson), or UCP in Nassau or Suffolk Counties.

For children who just need a little extra PT, that can be delivered within his school environment. All districts either have contracted or employed PTs to ensure compliance with his IEP.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:24 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Budget?

Old 09-08-2013, 07:07 AM

570 posts, read 1,215,110 times
Right now, while your son is a preschooler, he would be referred by your district to a special needs school such as those run by BOCES or others.

When he reaches Kindergarten age, the question will be whether he needs to stay in a special needs school or can be mainstreamed into the public school building - all this will depend on his condition and needs. I'm sure you know about "least restrictive environment" as the goal for his placement. You might want to talk to a few Special Education Directors in districts of interest to you to see what they say about what is available in-district.

Huntington has an excellent special ed program. You can call Nancy Wilson at 631-673-2115. There is also a very active SEPTA in the district. Huntington Public Schools, NY, click on Resources, scroll down to Special Ed on the left side of the page.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:13 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
There is, bar none, no finer school for your son than the Viscardi school in Albertson. Google Henry Viscardi, and read his story and you will not need any further convincing. It is a school that is barrier free and at the forefront for children with such disabilities. Simply amazing. I was a certified sports official for adapted sports for the disabled and I know of no finer program than Viscardi.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,007 times
Thanks for all the replies. He does not use a wheelchair or walker, he walks with orthotics but will need assistance if there are lots of steps or far distances, i would assume- he is still only 2. I would like to have him enrolled in an inclusive program and not boces, as the only limitation he has is physical- cognitively he is ahead of where he should be. I want to make sure that he is able to get the help he needs going from one place to the other when needed. Henry Viscardi is a great school and program, we have heard only good things, I just dont think it is the right fit for my son.

Thanks 7CatMom- we have heard great things about Huntington so will definitely give Nancy a call and look into it further. We also heard HHH is a great district as well- this true?

Old 09-08-2013, 04:44 PM

140 posts, read 214,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Budget?
Misplaced question for this type of question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island