Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:50 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1458 View Post
I don't know why everybody is arguing about the parking at this place ..Cars,trucks ,bikes and motorcycles can park there , no one is getting stuck !!! its graveled perfect for all vehicles . the parking pass generates MONEY , period ...
No arguing. The OP didn't get a yearly $29 fishing license nor a $65 night fishing license ($94). So he gambled and lost and now is ranting because he has to pay $210. Nothing is free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 08:23 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I've been driving 4x4's longer than you have. My first 4x4 was a K5 Blazer and it was considered as a truck upwards of the early 80's. In the 80's there was nothing on them remotely that felt sport or recreational. All the small utility trucks had a requirement similar to the first minivans that allowed them to be classified as non-commercial (I think it was 89 when the laws started changing). It had to have windows on all sides and first/second row seating. Also pickups were allowed on the parkways if they had a rear facing bench in the bed (how do you think the Subaru Brat was made legal to drive everywhere?) and/or a windowed bed cover.

Just look at the Islip code and its date changes:
http://ecode360.com/14250228

Your list of trucks is not comparing apples to apples. Some were small and some were large. The early full size ones were pulled over on the parkways because they looked commercial. Drive out of NY/NJ and there was no distinction. Now back to the thread where the OP thinks a AWD is the same as a 4x4.
I don't recall the K5s, Broncos and Ram Chargers being banned from the parkways, were they?

Old 09-14-2013, 07:18 PM

25 posts, read 41,980 times
Years ago before the law was changed to allow pickups on the parkways, I owned a full size Bronco and never had a problem driving on the parkways because it had passenger car plates. If I recall, the law at that time would allow pickups to be reclassified as non commercial if they installed a cap and seats in the back, which is basically what the Bronco already was.
Also, I used to have the 4x4 state permit to allow fishing off of Ocean Parkway. It wasn't that expensive and I don't see why anyone wouldn't just get the right permit in the first place.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham1010 View Post
I go fishing on Green Island, off the Wantagh Parkway, which requires a night or 4WD license to be able to park there. Totally asinine if you ask me, because there is no reason for these requirements. Around there is signs that say violators can be ticketed/towed.

So the other day I am fishing there without a permit, and as I am walking out in comes a cop. He sees me getting into in my car and stops right behind me, blocking me. He then asks for license/registration, which I give to him.

He starts to write me a ticket, and THEN gets onto the radio and orders a tow truck! Moderator cut: language 10minutes later, and the tow guy says "oh, this is an all wheel drive car, we need the flat bed truck for this. I beg the guy, please don't tow me. He says "ok, you can just pay us now if thats fine with the trooper. Trooper is fine with it.

I have then then cough up 180 bucks for the tow truck company, and then the trooper drives off.

Yeah, i was parking illegally and deserve the 130 dollar ticket, but to block me in and call the tow truck? Moderator cut: language removed
Yes he can do this, but I think it was OVERKILL to give you a ticket AND call for the tow!

The ticket was more than good enough for you to learn your lesson!

Someone must have peed in his Cheerios for sure!

A real $@^%%$ for sure!

In the future, just get yourself the proper permits/licenses and enjoy your fishing, okay?

Old 09-14-2013, 08:16 PM

140 posts, read 214,446 times
The tow company probly splits the money with the police.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:45 PM

93 posts, read 139,735 times
The law may be the law and must be respected, but I feel that the officer may have created his own rule, and out of line by blocking the vehicle to await the tow truck. Could there be a possibility that every vehicle held hostage by the police means a cut from the towing company? Note: the mentioning of the officer’s consent concerning the cash payment, that appears very suspicious; I would definitely file a complaint, you were right there, all he had to do is give you the summon that you deserved, the tow was unnecessary and uncalled for.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 AM

Under NYS Law, the OP couldn't be towed if he occupied the vehicle. So am I missing something here?

Quote:

A vehicle may not be removed if it is occupied by any person.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/ADC/19/1/2/19-169.1

Old 09-16-2013, 08:01 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
Quote:
Under NYS Law, the OP couldn't be towed if he occupied the vehicle. So am I missing something here?

That law is specifically for vehicles on private property. This was public property in which a permit was needed for access. It was illegal for him to have been there. Bottom line, end of story.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:03 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Quote:

That is for private property. This was public land, the laws may be different.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
That law is specifically for vehicles on private property. This was public property in which a permit was needed for access. It was illegal for him to have been there. Bottom line, end of story.
Look up any County. Being Public or Private does not make a difference. If a car is occupied, it cannot be towed. We know it was illegal for him to be there without permits, but after the issuance of the ticket it was illegal to block him from leaving (unless he was under arrest). That falls into the gray area of kidnapping laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island